Eagleeye

Not sure what to think!!

I was using the DZ locator and was searching in the Colorado area when I clicked on one of the locations the page said that it had been "Hacked". I did a google search of the web address to check again and it was the same message. I've never come across this before. Does this drop zone really exist?

????
Pics attached!

https://www.facebook.com/IndependentSkydiveCompany

I haven't actually gone there and verified it, but I did sell some gear to the owner a couple years ago, so I'm pretty sure it's legit. Looks like they're using a different business name now. Sounds like the site just got hacked.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

keithbar

30 bucks to 8500 feet ouch. I guess flying a Cessna at those higher altitudes must play into that price.

Yeah, we're starting a mile higher than everyone else most everywhere in the state. I can drive my car to a higher MSL altitude than many sea-level dropzones fly to. 12090 feet is the highest point on trail ridge road. You can park near there and try to walk up half a mile of stairs to get a view of the surrounding mountains.

On the plus side, when we go down to sea level, we get super powers.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

On the plus side, when we go down to sea level, we get super powers.

lol now that's a good one:D
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

DrDom

***30 bucks to 8500 feet ouch. I guess flying a Cessna at those higher altitudes must play into that price.

8500 MSL or AGL?

It'd have to be AGL, otherwise you'd be getting out at around 3500. That's not a lot of altitude to have fun in.

The Colorado Canopy Club takes a Cessna up to 5K (AGL) on Tuesdays or Wednesdays during the summer. The jumps are set up to average around $17 if you do 5 or 6 of them. It's actually a pretty good deal if you want to play with your canopy a bit. They have a turbine Cessna 206B they rent, so they can get up to 5 grand pretty quickly. 10 grand AGL (15K MSL) in that plane is not quite as much fun. I always have one foot fall asleep about halfway up.

The air's noticeably thinner here too. I've only jumped at Eloy out of state, but even though they're only 3000 feet MSL lower than us, the air there feels kind of like jello. I remember looking at my altimeter at 9000 feet there and thinking I'd been falling for a really long time.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

You should try the air in Maine in the summer! We're basically at sea level so 13,500 is routine for our Otter, but the humidity is the killer. It's not uncommon to have humidity above 80%. Some days the temps will hit 90+ and the humidity is right there with it (90%+). It's like breathing water and flying in soup.

Still beats roofing houses.B|

"The lizards were a race of people practically extinct from doing things smart people don't do."

Tela

You should try the air in Maine in the summer! We're basically at sea level so 13,500 is routine for our Otter, but the humidity is the killer. It's not uncommon to have humidity above 80%. Some days the temps will hit 90+ and the humidity is right there with it (90%+). It's like breathing water and flying in soup.

Still beats roofing houses.B|

It was very humid here after the flooding last year. I did a jump the first day the DZ was open again afterwards and it was like flying on silk. Didn't even have to collapse my slider, it wasn't flapping at all!