2 2
Phil1111

Liz Truss, UK Conservative

17 hours ago, jakee said:

At this point if it was a straight choice I would actually take Boris back until the next election. Of all the things I thought I’d never hear myself say…XoX

Did you catch her getting dismembered on local radio? Would be funny if it wasn’t so tragic

• Like 2

As a committed Tory voter I have to say, though through gritted teeth, that we DO need a change of Government. Much as I dislike Starmer and his deputy, I doubt that they could sell us down the river much further than we already are. The only problem could be  -Starmer checks out unexpectedly while serving PM and we are left with the deputy in charge.....check out an interview she did with Andrew Neil - she makes Truss look like a seasoned interviewee pro.

Edited by Bokdrol
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bokdrol said:

The only problem could be  -Starmer checks out unexpectedly while serving PM and we are left with the deputy in charge

I think that's pretty unlikely. Boris got close by catching Covid while there wasn't any vaccine yet, but historically it's not really a common occurrence. He's also a lot younger than Biden...

Edited by olofscience
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bokdrol said:

The only problem could be  -Starmer checks out unexpectedly while serving PM and we are left with the deputy in charge.

You appear to believe Keir Starmer is going to become the President of America. I can assure you this is not the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kallend said:

As a former Brit it pains me to say this but:

If the UK were an individual rather than a nation, he/she would be diagnosed with severe mental illness due to all the self inflicted harm, and should be under the care of a conservator.

The rise and fall of the empire has been epic. But it still has a way to go before it becomes just another shithole country. Like Russia.

7 hours ago, Bokdrol said:

The only problem could be  -Starmer checks out unexpectedly while serving PM and we are left with the deputy in charge.....

Just for clarity, I wasn't saying that Starmer wouldn't be assassinated like an American President might, but that a Deputy PM is not the same thing as a VP who is definitively next in the line of succession. First, it's a constitutionally meaningless position and second, we don't have a line of succession anyway. The next PM would be whoever wins the subsequent leadership contest.

2 hours ago, jakee said:

Just for clarity, I wasn't saying that Starmer wouldn't be assassinated like an American President might, but that a Deputy PM is not the same thing as a VP who is definitively next in the line of succession. First, it's a constitutionally meaningless position and second, we don't have a line of succession anyway. The next PM would be whoever wins the subsequent leadership contest.

I stand corrected then although I guess the deputy would be boss man/woman until the ballots were in. The Tory deputy stood in for Bojo when he had covid, as I recall.  For the record, I wouldn't wish ill on any politician, not even Comrade Corbyn or the Krankie woman.

Edited by Bokdrol

5 hours ago, Bokdrol said:

I stand corrected then although I guess the deputy would be boss man/woman until the ballots were in. The Tory deputy stood in for Bojo when he had covid, as I recall.  For the record, I wouldn't wish ill on any politician, not even Comrade Corbyn or the Krankie woman.

In a parliamentary system most likely the sitting MPs of the party in power would choose an interim leader. One who would promise not to run for the more permanent posistion. Being the deputy chosen by the previous and in this case deceased leader would not be a major factor.

16 hours ago, Bokdrol said:

I stand corrected then although I guess the deputy would be boss man/woman until the ballots were in.

Not necessarily. Do you honestly think the Tory party would have accepted Nick Clegg as acting PM if Cameron had snuffed it?

38 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

Slightly different circumstances there though.

The circumstances are the same - that a deputy PM has no automatic right to even be acting PM if the PM dies.

Never mind that it’s all hypothetical. When Starmer is PM in 2 years time then A: Will he have a deputy PM? B: If he does, will it be Raynor? C: If he does and it is Raynor will she have enough support in the Parliamentary party for it to mean anything? If a week is a long time in politics we’re talking about forecasting the distant post-apocalyptic future.

Anyway, main point is Bokdrol’s been watching too much American politics thinking we operate a ‘next (wo)man up’ system.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wmw999 said:

You’re such a killjoy. I was imagining him bonking Liz Truss with the scepter

I take it you are well aware of the meaning, here in the UK at least, of the word 'bonking'? If you are, great double entendre! It would certainly keep Liz off the PM's 'hot seat' for a while.