1 1
kallend

Horse dewormer fail

(edited)

Judge won't toss lawsuit over ivermectin in Washington County, Arkansas jail

https://www.4029tv.com/article/ivermectin-lawsuit-washington-county-jail/43364780#

"...The case was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union last year against Karas, Karas Correctional Health, former Washington County Sheriff Tim Helder and the Washington County Detention Center.

In a written opinion, Brooks said that Karas began conducting his own research and hypothesized the drug could be an effective treatment for COVID-19.

Karas prescribed ivermectin to two groups of test subjects. The first was composed of people who sought out Karas’ services at his private medical clinic and agreed to take ivermectin as part of an experimental treatment for COVID-19, Brooks noted. The second set was composed of detainees who were incarcerated at the jail.

“The inmates received Dr. Karas’ treatment protocol for COVID-19, but did not know it included Ivermectin,” Brooks wrote. “Dr. Karas and his staff falsely told the inmates the treatment consisted of mere ‘vitamins,’ ‘antibiotics,’ and/or ‘steroids.’ Critically, the inmates had no idea they were part of Dr. Karas’ experiment.”

Welcome to Arkansas, convict!

Edited by NewGuy2005

On 3/22/2023 at 8:58 PM, NewGuy2005 said:

“The inmates received Dr. Karas’ treatment protocol for COVID-19, but did not know it included Ivermectin,” Brooks wrote. “Dr. Karas and his staff falsely told the inmates the treatment consisted of mere ‘vitamins,’ ‘antibiotics,’ and/or ‘steroids.’ Critically, the inmates had no idea they were part of Dr. Karas’ experiment.”

Holy crap. I realize that a legacy of work farms ("they should earn their keep" and "the harder it is the better") is a southern thang, but this kind of goes above and beyond. While Arkansas doesn't have the kind of classically bad prison like Parchman, I don't believe it's noted for its attempts to rehabilitate.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Holy crap. I realize that a legacy of work farms ("they should earn their keep" and "the harder it is the better") is a southern thang, but this kind of goes above and beyond. While Arkansas doesn't have the kind of classically bad prison like Parchman, I don't believe it's noted for its attempts to rehabilitate.

There's two sides to this story; 1) it was in the infancy of COVID (pre-vaccine) and Doctors around the world were throwing anything they could to make it stop, 2) the inmates had side effects, but did not die.

Lastly, I "think" Doctors are bound by the ethics of disclosure. Not sure why he wouldn't have told them and had them sign an assumption of risk, so what he did/if he did, was inexcusable. 

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Lastly, I "think" Doctors are bound by the ethics of disclosure. Not sure why he wouldn't have told them and had them sign an assumption of risk, so what he did/if he did, was inexcusable. 

Completely. Offering medical testing, especially as a transaction, is fine with me. It's the lack of notification.

Wendy P.