djvelour

CanPara Magazine....

Hiya all!

I am currently doing some research on an article I plan on writing for Parachutist Magazine. Does anyone have access to old copies of CanPara Magazine (the official mag of the Canadian Sport Parachute Association)? In particular I am looking for 1984-era issues. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Blue Skies

~Sammy~

Rather than start a new thread, I will pose my question about the latest radical change in CANPARA magazine's editorial policy?
CANPARA and CSPA have been fiercely anti-BASE for the last 30 years, yet the latest issue (June - August 2014) contains 2 articles about BASE jumping and homages to 2 Canadians who recently died while BASE jumping. One of the deceased was a dear friend: the best tandem mistress I ever trained.
I do not have an opinion on this issue. My only 2 BASE jumps were back in 1986, but I still often repair BASE gear for local jumpers. I also maintain tandem gear for 2 local skydiving schools.
Why the radical change in CANPARA editorial policy?

riggerrob

Rather than start a new thread, I will pose my question about the latest radical change in CANPARA magazine's editorial policy?
CANPARA and CSPA have been fiercely anti-BASE for the last 30 years, yet the latest issue (June - August 2014) contains 2 articles about BASE jumping and homages to 2 Canadians who recently died while BASE jumping. One of the deceased was a dear friend: the best tandem mistress I ever trained.
I do not have an opinion on this issue. My only 2 BASE jumps were back in 1986, but I still often repair BASE gear for local jumpers. I also maintain tandem gear for 2 local skydiving schools.

The articles about the jumpers who had died didn't actually say how they died, just mentioned base-jumping by name as one aspect Mike Koo participated in - and not mentioned in the Ricki Wurst article...

But I have to say, I think the attitude started to change a while ago. I mentioned some of Joe Stanley's early base-jumping in the article that was printed about him - gee, almost 10 years ago now. Unfortunately I don't seem to have a copy of it available on my computer, and I would have to look around to see where the magazine is...

And I believe when the cspa agm was held in Niagara Falls
a couple of years after that I sent in an article about the history of parachuting there including Bobby Leach and Vince Taylor from the Honeymoon Bridge, and talked of Jo Stanley's and Lonnie's jumps from the Skylon among others.

So I think the iron leash that used to bind the editor's hands has been loosening for a long time. But the articles in this one about the sport and Lonnie's accomplishments are certainly the most in-depth coverage of the discipline and were enjoyable to read.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

djvelour

Hiya all!

I am currently doing some research on an article I plan on writing for Parachutist Magazine. Does anyone have access to old copies of CanPara Magazine (the official mag of the Canadian Sport Parachute Association)? In particular I am looking for 1984-era issues. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!

Blue Skies

~Sammy~

are you looking for info about a specific event? or articles on something specific? If no one else has chimed up I may have a couple around, although I have actively gotten rid of a lot of magazines lately. I may also know someone else that would have access to them if I don't. You can pm me what you're looking for if you don't want to mention it here and I can see.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

Lise Hernandez Girouard has edited CANPARA for more than a year now.
I was asking about the bigger picture ... the 30-year picture.
Back during the early 1980s,(back when modern BASE-jumping was just getting started) CSPA was fiercely anti-BASE. I could understand CSPA trying to distance the association from BASE fatalities, but I suspect that CSPA was also trying to copy a USPA attitude about distancing skydiving from trespassing, lock- cutting, graffiti-painting, trash- strewing, etc. BASE jumpers.
I understand old-school CSPA logic, but wonder why the radical improvement in attitude towards BASE jumping??

Remster

New Editor in Chief?

Canpara editors have not had this level of freedom in the past. At least not since the BoD had to approve a $30,000 payout of a lawsuit to a non member DZO who was liabled in print by one of the editors.

The prohibition against BASE coverage was dictated by the BoD under pressure from the T&SC chair. Rob is correct, something has changed.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The reason we allowed a BASE article in Canpara was because Lonnie is a CSPA participant who not only tells a cautionary story about BASE, but shows how one man found the courage to continue living his life despite suffering a life altering accident. The article is meant to highlight a CSPA participant who has accomplished a first in the world.

Yes, I got that impression from reading the article. Another friend/CSPA Instructor/BASE jumper told me the same story a month earlier just after he helped Lonnie leap off the bridge.
I welcome CANPARA's new editorial policy, but wonder why CSPA took so many decades to change its policy about BASE?

For the old copies of CanPara see Beatnik on this forum.

Now, I was and I am a contributor of several skydiving magazines like : late Skydiving Magazine, Blue Skies magazine and Canpara. I am a translator for Canpara for many years and I never had the impression that CSPA was against BASE jumping. CSPA does not support BASE jumping which another story. Base Jumping as far as I know does not have a specific program and curriculum for the progression of a jumper. It is so far more a discipline learned from buddy to buddy. BASE jumping is a free discipline and has, so far, no organization on national or international level unlike discipline supported by CSPA like : SF, VSF, accuracy, crew, canopy piloting, freefly...etc for which elaborated programs exist. On the other hand, many BASE jumps have been illegal in the sense that they were made without landing zone owner permission. I am not blaming BASE jumpers, several of them are friends of mine. The legal aspect is to be considered should an organization such CSPA recognize it as a discipline. I am glad to see more and more towns, states... organizing BASE jumping supervised in specific events and locations.

