JimmyB007

Question about downsizing

New to the sport just finishing up AFF and just to set this straight, in no way am I thinking about downsizing yet but just trying to wrap my mind around it a little more.

Are there big differences in canopies if you go from say 280 to 260. I calculated wingloading and the difference is very small. I'm sure it would fly a little faster but were only talking .0x in difference.

The reason I ask I was looking at containers online and some only hold up a 250-260 and would like to get my own rig someday.

Thanks in advance

If you want to get a rig sooner, rather than later, look for something that will give you a wingloading of about 1:1, but no more (my opinion). That would be a good place to aim for.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

To answer your question:

Not much.

Until you get smaller, one step down won't have a whole lot of difference.

Even when you start to get "not really big", the difference isn't huge. It just gets more noticeable.

Depending on what sort of gear selection your DZ has, you may well be down to a wingloading around 1:1 by the time you get your license. That's a good place for most people to get their first canopy.
1:1 is quick and responsive enough to be "fun", while still docile enough that you are less likely to hurt yourself unless you do something really foolish.

Brian Germain's wingload chart and accompanying article are good reading. There's a sticky in "Canopy Control and Swooping" that has a link to it.

As always, usual disclaimers: Consult your instructors, different people progress at different rates, individual results may vary, ect.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Unless you're an unusual shape or size jump club/rental rigs until you're ready (meaning you're instructor/s are happy) to go to a canopy that has a bit of performance. I would suggest (this is what I have done) having a hybrid (they pack about a size smaller) main like a PD Pulse, this will mean that if you buy a container that takes a 190 down to a 170 for example you could put a 210 in it first whilst you earn your wings and then drop a couple of canopy sizes on the same container.

I'll add something else, I have almost 100 jumps on my 210 and I'm comfortable landing it in any conditions, I had 3 demo jumps on a sabre2 190 about 30 jumps ago, flew it and landed it fine but still own and don't plan on changing my current canopy in the near future.

All sizes in this are used as an example and are not me telling you what size canopy you need