brenthutch

UK reverses on fracking

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I didn’t mention price so you must have confused me with Gowlerk (who did).  I would think that reliability would also be a consideration.

You implied it.

Gowlerk: renewables are cheaper

you: if it were true, then they would be chosen instead of X

So, you were implying price was the only factor. Nice try trying to slither out of that one.

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

You would? Wind is the second largest source of electricity in the UK. Working better than Texas electrical grid, or Jackson, Mississippi's water system.

Really?

“Average UK electricity prices per kWh averaged around 18.9 p/kWh in 2021, but will be closer to 51 p/kWh by the end of 2022; this is according to the latest data from the Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy” 

vs 12 cents in Texas 

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Oil companies are fracking more not less

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/us-oil-producers-ramp-up-fracking-sign-stronger-output-gains-2022-01-12/

And I live in the Marcellus shale formation and we have dozens of wells here in Happy Valley.  

And to take Skydekker’s “excellent” analogy one step further… yes anti cancer drugs aren’t without side effects but they are better than dying of cancer.  Just like fracking is better than energy poverty and freezing to death.

Living in Happy Valley you should get familiar with cancer drugs.

August 2022 "Young children living near fracking wells at birth are up to three times more likely to later develop leukemia, a new peer-reviewed study conducted by the Yale School of Public Health finds.

The alarming report, published on Wednesday in the Environmental Health Perspectives journal, looked at over 400 cases of acute lymphoblastic leukemia out of a sample of about 2,500 Pennsylvania children ages two to seven."

The peer reviewed study looked at over 400 cases of acute leukemia out of a sample of 2,500 Pennsylvania children ages two to seven

I guess if its cheap oil and gas and not your child its all good right Brent?

Edited by Phil1111

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

Really?

“Average UK electricity prices per kWh averaged around 18.9 p/kWh in 2021, but will be closer to 51 p/kWh by the end of 2022; this is according to the latest data from the Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy” 

vs 12 cents in Texas 

Cost means nothing when you can't get it. See Texan airport yesterday, or collapse of grid over winter.

Also, if you think working better is synonymous with cheaper, you are once again in bizarre territory.

lastly, cost to consumers is about 2 pounds annually per additional 1% of wind power. An overwhelming portion of the UK population supports wind power. 

39 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Everyone keeps saying that however if it were true GB would be building more windmills and solar panels instead of reversing on fracking and doubling down on the North Sea oil and gas fields.

You think the UK isn't building more windmills and solar panels? Intriguing. What led you to that conclusion?

46 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Everyone keeps saying that however if it were true GB would be building more windmills and solar panels instead of reversing on fracking and doubling down on the North Sea oil and gas fields.

What like this one?

https://www.zmescience.com/science/worlds-largest-offshore-wind-farm-goes-live-in-the-uk-31082022/

8 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Not enough to meet demand, hence the reversal on fracking.

Again more simplistic assumptions when you hardly understand anything.

A lot of building heating here is done with gas boilers which then circulates hot water through radiators. You can't easily convert that to not use gas.

Edited by olofscience

12 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Not enough to meet demand, hence the reversal on fracking.

Right, they're major projects which can't be as rapidly upscaled as drilling more can. What exactly is the conclusion you draw from that?

Plus, they quite literally can't meet the demand for gas because of how gas is currently used. Most homes in the UK use gas fired boilers for central heating and hot water. There are plans to phase those out - first stopping them from being installed in new homes and then incentivising replacement of them but that's a years to decades long project. In the meantime you can't just throw more electricity at houses that are designed to be heated with gas and expect everyone to be happy through the winter. This is pretty basic stuff.

1 minute ago, jakee said:

Right, they're major projects which can't be as rapidly upscaled as drilling more can. What exactly is the conclusion you draw from that?

Plus, they quite literally can't meet the demand for gas because of how gas is currently used. Most homes in the UK use gas fired boilers for central heating and hot water. There are plans to phase those out - first stopping them from being installed in new homes and then incentivising replacement of them but that's a years to decades long project. In the meantime you can't just throw more electricity at houses that are designed to be heated with gas and expect everyone to be happy through the winter. This is pretty basic stuff.

https://electrek.co/2022/03/23/how-insulation-and-heat-pumps-could-cut-the-uks-and-other-countries-need-for-russian-gas/

Let's say you have two cars, one that runs on gas and one that runs on electricity. Lets say you do about 60% of your driving in the ICE car and 40% in your electric car.

One day your beautiful healthy yoga instructor wife decides that she wants to be better satisfied and leaves. You meet a new partner and one day he suggests that in stead of the Chevron station you have been going to all along, he wants to switch to the Shell station to fill up the ICE car.

Brent will now have you believe this is a clear indication that electric cars are therefor useless.

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

"So, that’s 0.3% of households in the UK who will get subsidized heat pumps."

So obviously you see why the UK currently needing sources of natural gas is not a statement on the intrinsic benefits of gas vs renewables? 

14 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

And pretty basic stuff is what brent fails at.

I live in the UK, and my in-laws' property has a gas boiler. They want to convert to a heat pump but the heat exchanger takes a lot of space and there's just no space, it's an old Georgian house. If it's a listed property, then it's even more difficult to make modifications.

But brent thinks it's just about price and reliability. Only two items at a time.

Edited by olofscience

10 minutes ago, olofscience said:

And pretty basic stuff is what brent fails at.

I live in the UK, and my in-laws' property has a gas boiler. They want to convert to a heat pump but the heat exchanger takes a lot of space and there's just no space, it's an old Georgian house. If it's a listed property, then it's even more difficult to make modifications.

But brent thinks it's just about price and reliability. Only two items at a time.

When you move out of your mom’s basement and start paying your own bills you might have a different take on the matter of price.

BTW didn’t you say I could only handle one thing at a time?

Edited by brenthutch

13 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Wow, a lot of hate out there in Leftie Land tonight but I guess that is what happens when your dream of net-zero crumbles as the promises of the Paris Accord fall like dominoes.  

Possibly the least gracious way of admitting you have no clue what you’re talking about that I’ve seen, but effective at getting the message across.

Fun to see people still trying to throw facts around after all these years, as if *this* will be the time he comes around and starts listening.

Brent doesn't care. This is about cheering for his team, the score and stats mean nothing whatsoever to him. He just wants your attention, because it doesn't look like there's much else going on for him.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

When you move out of your mom’s basement and start paying your own bills you might have a different take on the matter of price.

It's okay to not be able to handle more than two variables in your brain.

It's also okay to make stuff up about me so you can feel better about yourself, it's a free country :rofl:

But could you actually reply to our points so we can move the discussion along?

10 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Hey Brent. Whatabout the cancer in children. Or are you avoiding that? Or just don't care?

Yes, people of all ages can and will become ill and die from a great many causes including fracking and other fossil mining activities... and also from the processes and materials that are mined and produced for 'green' energy solutions. I doubt you're losing sleep over the (approx.) 40000 Congolese children mining Cobalt.  Pick your battles, lots to choose from. In the larger picture, energy poverty is likely to harm or kill substantially more people than fracking.