kallend

Charles Philip Arthur George Windsor

Just now, kallend said:

You may not like him, but remember that you don't get to choose your parents.

I think he'll do OK, given the tight constraints of his new job;  QE2 is a tough act to follow.

I just wish he'd chosen to be King Arthur, which was an option.  He is, apparently, a Monty Python fan and offered the job of Court Jester to Eric Idle.

13 hours ago, obelixtim said:

73 year old finally gets a job....

Thats a job? A twice weekly dog and pony show for a portion of the public that likes that sort of stuff. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle recently  "The pair bought the nine-bedroom, 16-bathroom estate for a cool $14.65 million(US) in 2020 after quitting the royal family earlier that year — an estate with rose gardens, a tennis court, a tea house and a two-bedroom guest house. It’s reportedly the first home that both Prince Harry and Meghan had ever owned." At only 18,000 square feet. The poor dears!

Pretty good for a guy who served a couple years(10) as a helicopter pilot. I'm guessing that after living in mansions paid for by the British public. Only 18k square feet will cram their style. But they are toughing it out. The UK pays its military personnel too much by the look of things.

11 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Thats a job? A twice weekly dog and pony show for a portion of the public that likes that sort of stuff. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle recently  "The pair bought the nine-bedroom, 16-bathroom estate for a cool $14.65 million(US) in 2020 after quitting the royal family earlier that year — an estate with rose gardens, a tennis court, a tea house and a two-bedroom guest house. It’s reportedly the first home that both Prince Harry and Meghan had ever owned." At only 18,000 square feet. The poor dears!

Pretty good for a guy who served a couple years(10) as a helicopter pilot. I'm guessing that after living in mansions paid for by the British public. Only 18k square feet will cram their style. But they are toughing it out. The UK pays its military personnel too much by the look of things.

I'd take Harry over Cadet Bone Spurs any day.

19 minutes ago, kallend said:

Isn't that some sort of false equivalency. I will give Harry and Meghan credit for real jobs. For getting out. For principals.

As for the rest of the royals. Are they not akin the 1000 lb fat lady at the circus. Where the curious pay to see something vaguely obscene?

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Why? Harry and the Dotard would both seem equally unprepared and unqualified. The monarchy is kind of quaint and relatively harmless. But completely useless except as a tourist attraction. Rather like a circus to distract the population.

• Like 1

Just now, gowlerk said:

Why? Harry and the Dotard would both seem equally unprepared and unqualified. The monarchy is kind of quaint and relatively harmless. But completely useless except as a tourist attraction. Rather like a circus to distract the population.

Well, one served in Afghanistan, and the other avoided any service whatsoever and all his actions are for his own enrichment at the expense of others, is a proven con-man ,and even robbed his own "charitable" foundation. 

I'd say that was a major distinction.

If you can't tell the difference. . . . .

2 minutes ago, kallend said:

Well, one served in Afghanistan, and the other avoided any service whatsoever and all his actions are for his own enrichment at the expense of others, is a proven con-man ,and even robbed his own "charitable" foundation. 

I'd say that was a major distinction.

If you can't tell the difference. . . . .

Like Phil said, a false equivalency. I should not have commented.

1 minute ago, kallend said:

Just a way of avoiding defending his own position, when he can't actually defend it.

Well....the trouble with the monarchy is completely different from the problem with a populist politician. Institutional nepotism in choosing a Head of State is offensive to many people. Other people love the "tradition". For some unfathomable reason. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

except as a tourist attraction

And there you have it.

At this point, practically, that's pretty much all the Royal family is.

1. Head of state - sure, but no real teeth to do anything.
  2. CiC Armed forces - sure, likewise
  3. Defender of the Faith and Supreme Governor of the Church of England - honestly, who cares.

It's a legacy of centuries and centuries of history, and rightly or wrongly, a lot of what makes up the image of the UK.
They bring in more money than is spent on them. 

As a current UK resident, I honestly couldn't care less. Plus, I just got a much needed extra days pulic holiday on Monday because of the queens funeral.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Well....the trouble with the monarchy is completely different from the problem with a populist politician. Institutional nepotism in choosing a Head of State is offensive to many people. Other people love the "tradition". For some unfathomable reason. 

Incidentally - I totally sympathise and agree with Canadians, Kiwis and others who can't understand why the Queen (and now King) is THEIR head of state. 

Just now, Stumpy said:

As a current UK resident, I honestly couldn't care less. Plus, I just got a much needed extra days pulic holiday on Monday because of the queens funeral.

In Canada we are probably stuck with the monarchy for the foreseeable future. Moving away from it would need a change to the constitution and Canada is a pretty fragile coalition between Quebec and the rest of us. It's best to let sleeping dogs lie sometimes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Yes it is a job and having gone to school with the three sons of then Dutch Queen I can tell you it is one none of them want. It is an absolute shit job.

As far as the rest of the comment, how misogynistic do you have to be to assume only the man would be able to contribute?

4 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Yes it is a job and having gone to school with the three sons of then Dutch Queen I can tell you it is one none of them want. It is an absolute shit job.

As far as the rest of the comment, how misogynistic do you have to be to assume only the man would be able to contribute?

???? Not sure what exactly you are talking about. Harry doesn't have any job at all other than house husband as far as I can tell. He's got the same occupation as brenthutch. Maybe he can join us an an "anti-troll".

5 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

He does actually have other jobs now.

Sitting on BoDs to be window dressing? His Wiki entry about his current career is less than impessive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Harry,_Duke_of_Sussex#Civilian_career_and_investments

There is nothing wrong with inheriting large amounts of capital and prestige, but it's not an accomplishment gained through effort.

Edited by gowlerk

24 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Sitting on BoDs to be window dressing? His Wiki entry about his current career is less than impessive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Harry,_Duke_of_Sussex#Civilian_career_and_investments

There is nothing wrong with inheriting large amounts of capital and prestige, but it's not an accomplishment gained through effort.

Not sure why you are arguing about a non-member of the royal family to show being a monarch is not a job. Silly.

2 hours ago, Stumpy said:

And there you have it.

At this point, practically, that's pretty much all the Royal family is.

1. Head of state - sure, but no real teeth to do anything.
  2. CiC Armed forces - sure, likewise
  3. Defender of the Faith and Supreme Governor of the Church of England - honestly, who cares.

It's a legacy of centuries and centuries of history, and rightly or wrongly, a lot of what makes up the image of the UK.
They bring in more money than is spent on them. 

Sometimes Canada benefits from still having a monarch (Queen or King), though it is usually the Governor General who knocks heads together. Sometimes we need an aloof statesman to convince elected politicians of the best path.

For example" during the last exciting federal election, neither major party (Liberals or Conservatives) gained a clear majority. Incumbent Conservative P.M. Harper might have tried to stay on, but the Governor General called him and Liberal J. Trudeau to to the G.G.'s official residence and helped them hammer out a deal that saw a Liberal-NDP coalition take control.

The GG's heavy-handed methods are infinitely preferable to the American policy of rioting on Capital Hill.

Yes, Canadian politics can be boring and we like it that way. The Queen or King or Governor General adds a bit to the boredom.