3 3
kmzamani

Parachute open In the Aircraft

If a parachute is even partly open in the plane, it creates a HUGE risk of inflating immediately outside the door and ripping the tail off of the airplane. That is why we keep the door closed.

I have seen a few attempts at re-closing rigs in the airplane. Most were successful from a rigging point-of-view, but the user was too rattled to pull the correct handles in the correct sequence.

• Like 1

Everyone ride down?  Huh, interesting.

Not the way I've seen it done a couple times over the decades.

Just contain it out of the way and others jump. 

Although admittedly if others jump, that is a bit of a, "Screw you you dumbass, you can sit there white-knuckle clutching your damn parachute, we're going jumping like we planned" move....

Or in more detail, keep door closed, contain the parachute, shuffle the guy to the front of the Caravan for example (far from the door), then the guy stays in the plane (plus an instructor if he's a student), others jump.  It's not hard to hold on to or sit up against a spring loaded PC or a bagged main, holding it against a wall or bulkhead.   Or if it is a C-182, get him to the back corner and the rest could jump. Although there can be variations depending on experience levels, like deciding it is safer just to descend with the full load in the 182, because it is cramped or moving a scared student could be tricky or whatever. 

Sure one is assuming someone else isn't going to take the tail off on that very same jump run and leave the unfortunate jumper with an even crappier than usual situation!

But certainly everyone riding down is a valid thing to do.

• Like 2

In a large aircraft I might -just might- overlook people jumping if the open parachute is contained far away from the door by more than one person.

In a small aircraft like a 182 or 172 not so much. IMO the risk of fabric escaping containment and inflating is much larger. You'd get at least a talking to.

I'm no S&TA, but if you'd close your container and jump, I guess you'd get your ass grounded.

But then again, I've always been known as a cautious jumper.

• Like 1

Seen it happen a couple of times in large aircraft and both times the jumper went to the front and everyone got out after a go-around. Honestly, it doesn't present too much of a risk in a Caravan / Otter, etc. but you obviously couldn't consider that in a small Cessna.

47 minutes ago, RolandForbes said:

Saw this happen at like 2k in the DC-3 at Eloy. Fuckin dood took his rig off and repacked it in the aisle. I shit you not, a true cowboy

If it's just a matter of reclosing the main container and restowin the pilot chute, I'd be mostly ok with that.

In a DC-3, you have plenty of time. There wouldn't be any rush to close it fast.

• Like 1

(edited)

We don't turn off the AAD on our student rigs - we just tell the pilot to descend slow enough.

I don't see the point of chopping the main. It just creates opportunity for someone to forget about the RSL and deploy their reserve accidentally.

Main thing is that it doesn't go out of the door!

Edit: I suppose an aircraft emergency could develop and it'd be easier to get out not holding your main in your hands. If you're ever in freefall holding your d-bag, you're having a bad day...

Edited by hodges
  • Like 2