4 4
GFry

Finding Out of Service Gear for Practicing Packing Reserves

Hey everyone, 

New senior rigger here. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for acquiring out of service/unairworthy gear without paying too much. I currently only have 24 reserve pack jobs to my name and would like to practice packing reserves at least once or twice a week until I feel my reserve pack jobs are a bit neater. I asked the rigger at my DZ but he was less than helpful.

I just got my riggers ticket last week and already I'm a little worried about how to stay current. I figure the least I can do is make sure I practice my packing and sewing until I figure out how to find work. Ideally I'd like to work with another rigger for a while. 

Thanks!

Edited by GFry

Aaahhhhh... The memories.

A brand new rigger beginning the lifelong quest to fill the basement with old, unserviceable, orphan and generally junk gear.

Most lofts have a plethora of this sort of stuff. 
Many riggers do too.

Sometimes they'll just give it to you. 

Some will send it for the cost of shipping.

Where are you located? (there's a hint in there)

i have an off topic question that came to mind as i was reading this.  why are riggers started out being called senior riggers, then master riggers?  why don't they start with riggers?  what is senior about just starting out if there is no rigger level?  i guess that was more than one.

Usually a DZ has a lot of old crap lying around (unless the DZ manager is a clean-up freak). I have literally been given an old reserve once (Mayday 5 I believe) with the comment: "Either you take this now or I'll dump it on the fire-pit."

Old shit is great for all sorts of repeat practice work, with the exception of inspections. There it's good for one go (and very good at that, because what makes that particular piece of old stuff no longer airworthy?) but after that you've seen it already and repeat practice inspections are a bit useless.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

i have an off topic question that came to mind as i was reading this.  why are riggers started out being called senior riggers, then master riggers?  why don't they start with riggers?  what is senior about just starting out if there is no rigger level?  i guess that was more than one.

Hi 13,

Since I got my Senior Rigger's ticket in '65, things may have changed.

From what I know, there is a Rigger ticket, below Senior Rigger level.  It is reserved for US military personnelle only.

Jerry Baumchen

On 9/1/2022 at 1:31 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi 13,

Since I got my Senior Rigger's ticket in '65, things may have changed.

From what I know, there is a Rigger ticket, below Senior Rigger level.  It is reserved for US military personnelle only.

Jerry Baumchen

I have CAA (FAA predecessor) regulations that list ratings, experience requirements and privileges for rigger, senior rigger, and master rigger.  Rigger and senior rigger hardly different.  So there WAS a civilian "rigger" rating. Pick of regs later.

• Like 1