1 1
brenthutch

Germany says coal is more important than people

“Germany will prioritize shipments of coal and fuel for power stations on the country’s rail network…This requires very sophisticated logistics, which makes it necessary to prioritize energy transports by rail…The new decree prioritizing energy shipments over passenger traffic or other goods”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-24/germany-gives-fuel-cargo-priority-on-rail-to-avert-energy-crunch#xj4y7vzkg

Why don’t they just put up some more windmills and solar panels?  OTOH I heard solar panels don’t work so well in northern latitudes during the winter but I’m sure that is just FOX news propaganda.

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“Germany will prioritize shipments of coal and fuel for power stations on the country’s rail network…This requires very sophisticated logistics, which makes it necessary to prioritize energy transports by rail…The new decree prioritizing energy shipments over passenger traffic or other goods”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-24/germany-gives-fuel-cargo-priority-on-rail-to-avert-energy-crunch#xj4y7vzkg

Why don’t they just put up some more windmills and solar panels?  OTOH I heard solar panels don’t work so well in northern latitudes during the winter but I’m sure that is just FOX news propaganda.

At least your alter ego knows what a false dichotomy is.

18 minutes ago, jakee said:

Imagine that. Trains in Germany literally won’t run on time because of their over reliance on fossil fuels.

Which begs the question, why not more wind and solar? It’s not for lack of investment!

“Germany spent nearly 202 billion euros on renewable energy projects from 2013 to 2020”

47 minutes ago, jakee said:

Imagine that. Trains in Germany literally won’t run on time because of their over reliance on fossil fuels.

"Recent hot weather has exacerbated transport difficulties, lowering water levels on Germany’s inland waterways and restricting barge traffic."

500 year drought according to European Commission .  Damn climate change!

2 hours ago, kallend said:

"Recent hot weather has exacerbated transport difficulties, lowering water levels on Germany’s inland waterways and restricting barge traffic."

500 year drought according to European Commission .  Damn climate change!

So, no worse than 500 years ago?  I guess you will blame climate change when Europe freezes this winter for want of more fossil fuel.

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Because the dummies ordered up a European war instead of extra renewable energy sources?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Why don’t you just cut to the chase and call me a Nazi?  It would be no less true than calling me a Trumper. 

We're trying to stick to an ad Hominem approach without going full Godwin here.

Upon reflection, calling someone a Trumper is pretty close.

29 minutes ago, winsor said:

We're trying to stick to an ad Hominem approach without going full Godwin here.

Upon reflection, calling someone a Trumper is pretty close.

If someone claims to dislike Trump as a person but embraces Trumpian policies he is still a Trumper.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

If someone claims to dislike Trump as a person but embraces Trumpian policies he is still a Trumper.

Low taxes, less oppressive regulation, secure borders, strong military, energy independence? That is just conservative boilerplate.  Trumpism is the cult of personality surrounding Trump, good policies are not Trumpism.

Wars have been fought over resources for millennia.  The USA was founded on displacing/killing indigenous people so colonists could take their land.

How many have died in middle eastern wars so Americans can have access to oil?

How many coal miners have died so Americans can burn coal?

This thread is a nothingburger.

Look at what I found!

“Ultimately, Die Welt estimates that the figure would mean roughly 24 million households either treading water or financially drowning — a dire statistic, considering those in power already fear public revolts over their mishandling of a multitude of crises.

The most pressing of these issues is no doubt the ongoing gas crisis, with the political establishment — largely under former Christian Democratic Union leader Angela Merkel — focusing on achieving green agenda-driven climate goals at the expense of energy security, and allowing the country to become ever more reliant on Russian energy.”

If only Europe had focused on domestic reliable energy production instead of chasing the fantasy of renewables while becoming addicted to Russian oil and gas, we might not be on the verge of WWIII.

(edited)
12 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Why don’t you just cut to the chase and call me a Nazi?  It would be no less true than calling me a Trumper. 

26 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Low taxes, less oppressive regulation, secure borders, strong military, energy independence? That is just conservative boilerplate.  Trumpism is the cult of personality surrounding Trump, good policies are not Trumpism.

Yet conservatives love all his policies. Yet trumpers love all his policies. Yet his voters feign amnesia when they have to answer if they support him. Or just deny it.

Its like republicans who laugh at the bigoted, racist jokes of trump, GOP politicians and FOX hosts. Yet claim that they are compassionate caring egalitarians in real life.

Edited by Phil1111

25 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Yet conservatives love all his policies. Yet trumpers love all his policies. Yet his voters feign amnesia when they have to answer if they support him. Or just deny it.

Its like republicans who laugh at the bigoted, racist jokes of trump, GOP politicians and FOX hosts. Yet claim that they are compassionate caring egalitarians in real life.

I think you are confusing policies with personalities.

I suppose your hatred for Trump is so deep that you are against The First Step Act as well?

“The First Step Act was not just hailed as a rare bipartisan achievement for the 45th president but as the beginning of a major shift in GOP politics, one that would move the party past the 1980s tough-on-crime mindset to a focus on rehabilitation, racial fairness and second chances.”

Or perhaps the Abraham Accords?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Accords

You need to lay off the MSNBC, it’s not healthy to constantly be in the grip of TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome)

Now back to the OP.

26 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I suppose your hatred for Trump is so deep that you are against The First Step Act as well?

“The First Step Act was not just hailed as a rare bipartisan achievement for the 45th president but as the beginning of a major shift in GOP politics, one that would move the party past the 1980s tough-on-crime mindset to a focus on rehabilitation, racial fairness and second chances.”

Given your recent posts about DAs who don’t lock up absolutely everyone they see, are you so in love with Trump that you’re in favour of it?

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

Given your recent posts about DAs who release absolutely every criminal they see, are you so in love with Trump that you’re in favour of it?

Releasing violent felons and showing leniency towards someone convicted of marijuana possession are two different things. Your raging hatred of Trump results in your inability to make that discernment. You need to lay off the MSNBC as well.

Lets get back to discussing how the fantasy of ‘green’ energy has lead us to the precipice of WWIII.

12 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

...Lets get back to discussing how the fantasy of ‘green’ energy has lead us to the precipice of WWIII.

It must have been very difficult to earn an MBA when logic, international relations, science, politics are all so very confusing. I applaud your ability to memorize, compartmentalize, etc. So you could regurgitate the answers that your professors wanted. Rather that what you feel.

4 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

It must have been very difficult to earn an MBA when logic, international relations, science, politics are all so very confusing. 

Funny you should mention that as my undergrad degree is in international relations and I took electives in botany, geology and physiology.  But enough about me, let’s talk about those poor Germans.

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Nah it was more meant to indicate your comment showed you were as clueless as the bumper sticker.

Your comment showed you once again didn't read the article.