3 3
blightybloke

A turbulent start to my Cat A - should I call it quits?

Question

Quick tib bit of a background on me - I'm a MEI with ~2500 hrs.  I've flown quite a few different plans over the years so aviation isn't new to me. I've done other somewhat "extreme" stuff before (aerobatics, SCUBA, back country snowboarding, ultra marathons etc.) 

I have 3 completed jumps, two rejected ones and 2 hours of tunnel time.  My arch is weak but I can do all the basic maneuvers in the tunnel ok. 

I like all the technical aspects of skydiving but I get very anxious and nauseous the night before and during the drive to the dz. I listen and learn when we go through the flow but when I get to the door my mind goes somewhat blank subsequently my last jump I de-arched and one instructor let go and I sent myself and the other instructor tumbling, I did get it together and did my 3 practice pulls and pulled my own chute and almost stood the landing up but I failed that jump. I take it all very seriously (I rejected 2 jumps and rode the plane of shame down because I didn't feel like I could do what was needed of me) but also I'm not excited like I was for any of the other sports I've gotten into.   Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  Are all these jitters a sign skydiving isn't for me any input is welcomed.

Edited by blightybloke

7 answers to this question

Not necessarily. I came up during the static line era, and after a bad jump on my second, I was utterly practically vomitingly terrified on the next few. For me, it took making my first freefall — it was like a key had turned, and the door was opened.

Maybe make a jump with no real goals other than feeling like you’re the one in control. With no new skills, the only new skill being mastering how you feel on the way out. Talk to an instructor and feel free to be honest about why you want to do this — you’re not the first person like you. Honest

Then, if you decide skydiving isn’t for you, it’s a decision, and not something you were forced into 

Wendy P. 

• Like 2

I was a horrible freefall student but kept at it and have over 12000 jumps now.    I am an AFF instructor who just a couple weeks ago had a student go fetal for the first couple thousand feet but recovered.   She now has passed all of the AFF levels and is moving on.  Do not let one jump stop you.  My student  Logbook

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 1:10 PM, blightybloke said:

Quick tib bit of a background on me - I'm a MEI with ~2500 hrs.  I've flown quite a few different plans over the years so aviation isn't new to me. I've done other somewhat "extreme" stuff before (aerobatics, SCUBA, back country snowboarding, ultra marathons etc.) 

I have 3 completed jumps, two rejected ones and 2 hours of tunnel time.  My arch is weak but I can do all the basic maneuvers in the tunnel ok. 

I like all the technical aspects of skydiving but I get very anxious and nauseous the night before and during the drive to the dz. I listen and learn when we go through the flow but when I get to the door my mind goes somewhat blank subsequently my last jump I de-arched and one instructor let go and I sent myself and the other instructor tumbling, I did get it together and did my 3 practice pulls and pulled my own chute and almost stood the landing up but I failed that jump. I take it all very seriously (I rejected 2 jumps and rode the plane of shame down because I didn't feel like I could do what was needed of me) but also I'm not excited like I was for any of the other sports I've gotten into.   Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  Are all these jitters a sign skydiving isn't for me any input is welcomed.

None of your other accomplishments are truly analogous to skydiving. That's largely owing to societal pressures put on skydiving: no one gets told they're crazy for snowboarding, running, scuba or even flying. Nonetheless, I suspect the fact that you are accomplished in other "extreme"sports causes you to put additional and undue pressure on yourself to succeed. Know this: there are one hell of a lot of people who have amassed world records, stood on podiums wearing gold, and did other amazing things in this sport who sucked as students. That's a fact. 

In the old day's I might have suggested a "relax" dive, you know, just getting out in the breeze, looking around, and pulling at the right altitude. For you, after two rides down, I'd suggest getting enough tunnel time to not only get basic body position right but also turns etc. When I say enough I mean enough that you get in the tunnel with a smile and get out with a smile. Then, if you're still of a mind, consider another jump

• Like 1

(edited)

Try to find a psychological coach to help you get through your fear.

May I suggest the book "Transcending Fear" written by Brian Germain?

Brian has also published several www.youtube.com videos about psychological training for skydiving.

Edited by riggerrob
  • Like 1

(edited)

Sounds like nothing more than performance anxiety mixed with a little good old fashioned fear. Skydiving is known to trigger a fear reaction, high levels of adrenaline and stress. That is actually what attracts most people to it. Physically it is an easy sport at the beginner level and almost anyone can learn it. If they want to bad enough to overcome the jitters. If you find it is worthwhile enough you will overcome the barriers that you are struggling with in short order. If not you will quit and move on. Either way you win.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

Another possibility is to do a tandem jump or two. That's a way to get used to going out the door and into freefall, with little anxiety about performance. As long as someone isn't flailing wildly, it'll be easy enough for the instructor to take care of stability and deploy the parachute. Get out, arch, learn to enjoy the experience.

Overcoming fear is a big part of the game when starting skydiving; all part of the challenge!

On 8/23/2022 at 11:07 AM, JoeWeber said:

For you, after two rides down, I'd suggest getting enough tunnel time to not only get basic body position right but also turns etc. When I say enough I mean enough that you get in the tunnel with a smile and get out with a smile. Then, if you're still of a mind, consider another jump

if two hours in the tunnel is not enough time to do that, i wonder how much it would take.  it sounds like op just needs to keep jumping.