dfa2006

Skydiving for a living, living the dream.

I know this topic has been covered lots. But can't find a post that relates to my situation, so here it goes.... I'm 25 years old, single, no kids, 400 jumps 2 years in the sport with my coach rating soon to get my AFFI. I love teaching and learning. And just love hanging out at the DZ even if I'm not jumping. I have a 100k a year job right now but dread going to work everyday, but the only time I'm truly happy is when I'm at the DZ. I spend all my waking hours day dreaming about my next jump or visiting friends at the dz. So here is my plan... Ready?... Work for 2 more years, get every rating possible. Learn to camera fly. Buy a nice RV trailer, bank up a bunch of money, sell my house. And start living the dream! Crazy or not? Just wondering if anyone else in the industry has been in this spot? I'm seriously considering doing it. I'd rather make 20-25k a year and be happy 7 days a week then be happy 2 days a week and make a 100k. Or should I just keep it a weekend hobby? Everyone I tell this plan to thinks I'm nuts for wanting to leave my current job. Let me know the hard realities everyone. FYI I'll have around 1,000-1,200 jumps and my TI, AFFI, and IAD rating by then. Any advice is welcome

This. The dream may eventually seem like work, too, so don't burn any bridges. Nothing wrong with leaving a soul-sucking job.

Some people never get sick of it, others do.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have thought the same. I make about 80k, and dream about cutting away. But the reality is that if you want to kill the hobby you love, do it for a living. It will be fun for a while, but then it won't be as much fun. Then it's fun but not as much fun as scuba that you can't afford to do any more. Then you have this huge gap in your resume to explain once you wake up and decide you want to make enough to retire some day.

Don't fall for the whole skydiving is freedom and freedom is happiness. Fuck that hippy shit. Money = freedom & pussy & a dope RV to drive the the DZ in & health care for swooping accidents & tunnel time & not worrying how many jumps you can afford to make in a day.

Make hay while the time is right. People who think otherwise grew up poor and have never tasted the good life.

Make money fuck b!tches

Sounds like a great idea. Keep the house and rent it out. After 20 or so years that will be your retirement account. When you cutaway from the real job, have everything paid off for your DZ adventure. RV, rigs, camera etc. and a bit of cash in the bank. Have health insurance. And get a rigger's ticket for the bad weather days and learn to pack tandems.
A guy with a good attitude and some skills can make a lot of cash at a DZ.
Just beware. Sometimes turning your hobby into a job isn't the fun you expected.
Good Luck!

I'm a electrician, that includes some overtime. The problem is I hit the top to early and I have no chance of advancement and this industry can go to hell at anytime. So I'm looking to go do what I truly love while I'm still young single and no tie downs. And yes I'm sure any job will lose it's luster. But I have lived the usual blue-collar life all my life and have realized it's not for me. I'd rather live a fun-exciting-unknown life then chase the almighty dollar, job security, blue house on the corner with a white picket fence type life. I know things may change but I can't foresee ever getting tired of a DZ life.
Keeping my current house and renting it out is a good idea. Then I have a fall back if needed. I have a strong work ethic so I'd be willing to do whatever is necessary around the DZ (rigger, TI, Camera,Packing whatever)

I don't think it's the best idea. At some point you will grow sick of skydiving if you do it as your main job. It may take some time, but you'll eventually run into DZ politics, a crap month where you don't make any money...and winter if that happens where you live. Best way to do it would be to work weekends and keep your regular job. Yes, the skydive itself will always be fun, but if you make skydiving your job you'll eventually find yourself dreading being at the dz except for those 3-4 minutes you spend in the sky making money one jump at a time.

As an electrician, you can probably also do electrical work for the DZ (if you're licensed). Which has the added advantage of keeping your hand in.

And it will expose you to lots of people and technologies, so that if DZ life palls after awhile, you'll have a few new directions to explore.

