jamhi07

Career Opportunities in Skydiving

Hello to all! I am a new skydiver interested in learning about all possible career opportunities in the skydiving world.

Specifically I am a Mechanical Engineering student with research experience and I am trying to learn about possible career opportunities as an engineer or researcher in the field of skydiving, parachutes, and similar topics.

Any help or information I can get is greatly appreciated.

Good luck and let me know if you find any as I am interested too ;)

I think CFD is something that has potential to improve current generation wingsuits and parachutes but I suspect that the high performance designs like Petra/Peregrine already make use of it

I found a research paper a while ago on a tonysuit x-bird CFD simulation but it left a lot to be designed especially in the simplifications to the geometry.

Not to ditch you, but you will probably be better off doing this as a hobby.

Make money during the week, research/jump/experience/test on weekends.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Continue to jump and gain experience. With your engineering skill set you may find some opportunities in this sport. Will they pay as well as other industries? I doubt it.

Maybe better to get the good paying job in the real world and skydive on the side. But good luck to you. :)

jamhi07

Hello to all! I am a new skydiver interested in learning about all possible career opportunities in the skydiving world.

In the words of the guy I got my riggers ticket from: "You want to make a small fortune in skydiving? Start out with a big one."

All kidding aside, spend a whole bunch of time studying patents in the field using Google and the US Patent and Trademark Office website. Learn about the process of obtaining a patent and other intellectual property.

Learn all the nuances of how to search on Google. Not just putting a few words into the search box. Study it!

Google "steve snyder" and "Domina Jalbert". Search for their patents on the US PTO website. Study everything you can about all elements of the sport.

Most important advice of all: "Don't allow your desire to "brag" about your latest invention or whizbang idea to destroy your potential intellectual property protection."

In other words, study everything you can and keep your mouth shut about any ideas you come up with.

Or...get your TI rating and invent when you aren't jumping.

Good luck. You will need plenty of it.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

jamhi07

Specifically I am a Mechanical Engineering student with research experience and I am trying to learn about possible career opportunities as an engineer or researcher in the field of skydiving, parachutes, and similar topics.

Any help or information I can get is greatly appreciated.

I recommend watching this documentary. It's the most accurate depiction you'll find of the path to skydiving as a career. Cutaway
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher