pchapman

Bob Wright (Grand Bend, Ontario, Canada)

Bob Wright, with 15,734 jumps, may be known to some of you out there from having been on a bunch of the World Record RW formations, through to the Thailand 400 way. (Listed formally as Robert Wright in the record.)

He was also a pioneer in Canadian skydiving instruction, being one of the first here to start students on ram-air parachutes (in 1982), and one of the first to do PFF instruction (like the US AFF).

I'm sorry I don't know the precise details!

He ran a small DZ for 40 years, specializing in PFF, with no tandems at all, and I think was always on as many of the PFF instructional jumps he could. That continued right through this year, at age 73, before his unexpected passing.

Bob was my own first jump instructor back in '88.

From his obit online:

Passed away suddenly in his 73rd year on Monday, September 26, 2022 at home in Grand Bend, Ontario. Beloved husband and best friend of Mary Elizabeth Wright (nee Sutherland).  He is survived and mourned by his sister-in-law and brothers-in-law, Louise (nee Sutherland) and David Stanley of Welland; Hugh Sutherland of Thorold and niece and nephews Kathleen Stanley, Robert Stanley, Connor and Aidan Sutherland.  Predeceased by his parents Lillian Evelyn (nee Richardson) and Robert Howard Wright of Alymer, Quebec.

Born in Ottawa, Bob grew up in Aylmer, Quebec and studied at Carleton University, doing graduate studies at Western University, London, in Physics and Computer Science.  Bob became passionate about skydiving with his first jump on October 17, 1970 and never looked back.  He became active in the Canadian Sport Parachuting Association and devoted his life to teaching eager beginners and novices to skydive safely.  Bob was a pioneer who respected his roots and looked ahead to the future.  Large formation skydives were his passion, including the 400-way world record in Thailand in 2006. His motto was "it's always sunny above the clouds".  After 15,734 jumps and 40 years of operating Skydive Grand Bend, he gave many skydivers memories that will last a lifetime.  

• Like 3