leap_0f_faith

AFF student got sick after first jump

Hi everyone I'm Graeme, the instructor being discussed here, and it looks like it's time for me to join this conversation!

Before you all jump to conclusions about our operation being a scam, please allow me to add a couple of additional details about our experience here with this student.

Agreed, it's normal for a tandem student to get sick after their first jump, particularly if the instructor is doing excessive spirals. But what was not mentioned is that as well as being thoroughly incapacitated, there was also some BLOOD coming out in his vomit! This is highly irregular and seriously concerned me - hence the request to consult an aviation doctor before continuing.

I agree very strongly with Yoink's comments about what might happen if the student encounters a spinning malfunction or similar disorienting experience during AFF? We need to know that the student can perform and save his own ass in this high-pressure situation and in this case I was not convinced that he could do this!

What was also not mentioned is that we have some very specific restrictions for students applying for AFF. One of these is that they must be "sporty" and in good health - this student showed up slightly overweight, with a history of migraines, no experience of extreme sports and absolutely terrified. Of course we never get the perfect student, of course everyone is scared, and nobody is ever 100% prepared for AFF, but I felt that in this case he was neither physically nor mentally ready for it and, judging by his reaction from the first jump, I felt a safer option would be to POSTPONE the course. I invited him to come back in 6 months or a year's time after working on improving his health and maybe trying some other slightly less extreme sports (eg diving, flying, climbing) to work on facing his fears and work up towards skydiving, with the idea that he would be slightly less terrified during AFF!

As regards the payment, the course fees have not yet been paid and the issue is regarding an advance deposit of $765, which we insist on to keep instructors' schedules free for the duration of the course (we operate a one-on-one training system where each student gets their own "mentor" instructor). As this student did not meet the basic requirements, we were not willing to refund the deposit, but did still allow him to continue with the course, as it was not such a serious breach of the conditions (and obviously very open to discussion!) However I did explain that there would be no need for another deposit when he came back, and that we would discount the course fees to reflect the money un-used.

Anyway I'm very happy to report that this story has a happy ending: To our surprise, he has been to see an FAA doctor, he has got a note explaining what happened and why there was blood coming out (to our satisfaction), and he went for another tandem jump yesterday during which he performed much, much better, with no sickness at all and so we are continuing today with a ground school and AFF jumps!

Please wish us both luck!