1 1
Phil1111

Fascists in Italy Return to Power

Giorgia Meloni, newly elected as Italy’s next prime minister, has rejected claims that a government led by her far-right party could herald a fascist revival, instead likening her tribe to Britain’s ruling Conservatives.

Italians have elected a female version of trump. “There’s a leftist ideology, so-called globalist,” ...Meloni’s enemies list is familiar: “LGBT lobbies” that are out to harm women and the family by destroying “gender identity”; George Soros, an international speculator,” she has said, who finances global “mass immigration” that threatens a Great Replacement of white, native-born Italians. Meloni shows affinity for authoritarian strongmen: Like Marine Le Pen, until recently the leader of the National Rally party in France, Meloni has expressed support for Russian President Vladimir Putin...

Meloni, though, has never fully disavowed her connection to Italy’s neofascist tradition...“I think Mussolini was a good politician,” she told a TV interviewer. “Everything he did, he did for Italy.”...Since 2017, she has tweeted repeatedly that Italian identity is being deliberately erased by globalists such as Soros and European Union officials, who have conspired to unleash “uncontrolled mass immigration.”

Now Italy has a female match for Hungary's Orban. Someone for Liz Truss to look up to.

The danger of right wing extremists is growing steadily.

Edited by Phil1111

3 hours ago, Bokdrol said:

Do expand on this....

Well Meloni stated she is just like Liz, they are both leaders of European countries, both women. According to the statement of Meloni they have the same political ideology.

Seems pretty straight forward.

Oh! and the British pound was trading at 1.03 to the US dollar today.

4 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Seems pretty straight forward.

Not to me, but then I only live and vote here....and I wouldn't describe Truss as a right wing, neo-fascist, anti-immigration, isolationist, Putin supporter in any shape of form. I'd say, more than Truss looking up to her, it's vice versa and there's not much Truss can do about that, is there? She is blond, though, I'll give you that. 

14 minutes ago, Bokdrol said:

Not to me, but then I only live and vote here....and I wouldn't describe Truss as a right wing, neo-fascist, anti-immigration, isolationist, Putin supporter in any shape of form. I'd say, more than Truss looking up to her, it's vice versa and there's not much Truss can do about that, is there? She is blond, though, I'll give you that. 

You are probably correct. Truss wants more immigration for instance.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/liz-truss-immigration-rules-relax-shortage-occupation-brexit-b1027904.html

She would seen to be a classic fiscal conservative more than anything else.

10 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Meloni has expressed support for Russian President Vladimir Putin

My limited knowledge of this indicates the opposite - that she's actually quite supportive of Ukraine against Russia.

One of Liz Truss' good qualities is her support for Ukraine, but right now her claim to fame is she's crashing the UK markets with some rather brain-dead policies even rich bankers in the City are betting against. (Who by the way, are the main beneficiaries in her round of tax cuts)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/liz-truss-immigration-rules-relax-shortage-occupation-brexit-b1027904.html

Is massive extra government borrowing classically conservative?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bokdrol said:

Hopefully Liz can moderate Meloni's nutty ideas.

3 minutes ago, jakee said:

One of the problems with Fascists is that they have this nasty habit of not telling the truth about who they really are.

Other politicians of various denominations will also lie about intentions.

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

Yes and the ageing demographics of Italy are not good. Norwegians are not likely to go to Italy. Finding white, Italian speaking immigrants might be tough.

5 minutes ago, olofscience said:

My limited knowledge of this indicates the opposite - that she's actually quite supportive of Ukraine against Russia.

One of Liz Truss' good qualities is her support for Ukraine, but right now her claim to fame is she's crashing the UK markets with some rather brain-dead policies even rich bankers in the City are betting against. (Who by the way, are the main beneficiaries in her round of tax cuts)

Well sort of. She is for Ukraine but she has a coalition and some of them are very pro Putin. Coalitions are tricky propositions and politicians will sell their souls to the devil to remain in power.

14 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Well sort of. She is for Ukraine but she has a coalition and some of them are very pro Putin.

Well as I said, my knowledge of her is very limited.

Liz Truss, however is introducing herself and her policies to the UK right now, and it's not going very well...

4 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

All the way back to Reagan here in the US.

Not sure if that qualifies as 'classic', but there's a pretty good history (short term) of it.

Yes "personal responsibility" in spending only what you have, or can afford is long gone for conservatives.

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

All the way back to Reagan here in the US.

Not sure if that qualifies as 'classic', but there's a pretty good history (short term) of it.

Odd one isn’t it. What Conservatives classically do is very different from classic conservatism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

I wonder how she thinks that she will be doing this:  far right wins => vows to govern for all

Giorgia Meloni: Italy's far right wins election and vows to govern for all - BBC News

Seems like a pipe dream to me.

Jerry Baumchen

Italy had Berlusconi for many years. Somehow they survived that and they will somehow survive this. Oops, he is back as a Senator now!

Edited by gowlerk

12 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Italy had Berlusconi for many years. Somehow they survived that and they will somehow survive this. Oops, he is back as a Senator now!

You have a good point but he is a coalition partner for Meloni  and a close friend of Putin.

I've always wondered why trump and Berlusconi were not linked closer. Both love Putin, both are fascists and tax cheats. Both love under aged girls/children.

Berlusconi, 75, is accused of having sex with prostitute Karima El Mahroug, when she was just 17 years old

He is said to have paid women in cash, jewellery and cars to attend parties at his luxury villa at Arcore on the outskirts of the Milan

Asked if she saw politician 'pay and go to bed with underage girls' Brazilian Michelle Conceicao replied: 'Certainly that's true. I was there.'

Trial hears how party girls referred to Berlusconi by the codename 'Betty' in telephone calls

Nine years after being convicted of tax fraud, 'immortal' Silvio Berlusconi is set to return to the Senate and seeks a ‘director’ role in the new Italian government.26 September 2022

40 minutes ago, jakee said:

Alwys worth pointing out that the trains thing is a myth. for some reason a lot of people believe that whatever their faults, at least authoritarian strongmen leaders get things done. But it's simply not true. 

Phzzzzpt.

45 minutes ago, jakee said:

Alwys worth pointing out that the trains thing is a myth. for some reason a lot of people believe that whatever their faults, at least authoritarian strongmen leaders get things done. But it's simply not true. 

Pfffft.

The train isn't late. The train can't be late.

The clock is fast.

;P