billvon

Women finding out the hard way

Kade and Kailee DeSpain were married about seven years ago.  They were both passionately anti-abortion and wanted to have kids as soon as possible.

Kailee: “I was just your quintessential pro-life Texan.”

Cade: “I was raised in central Texas by extremely Republican parents and grandparents.  One hundred percent pro-life.”

Then life  . . . happened.  Kailee got pregnant.  She miscarried her first pregnancy, and the next two.  She was at one point hospitalized for severe blood loss and clotting.  At that point she realized it was wrong to force other women to go through what she went through.  “It made me realize that pregnancy can be dangerous.  It made me think of my little sisters, and I wanted them to be able to have a choice if they ever had to go through something like that.”

They tried again - and again got pregnant.  This time the fetus is likely to make it to term, but will die as soon as it is born due to a chromosomal defect.  It is also a high risk pregnancy due to her history and to an abnormal placenta.  They decided to get an abortion to protect Kailee's life.  But in Texas there are no exceptions for nonviable fetuses - so they are fleeing Texas to go to a nearby blue state (New Mexico) to get the potentially lifesaving procedure.

Kailee: “I’ve never felt more betrayed by a place I was once so proud to be from.  How could you be so cruel as to pass a law that you know will hurt women and that you know will cause babies to be born in pain? How is that humane? How is that saving anybody?”

Her OB agrees.  She told the DeSpains "‘Do not get pregnant in Texas right now."  They are now looking at a move, which will mean losing their jobs, their friends and their families - but potentially saving Kailee's life.

It is sad to consider how many women are now going through this, and how many women will risk (even sacrifice) their lives to support a political agenda.  And I hope many republican women do not have to go through what Kailee is going through to learn this.

https://www.cbs7.com/2022/09/08/texas-woman-travels-abortion-after-learning-baby-wouldnt-survive/

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Kade and Kailee DeSpain were married about seven years ago.  They were both passionately anti-abortion and wanted to have kids as soon as possible.

Kailee: “I was just your quintessential pro-life Texan.”

Cade: “I was raised in central Texas by extremely Republican parents and grandparents.  One hundred percent pro-life.”

Then life  . . . happened.  Kailee got pregnant.  She miscarried her first pregnancy, and the next two.  She was at one point hospitalized for severe blood loss and clotting.  At that point she realized it was wrong to force other women to go through what she went through.  “It made me realize that pregnancy can be dangerous.  It made me think of my little sisters, and I wanted them to be able to have a choice if they ever had to go through something like that.”

They tried again - and again got pregnant.  This time the fetus is likely to make it to term, but will die as soon as it is born due to a chromosomal defect.  It is also a high risk pregnancy due to her history and to an abnormal placenta.  They decided to get an abortion to protect Kailee's life.  But in Texas there are no exceptions for nonviable fetuses - so they are fleeing Texas to go to a nearby blue state (New Mexico) to get the potentially lifesaving procedure.

Kailee: “I’ve never felt more betrayed by a place I was once so proud to be from.  How could you be so cruel as to pass a law that you know will hurt women and that you know will cause babies to be born in pain? How is that humane? How is that saving anybody?”

Her OB agrees.  She told the DeSpains "‘Do not get pregnant in Texas right now."  They are now looking at a move, which will mean losing their jobs, their friends and their families - but potentially saving Kailee's life.

It is sad to consider how many women are now going through this, and how many women will risk (even sacrifice) their lives to support a political agenda.  And I hope many republican women do not have to go through what Kailee is going through to learn this.

https://www.cbs7.com/2022/09/08/texas-woman-travels-abortion-after-learning-baby-wouldnt-survive/

Perhaps, but there can be healing through having the baby.