Your life is your primary career, and not the other way around. Make a list of possible problems and how you'd deal with them, and if you can see the way, go for it with gusto.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just can't see how I would get sick of it. I'm a easy going guy, I don't get involved in politics. I love seeing the smile on a first time tandem. I hate my job that I'm at now, the only thing that keeps me is the money in which I spend the majority on skydiving lol. So basically I sacrifice my health and happiness for money. In which I spend to recover my health and happiness. I guess I've answered my own question. I'm going to go for it. So anymore advice anyone has who be appreciated :)

Hints: learn to enjoy cooking. It makes eating cheap much more fun. This means finding a style that works for you: quick, fussy, healthy, sweet, parties -- there's a lot of different stuff. It helps to build relationships outside of the specific structure of skydiving, even if it's with the same people.

Listen to Dave Ramsay for financial advice until you're comfortable. You'll have more money in the long run. Always live below your means.

And remember why you're doing it, and keep true to that.

Wendy P.

Right now you have enough disposable income to fund your habit and your rating - a very nice position to be in. You're also young and full of piss and vinegar. These are all very good "problems" to have. You have a house and presumably a nest egg / emergency fund. Again, all very good things to have. Also, a situation that may not be the norm for most instructors, divemasters and high "fun" (allegedly) jobs that come with some income security issues.

Pick up your rating. Become the weekend guy. Every day, every weekend, every week, every month. Sit on the deck waiting for the student that never shows up while your friends fun jump and you don't get paid.

The above is a bit dramatic, of course. If you want to quit tomorrow, more power to you. I'm always happy to see people get joy out of teaching their craft to new people and creating more skydivers. But you don't have to please me.

There are many, many threads like this on the forum. In almost all cases it is very rewarding...but just be aware of the reality and don't get stars in your eyes about it. At the end of the day it is about the student...if teaching them gives you joy and you can deal with the other issues - go for it. Just make sure you make an informed decision.

I'm a electrician, that includes some overtime.

Seems like the kind of work you could do 1-3 days a week and be at the DZ the rest of the time. I know a few people who work mornings or evenings at one job and afternoons/weekends at the dz and manage to have health insurance and steady income that isn't dependent on the weather.

why make it an either/or when you can do both and mitigate the financial risk all the while keeping your skills/resume current?

Just wondering if anyone else in the industry has been in this spot?

Yep, almost that exact spot 16 years ago. Seriously.

Here's the deal. It will be great, it will suck, you will hate some days, and love others.

You will make great friends, and some enemies.

You will become fed up, but you will learn to cope, you will produce change, and you will also change yourself.

You will laugh, and you will cry.

You probably won't regret any of it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

dfa2006

I just can't see how I would get sick of it. I'm a easy going guy, I don't get involved in politics. I love seeing the smile on a first time tandem. I hate my job that I'm at now, the only thing that keeps me is the money in which I spend the majority on skydiving lol. So basically I sacrifice my health and happiness for money. In which I spend to recover my health and happiness. I guess I've answered my own question. I'm going to go for it. So anymore advice anyone has who be appreciated :)

You say you don't get involved in politics now, but just wait. Work in skydiving long enough and politics will affect you in some way. At 400 jumps you can't ever imagine being sick of it. Wait until you have 1000, 2000, or 3000 work jumps. It's not the same once you start working in it

diablopilot

Just wondering if anyone else in the industry has been in this spot?

Yep, almost that exact spot 16 years ago. Seriously.

Here's the deal. It will be great, it will suck, you will hate some days, and love others.

You will make great friends, and some enemies.

You will become fed up, but you will learn to cope, you will produce change, and you will also change yourself.

You will laugh, and you will cry.

You probably won't regret any of it.

If you had it all to do over again, would you make the same choice?

Would I make the same choice? Would I have driven down the same Highway?

Yes.

I might have change lanes differently, or taken a couple different sidetracks, maybe passed on a path or two, but then hindsight is 20/20.

I don't regret the main choice at all.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.