There was a note accompanying the article published in Canpara about some BASE jumpers. CSPA while not supporting BASE jumping wanted to outline the contribution made by some jumpers of this discipline. I don't see a huge change at all. Just a recognition of some people involved in BASE jumping.

OTOH one has to remember that CSPA does not publish in Canpara texts and pictures illustrating breaking the Basic Safety Regulations. Canpara is read not only by jumpers members of the CSPA but is read by many other organizations such as Transport Canada, foreign associations head quarters, Aeroclub of Canada (from which CSPA is affiliated), Sport Canada, Canada coaching association... and because of that, has to be very cautious to remain credible, strong, imputable and responsible for the supported disciplines. ie CSPA has to be a bit on the conservative side. Also many new disciplines has been supported by CSPA recently when it was seen that there were more and more people practising them. I can name : freefly (head down, head up or figures), canopy piloting (distance, speed and accuracy), freestyle, sport accuracy...

I have to congratulate Lise Hernandez, editor of Canpara until August 2014 for the nice work done. It was a real pleasure to work whith her. Translation was really a team work between translators, reviewers and editor...yielding to a magazine of a great quality. Lise has already started a new discipline ie. wind tunnel freestyle choreography including music heard by the performer and the audience outside the tunnel a bit similar to figure ice skating. I wish Lise a lot of success.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

riggerrob

further to my previous post, I just found my copy of the 2006 June/July issue. The following are some excerpts from my article Niagara Falls and Parachuting History on pages 8 and 9. ALL these excerpts are about base-jumping. Interesting enuf, one section was about Lonnie...

1908 – 1920 – Bobby Leach

Leach, an expatriate Cornishman was the first man to successfully go over Niagara Falls in a barrel on July 25th, 1911. (Female school teacher Annie Taylor succeeded before Leach, but she was unable to parlay the stunt into any money.) On July 1st, 1908, Bobby Leach made a parachute descent from the 200-ft Upper Steel Arch Bridge in front of 3,000 spectators. The parachute was attached to a raised pole in the center of the bridge, and Leach sat on a small platform. Wind caused a problem, blowing the parachute from its fasening twice before Leach was able to jump. The stunt was performed with a Leo Steven’s chute covered with two large advertisements and Leach made $150 for the leap.

On August 14, 1920 Leach was again in the news. This time he dropped from an airplane at 2000 ft. in front of a crowd of 75,000 people. It had been intimated Leach might land in the river below the Falls, but he sailed too far inland, landing on his feet in a field just west of Fallsview. In 1925 Leach planned a jump from 10,000 ft., possibly a record an altitude record for that time, but this was cancelled after his backers offered him only $200 instead of the $300 he was asking.

1927 – Vincent Taylor

Inspired perhaps by tales Bobby Leach in New Zealand, 54-year-old Kiwi Vincent Taylor arrived in Niagara Falls on September 5th, 1927 to make a jump from the Falls View (Upper Steel Arch) Bridge. Taylor was driven halfway across the bridge in a car before running to the north side and fastening one end of his static line to the railing and leaping into space. Suspended beneath the bridge he then pulled another line to release the parachute.

1985 – Jo Stanley.

Two men parachuted off the Skylon on June 21, 1985. While the jumpers were never caught, Jo Stanley was one. In fact the jumpers’ van was stopped on the way out of the city after a description of the getaway vehicle was announced over the radio, but after being told it was ‘dirty laundry’ in the garbage bags in the back of the van, the police let them go. The following year another jumper, Dave Hicks, was caught in the parking lot after successfully jumping the tower.

In 1999, the last year before the tower put up protective netting around the viewing deck, Jeb Corliss was caught after jumping the Tower. Rumor has it he described sitting the police car with a female OPP officer waiting to find out what they would charge him with when she turned and said, ‘Man, are you ever HOT! My boyfriend’s cool, but you are – like – hot, man!’

1995 – Robert Overacker

In a small non-descript building on the US side of the Falls you can find a smashed jet ski on display. In 1995 a 39 year-old stuntman from California, Robert Overacker, tried to ride the jet ski over the Falls, deploying a rocket-propelled hang-glider emergency chute. Unfortunately the parachute was not connected properly and failed to save him. Overacker had tried to approach the Niagara Parks Commission about the stunt previously and had been stopped by friends on earlier attempts.

2000s – Lonnie Bissonnette

Since the netting was erected in 1999 there have been no more illegal jumps from the Skylon Tower, although local jumper Lonnie Bissonnette and his crew have found other objects where they could follow in the footsteps of early parachutist like Roderick Law and Bobby Leach. Following Lonnie’s successful participation in the 2001 World BASE Championships in Malaysia, he was allowed to do demonstration jumps from the Skylon.