patmoore

DZGone.com - The Lost Drop Zones Project

Blue Sky Adventures, St. George South Carolina. It was a great little DZ Wally West was running it the first time I visited.

they would host the Harvest Moon Boogie every fall

lot's of Rodriguez and Muff Brothers

ETA: also my first electric 8-way :o

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Thanks again for the updates.

Took me a long time to figure out how to do it but there's now a form to submit your stories and photos. Several more DZs are being added daily. Save to Favorites and check back often. Dig into your archives to see what you can share.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

For the moment I'm caught up. We've documented 465 former DZs in the US representing all states except DE, ME, VT, and NE. Texas leads the list with 42. Please dig into your archives so we can add stories and photos to these pages. Thanks to all who have contributed so far!
DZGone.com

Keep 'em coming.....

Few jumpers visited more different drop zones in those old days than the late Bill Ottley D-298. We've uncovered some his legendary Christmas cards.

Do any of you have some of the cards I'm missing to add to the page?
DZGone.com

Re: Oregon
Western Sport Parachute Center is still open (now called Skydive Eagle Creek) WSPC has been in continuous operation at Beaver Oaks airport since 1977. It was never located in Oregon City. That is DZO Ralph Hatleys old home address you have listed from the USPA directory. I have friends that still jump at Ralphs. I am sure he would get a chuckle to find out his still open DZ is listed here.

Cave junction was a US Forest Service smoke jumper base. Once it was abandoned they had a boogie there but never really a full time drop zone. There are many closed smokejumper bases all over the west, you could have a seperate website just for those. These were strictly firefighter operations and no sport jumping at all. Cave Junction would make a great DZ, the facilities, airport, runway,bunkhouses, rigging loft, kitchen, dining hall, etc. are still there but it is in a very remote location, not much population to draw from. There were dreams of making it like a Lost Praire in Oregon but no one could ever make it happen. Besides, the land is owned by the federal government.

http://www.siskiyousmokejumpermuseum.org

And like I mentioned before Beagle Sky Ranch is still open at least on a part time basis.
Onward and Upward!

Thanks! I deleted Oregon City and Cave Junction.

Your idea of a separate smokejumpers page is intriguing but I doubt I'll have the time to pursue it.
DZGone.com

We just hit a major milestone. The 500th defunct DZ has been identified and more are coming in daily. A huge thank you to all who have been submitting stories and photos. Bookmark the site and keep the memories alive.

DZGone.com
DZGone.com

I guess you can't edit posts after a few days.

In any event, the submission form has been fixed. AT&T sold my email provider (SNET) to a company called Frontier and my DZGone email was suddenly blocked.

You can submit stories through this link. If your photos are over 1024 kb you can just email them to me at [email protected]
DZGone.com