gunsmokex

Advice on core strengtening exercises?

Ok so my body isn't quite as young as it used to be and isn't quite as quick to recover. This past weekend I came in for landing and had my first ass landing trying to flare a canopy that I had never flown before. Anyways as much as I'd like to think that I'm in the same shape as I was 10 yrs ago I'm not. Even when I PLF'd a couple of landings a while ago I've noticed soreness in weird places. Actually the main one in my shin, kind of like it smarts just a bit if you were to say step on the gas using you toes or pointing your toes down headed down the stairs and up and along the very front of the shin (anyone had that before or know what that is?)

Anyways does anyone know of any good core strengtheing exercises and exercises for my leg that I can do just at home to get my body a little more prepared to take the landings that just don't go perfect? Websites something like that. I guess I'm just. That and muscle groups to focus on for freefalling as I'm just getting to my delays.

Do all versions of Planks. Start with 30 seconds and gradually work up to 5 minutes. Full, 1/2, one arm, leg in air and crunches in between. Work up to 15-30 minutes several times a week and you will also be helping your back. Walking plank push-ups are good too.
Dano

Yes I'm going to start working on planking today. I'll think about yoga. I do definitely see the benefit though plus well umm yoga pants rule! :P But yes I totally see where becoming an expert on planking will help me out tremendously especially in my arch.

I'm not proud of this but well I'm going to just be honest. I kind of deployed upside down or sideways, either way I wasn't stable. It was my first 5 sec delay which turned into ~8-10 secs. I was arching like a mofo as if my life depended on it but it wasn't good enough because my body wanted to remain upside down, I deployed when I thought I felt like I was sideways but I definitely was not stable and had a great opening. No line twists and it felt like a nice soft opening I was expecting something very bad to happen but had a great canopy overhead, exit '5000 under canopy ~3750.

JohnMitchell

How's your upper body strength? Was that an issue with your flare or just bad timing on your part?

No my flares have always been pretty decent I've been standing up my landings on days with 5-14mph winds. I think my problem was that I flared at the same height on a day with very little wind and I've had the same thing before as well on a flare before with little to no wind. I was focused on staying away from concrete and making very subtle minor adjustments. I did give it a good hard full flare though, just too low I think. I hate making all these damn excuses but it was the first time for me flaring a different chute as well as this was my first time on the transition rig with BOC pilot chute.

Anyways yeah my legs are still a little sore and they feel exactly the same that I did this on a low wind day with a little pain right down the front center of the shins aggravated more by pointing my toes down.

So yeah ugh I'm going to get in better shape and start with planking so I get the perfect hard arch.

One other question does it help to "pre-arch" while hanging off the strut? One of the other students passed onto me that is what he does and I never did get a chance to ask my instructor that day. As in tightening up the gluts to get the legs back before I arch my head up and let go. Was just curious.

Dude. You've got 11 jumps. Cut yourself some slack! Most of us aren't very good at something we've only done for a grand total of a few minutes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sounds like a "shin-split," a sprained toe extendor muscle. Except in this case, you were trying to use that muscle to slowly transfer weight from your heal to your toes.
You use that muscle every time you walk, because it slows the transition from heal strike to toes touching the ground.

Runners call this injury "shit-splints."

The first step is to rest it for a couple of days. Then, once you are satisfied that you have not torn anything, start with gentle warm-ups, toe rotations, calf-stretches, etc.
To strengthen the muscle, start with calf raises: toe on a shallow step, then tense your calves to raise yourself onto tippy-toe.
Once you can do 20 or so toe-raises in a row, try doing single-leg calf raises, etc.

Squats (barbell squats, none of that smith machine crap).

They work your legs, they work your core, they work your calves. All good things to have in shape while landing.

Also make sure you stretch, the key to not getting injured is strength and flexibility (that is, physically speaking that's the key, not doing dumb shit also prevents injuries).

JohnMitchell

*** Most of us aren't very good at something we've only done for a grand total of a few minutes.

Oh yeah? I have 4 kids. :P

:D

I know you guys got way more practice than that. :P:P:P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I got t boned on a bicycle by some asshole doing a test drive a day after Christmas last year. 2 bulging discs, thoracic tear, severed nerves and pinched nerves. Fun shit. My body did $8,000 worth of damage to the SUV. Caved the window in and everything.

I Hate painkillers and was going to invasion the next day so I toughed it out before getting an MRI and found out after. The first week I felt like a wreck anyways, then all that pain subsided and my back didn't. I tried a chiropractor, muscle relaxers, tens units, traction tables and all kinds of shit. I've been doing yoga for the past 8 months and Yoga has made all the difference. It still bothers me from time to time, but I'm able to self realign everything and it's all good. I actually had a few days recently that I forgot all about my lower back.

Yoga only seems gay at first..... Go to a class. ;)
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

NWFlyer

****** Most of us aren't very good at something we've only done for a grand total of a few minutes.

Oh yeah? I have 4 kids. :P

:D

I know you guys got way more practice than that. :P:P:P

You saying he got lots of tunnel time before diving the plan. B|
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Ditto

I have herniated spinal discs on two separate occasions. None of the "medical" fixes worked.
The first winter I lay around and moaned.
The second winter I swam three times a week.
The third winter I started aerobics classes.
Now I do a bit of yoga everyday.

The second time I injured my spine, I exercised "to the edge of the pain" all winter and was back to doing tandems 8 months later.

Both line, regular exercise is the only way to recover from sketelo/muscular injuries.

danornan

Do all versions of Planks. Start with 30 seconds and gradually work up to 5 minutes. Full, 1/2, one arm, leg in air and crunches in between. Work up to 15-30 minutes several times a week and you will also be helping your back. Walking plank push-ups are good too.

Also learn side-planks, one-legged planks and back bridges.

Thanks for all the responses. The legs are starting to feel a little better. I think I might look into the yoga thing sounds like its not been too bad for some of you. I start on some of the planks and have been practicing lots on arching into the wall, arching on the ground, arching in my hot tub I arch every damn chance I get lol. Now if I could just get some tunnel time haha :)

I just want to be able to do this sport for as long as I can and hopefully minimize any chances of any injuries because of course everyone at work thinks I'm going to die or get severely hurt. Little do they know that skydiving is quite simply one of the greatest experiences on earth and the sense of accomplishment is unreal. If any of you are headed to the West TN boogie on Halloween shoot me a message and I'll have a cold one with ya by the bonfire.

gunsmokex

...hopefully minimize any chances of any injuries because of course everyone at work thinks I'm going to die or get severely hurt...

...I'll have a cold one with ya by the bonfire.

Well, that's a normal "wuffo" attitude.

Just tell them that more jumpers get hurt or killed doing stupid stuff on bad weather days or around the bonfire after jumping is done than are actually hurt jumping. I don't know if that's actually true, but it sounds good.

The most dangerous piece of equipment on the DZ is the...

Golf cart.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Just tell them that more jumpers get hurt or killed doing stupid stuff on bad weather days or around the bonfire after jumping is done than are actually hurt jumping. I don't know if that's actually true, but it sounds good.

The most dangerous piece of equipment on the DZ is the...

Golf cart.

Really? How many of your skydiving friends have actually been killed doing non skydiving activites versus the number killed skydiving? It doesn't matter how you cut it skydiving is a high risk activity with a real chance to die.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein