mcordell

unintentional first jump

Looks like someone just made a first jump on accident near my house. We live in a rural area and we routinely have F-16s dogfighting over our house. Today they managed to collide and one of the planes went down. The pilot managed to eject and was not seriously injured. The plane crashed 4 miles north of my house. The other jet managed to make it back to Tulsa, OK.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Good point...it was unplanned! The plane did a flat spin like a leaf into the ground. The pilot landed near a hedge row and broke his ankle. He was pretty shaken up but no serious injuries. I'm sure ejecting from a spinning F-16 is a hell of a rush!. There were two blackhawks circling the area for quite some time. I assume they were looking for debris.

It may not have been his first jump ... just his first jump on a round parachute.
Hah!
Hah!

The United States Air Force Academy has an extensive skydiving program ... a varsity sport. USAFA often sends teams to compete at USPA Collegiates and Nationals. They sometimes even send teams to CISM meets.

Equipment wise, the USAFA converted to modern, piggyback containers (Telesis from the Talon factory) and square canopies back during the mid 1990s.

riggerrob

The United States Air Force Academy has an extensive skydiving program ... a varsity sport. USAFA often sends teams to compete at USPA Collegiates and Nationals. They sometimes even send teams to CISM meets.

I assume you are referring to the possibility that the pilot that ejected may have had previous jump experience?

The Academy program is one of the best. As I understand it any cadet can go through the program as an elective class for credit.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

mcordell

Looks like someone just made a first jump on accident near my house. We live in a rural area and we routinely have F-16s dogfighting over our house. Today they managed to collide and one of the planes went down. The pilot managed to eject and was not seriously injured. The plane crashed 4 miles north of my house. The other jet managed to make it back to Tulsa, OK.

Glad all is ok..but there goes some pilot's career [:/]

Pilot(s) might have some luck finding a job flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong. ;)

mcordell

It was a guard unit out of Oklahoma. While it is possible the pilot was active duty and transitioned to ANG after their ETS date, it's more likely the pilot never attended the air force academy.

Not sure how you arrive at that. There are many, many pilots who start at the academy and eventually end up in the guard after serving their commitment.

BTW, unless something has changed since I served, officers don't ETS, they resign their commission. ETS is an enlisted thing.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

true...I recall that now. As for the transitioning pilots, I have known several ANG pilots and none of them were academy graduates. In fact out of all the officers I have ever known there were only a few AFA graduates. Perhaps my sample isn't representative of the AFA graduate prevalence rate among officers. Perhaps AFA graduates are not the type of people who would befriend a hooligan like me :P

Either way I'm still not sure what the exact cause is of the crash other than a collision but the one that made it back to Tulsa had to be towed to the hangar for some reason. The one that crashed had the tail separated lying next to it but it was unclear if that was a result of the crash itself or the reason for the crash.

JohnMitchell

I've known and talked to 3 people who have ejected, one of them twice. It can be quite the rough ride, often with injuries. I'm not sayin' it wouldn't be fun, but maybe it wouldn't be fun. :S:D

Yeah man, that shit killed Gooseman! That's all up in the danger zone!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

riggerrob

It may not have been his first jump ... just his first jump on a round parachute.
Hah!
Hah!

Equipment wise, the USAFA converted to modern, piggyback containers (Telesis from the Talon factory) and square canopies back during the mid 1990s.

Is this where the 1st jump is not a aff but. a jump your bold ass out of the aircraft. yank the ripcord. with 2 aad's 1 on the main and a second on the reserve set at a lower altitude? I have seen some video that was interesting
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

***It may not have been his first jump ... just his first jump on a round parachute.
Hah!
Hah!

Is this where the 1st jump is not a aff but. a jump your bold ass out of the aircraft. yank the ripcord. with 2 aad's 1 on the main and a second on the reserve set at a lower altitude? I have seen some video that was interesting

Yep. And it works quite well for them.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

******It may not have been his first jump ... just his first jump on a round parachute.
Hah!
Hah!

Yes, I worked at Rigging Innovations when they sold the first batch of 300 Student Telesis rigs to the Air Force Academy: Cypres on the reserve and an FXC 120000M on the main.

Why did I specify FXC 12000 "M?" Because after a few thousand activations, the Air Force noticed a wear problem inside the power cable housing, so they added an extra rubber buffer on the outside ... sort of a smaller version of the rubber bumper used while chamber-testing FXC 12000s.

riggerrob

*********It may not have been his first jump ... just his first jump on a round parachute.
Hah!
Hah!

Yes, I worked at Rigging Innovations when they sold the first batch of 300 Student Telesis rigs to the Air Force Academy: Cypres on the reserve and an FXC 120000M on the main.

Why did I specify FXC 12000 "M?" Because after a few thousand activations, the Air Force noticed a wear problem inside the power cable housing, so they added an extra rubber buffer on the outside ... sort of a smaller version of the rubber bumper used while chamber-testing FXC 12000s.

A few THOUSAND? Maybe that solo freefall first jump thing isn't such a good idea after all. ;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I got an automated call yesterday from a TX number telling me two f-16s collided near my property and my property was identified as being within the debris field and asking me to check my property and contact the Air Force if I find debris. I checked all 12 acres but didn't find anything. A lot of the debris people have found appears to be thin carbon fiber in pieces about the size of a sheet of paper. Definitely the most excitement my little community has had in quite a while.