hcsvader

Jump from Paraglider

I will have the opportunity to do some jumps from a tandem paraglider and am looking for info from anyone who has done this before. Things to think about, possible hazards, wtf scenarios, etc.

Will be jumping my skydive gear.
Ground Launch from mountain.

Any info or advice would be appreciated :)
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

just thinking about the locations paragliders exit from, where the fly & where they get their thermals from = mountains, lots of woods etc - gives me the creeps :o

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Absolut

Remember: it's more or less a dead air jump. Calculate extra height for getting stable. Have fun :-)

yeah thats something to consider, not so much the getting stable part but the altitude it will require to build up air speed for deployment.
Have you seen my pants?

feuergnom

just thinking about the locations paragliders exit from, where the fly & where they get their thermals from = mountains, lots of woods etc - gives me the creeps :o

So wind/thermal/turbulance conditions in the landing area.
Have you seen my pants?

be careful of snagpoints.
be careful not to hit your pilot on exit
have a Sabre1 and a big pilot chute
altitude is not what you think
always have a No-Go alternative
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Hopefully your tandem partner will have done this before and understands the extra weight, swing on exit, etc.
You'll not want to "jump" as much as fall off as smoothly as you can.
Expect to not be stable in the first 2-3 seconds the first couple of times you do this. After that, it'll seem easy.
If the pilot isn't using the speed bar, you can likely stand on his feet to help situate you on the edge.
Keep your head up.
Watch for the snag points mentioned elsewhere in this thread.
Smile.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far, pilot is experienced but there may be a bit of a language barrier. Still a couple of weeks away from this foolishness. Just want to think about as many things as possible.

does anyone know if you can zero a digital alti (N3) at the landing area and then hike/drive to the exit point? will it track a slow climb?
I also have an analog alti.

I'm thinking a minimum exit alti will be around 3000' I'm jumping a safire so probably want ~8 second delay and a pack for fast opening. Will see if I can find a bigger PC.

anyone have a reference for airspeed VS delay with dead air exit? would be good to know.

thanks again :)

Have you seen my pants?

Really wishing I had a base rig at the moment. kind of gave up on that idea after moving to Australia.

Went out for a look at the area today. Decent (small) sized landing area in the valley, massive freshwater lake as an out…

3000' should be a very easy altitude to reach, some guys today were getting +5000'

things look good to go for tomorrow :)

Side note from today, paraglider pilots fucking suck at landing!
Have you seen my pants?

If they are gaining 1000's of feet, your pilot is either very good or he has no clue about what he is going to do if he wishes to fly a tandem solo in these conditions
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

piisfish

If they are gaining 1000's of feet, your pilot is either very good or he has no clue about what he is going to do if he wishes to fly a tandem solo in these conditions

Good point...Even correctly loaded paragliders are sketchy at the best of times they dont like turbulence etc....ive had a 14m speedwing collapse in turbulence.....imagine a massive underloaded tandem canopy fuck that shit
FTMC

hcsvader

massive freshwater lake as an out…

That's not what I'd consider to be a great option as an out. Make sure you're really practiced your water landing EPs. In my mind they're a really dangerous option.

I'd even consider taking a SpareAir bottle with me.

piisfish

be careful of snagpoints.
be careful not to hit your pilot on exit
have a Sabre1 and a big pilot chute
altitude is not what you think
always have a No-Go alternative

If you actually get to terminal, is a big pilot chute really a good idea ? Too big might give you a hard opening, right ?
Life is short ... jump often.

Everybody's kidding about this, right? I disagree with about everything I've read in this thread. I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but here goes.

Best advice I can give you is this:
Don't do it.

You're taking parachuting into an abstract environment. If you don't know enough about what you're doing to suss out every detail of every aspect of this, and pull off this jump confidently and competently without needing to seek advice on an internet forum, then don't do it.

Skydiving gear? I'll address altitude in a moment, but for what you're considering, base gear would probably be more appropriate, because the environment would be more like a base jump. Don't do it.

Altitude? You think you're going to get 3,000 to 5,000 feet? Really? I don't know much about paragliding, and I don't know where you're flying from, and if I'm wrong about this then I'm wrong and excuse me, but I doubt you'll get that. Unless you're flying from some serious mountains, most places I'm aware of people paragliding around where I'm from, you're more likely to get from a few hundred feet to maybe a bit over a grand. Again, if I'm wrong about this part and you're seriously going to get thousands of feet to work with, then perhaps you can disregard most of my post, but make damn sure what you're going to get before you do this.

Altitude point #2. Which altimeter to use? Unless you can absolutely guarantee thousands of feet and specifically where you're going to land, then leave your altimeters at home. If you don't know what altitude you're at and what you have to work with from a purely visual perspective, then don't do it.

Your pilot is experienced, but there may be a language barrier? If this guy's not your buddy and someone you can confidently work with and have no communication issues, then don't do it.

Here's the scenario: You think you're going to have thousands of feet and know exactly where you're going to land. So what happens if you climb on this guy's glider with your bagged and slidered skydiving rig, then at some point when you're maybe 500 feet over not at all where you thought you'd be, well you cant really tell what this guy's saying but you're pretty sure he wants you to leave now - what then?

Turbulence? Be prepared for that, but yeah, impacting at bridle stretch would be pretty turbulent.

Again - if I'm wrong about the altitude thing, and you're absolutely positively going to have 3,000' or better to work with, then maybe you can disregard most of what I've said. But I'll repeat what I think is the most important thing I have said:

You're taking parachuting into an abstract environment. If you don't know enough about what you're doing to suss out every detail of every aspect of this, and pull off this jump confidently and competently without needing to seek advice on an internet forum, then don't do it.

Please.

dudeman17

Seeking advice is part of learning. Assuming you know enough to plan every detail without asking anybody for advice is pretty arrogant and could equally lead you down the wrong path.

Now blindly following advice from people you don't know - fair enough, that's dumb. But ASKING for advice? We should never berate that in a forum environment.

yoink

***massive freshwater lake as an out…

That's not what I'd consider to be a great option as an out. Make sure you're really practiced your water landing EPs. In my mind they're a really dangerous option.

I'd even consider taking a SpareAir bottle with me.

I think its a very viable option for a safe alternative.
The water is still, and not very deep.
There is a dedicated rescue boat for the paragliders as well as water rescue emergency persons, who work along side the paragliders here. Pulled 2 out of the water yesterday.

I have done live water landings.

So yes in this scenario I feel a water landing is a very safe and viable option.
Just for fun we may but an inflatable behind the rescue boat for some accuracy fun :P
Have you seen my pants?

yoink

Seeking advice is part of learning. Assuming you know enough to plan every detail without asking anybody for advice is pretty arrogant and could equally lead you down the wrong path.

Now blindly following advice from people you don't know - fair enough, that's dumb. But ASKING for advice? We should never berate that in a forum environment.

Thanks for that :)
It would be stupid to assume I know every detail about anything, and that is kind of the purpose of these forums.

To discuss things :|

I spent the day on the rescue boat with 4 experienced pilots who have done this before, language is not a problem.

everything looks good to go for today provided the weather plays nice :)

Thanks everyone for the input :)
Have you seen my pants?

Im planning to do this one day but solo from my own paraglider that I dont like or use anymore..but with a base rig. The scariest part is still just flying one of those deathtraps they call a paraglider lol
FTMC