GAjumper84

Body position questions

I'm having an issue with matching fall rate with other jumpers on RW jumps. Anyone have any tips on how to gauge matching your fall rate while docked up to where when you let go to turn a point that you don't drop out or shoot up? It always seems like we are relative when docked, but I always seem to be off one way or another when I let go. Maybe its just a matter of practice flying my body until I get it, but it sure is frustrating for the time being. I have no issue diving down to a formation for a dock, or slow falling if I get low, just can't seem to find a method to gauge fall rate while docked.

Ive found it helps to try and slow your thoughts down when you let go of your grip. Think actively from the moment you let go even the slightest position change in your arch is probably all you need to adjust and nail it. I used to be super focused on the next grip but like you would let go, cork up or drop down but I've learned everyone on the jump would rather have you make the grip late after matching fall rate perfectly then to drop out or cork up. Those split seconds you are changing grips look at all the other jumpers and start to judge your speed the moment you are about to change grips even a few seconds before hand.

GAjumper84

Maybe its just a matter of practice flying my body until I get it, but it sure is frustrating for the time being.

Think of professional aerobatic pilots, such as the Blue Angels, flying in tight formation. From a distance, it looks like they are motionless relative to each other, as if locked in stone. But a cockpit video shows that the aircraft are constantly moving relative to each other, with the pilots making constant micro corrections to stay only a few feet apart.

Same with staying relative to someone. It's a constant feedback loop of eye-body coordination. At your experience level, you don't perceive the change in fall rate and respond as quickly as someone with more experience. With more jumps (and maybe good visualization practice) you'll improve your perception and speed up your reactions to the point that your corrections will be almost imperceptible, just like the Blue Angels.

Another piece of the puzzle is that you will get better at nailing a "target" fall rate the group is using and then continuing that speed, regardless of what maneuvers you're doing.

The other day I was on a coach jump, doing two way drills, and was having a helluva time matching the student's fall rate. During the debrief he told me "I was experimenting with different fall rates the whole time.":S:D No wonder I couldn't target the "right" speed. I told him that when doing RW, try to nail a steady fall rate, matching the other person.;)

Maintain eye contact with your clone in the formation. If you keep eye contact, you will constantly be making small corrections to match fall rate and you wont stop doing that when you release a grip. I've caught myself a bunch of times losing eye contact and starting to sink out or get floaty. As soon as I reestablish good eye contact, everything starts working again. Fly your slot, not the grip.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

JohnMitchell

*** Maybe its just a matter of practice flying my body until I get it, but it sure is frustrating for the time being.

Think of professional aerobatic pilots, such as the Blue Angels, flying in tight formation. From a distance, it looks like they are motionless relative to each other, as if locked in stone. But a cockpit video shows that the aircraft are constantly moving relative to each other, with the pilots making constant micro corrections to stay only a few feet apart.

Same with staying relative to someone. It's a constant feedback loop of eye-body coordination. At your experience level, you don't perceive the change in fall rate and respond as quickly as someone with more experience. With more jumps (and maybe good visualization practice) you'll improve your perception and speed up your reactions to the point that your corrections will be almost imperceptible, just like the Blue Angels.

Another piece of the puzzle is that you will get better at nailing a "target" fall rate the group is using and then continuing that speed, regardless of what maneuvers you're doing.

The other day I was on a coach jump, doing two way drills, and was having a helluva time matching the student's fall rate. During the debrief he told me "I was experimenting with different fall rates the whole time.":S:D No wonder I couldn't target the "right" speed. I told him that when doing RW, try to nail a steady fall rate, matching the other person.;)

Agreed.
When I teach the basics of freefall formations to junior jumpers, I tell them to dive towards the base and stop a yard (metre) or two outside the formation. Then I tell them to pause just outside the formation for a couple or four seconds. Once they have exactly matched the rate of the base, they are allowed to dock.
When teaching sequential formations, I tell them to pause between formations - to match fall rates - before moving to the next formation.
Sure, this approach slows down the initial learning process a bit, but also builds solid skills that become second-nature when doing more complex sequential formations.

A good exercise is to not take grips. Put your hands flat onto the other person's body, no grabbing. This helps me get out of my head and just fly!

As an example, I like to do a standard linked exit, but before turning any points with a new group of jumpers, we transition from grips to flat hands on each other. Hold it a second and proceed with the jump. It makes a big difference!
And eye contact for sure, especially during turns, always be looking at your target.

Howdy,

It takes time and practice, but my few pointers.

Don't reach for a grip, fly into it.
When turning, you might drop/pop a bit, keep eye contact and adjust fall rate during your turn.
Try a couple of touch jumps. Don't grip, only put your finger on the person, then to the next turn. It will keep you "actively" flying the formation.
Slow is fast. You are not bombing into your slot, but flying smoothly into it.
Keep your hands in the same relative position in front of you, and then grip. Don't grip upwards or downwards with your hands, fly up/down first.

Alas- tension on the formation. when you white knuckle grip, you are pulling down, up, sideways, and when you let go then, things will go hairy quickly. Soft grips. This might not even be you, but another member, and when they release you pop/drop, hence the touh jumps for the whole team.

Have fun.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.