3 3
brenthutch

Dude, where are my hurricanes?

3 hours ago, senna_65 said:

Yeah let's compare a hurricane that hit a city that's 8ft below sea level against ones that are above....

So why did Biden put it there in the first place? Come on man, you’ve gotta ask the smart questions.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:29 AM, olofscience said:

Meanwhile in the Pacific, Typhoon Noru has reached winds equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/24/asia/super-typhoon-noru-karding-heads-for-philippines/index.html

Dude, where's brent?

Sorry, I got a time out for suggesting you lived in your mother’s basement, because you didn’t seem concerned with the price of electricity. I reckoned it was because someone else was paying your bills.  That said we are still well below the hurricane season predicted by the “experts”

14 minutes ago, Slim King said:

I'm all for it .. If you are 8 feet below sea level and the dikes were financed by corrupt politicians I'd take every bus, car, plane, boat, train, copter, and motorcycle available and get them the HELL OUT OF THERE!!!! Remember.. Katrina hit Florida FIRST!!!!!

It did. At 80 mph. Things change, or was it the Democrats that caused Katrina to intensify?

Wendy P.

7 minutes ago, Slim King said:

Floridians are Hurricane experts. When they come ... get out of their way. Those who don't risk their lives. And some die as a result of overconfidence. As one of my favorite Movies stars said .. "It's good for a man to know his limitations!" I don't always have to be right .. But some people do...... By the way .. watch Apache Junction to see my movie debut. 

Yeah but they plan to build again in the same areas that were most devastated. Hopefully they’ll build back better like Babcock ranch.

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

because you didn’t seem concerned with the price of electricity. I reckoned it was because someone else was paying your bills.

Or maybe because I have enough money to not be concerned about it? But that might hurt your ego so I guess you chose what you said instead;)

7 hours ago, Slim King said:

The worst Hurricane to hit us was in 1935 when the CO2 level was at least 25% lower than it is now.

Wow, did you experience it?

11 hours ago, Slim King said:

The worst Hurricane to hit us was in 1935 when the CO2 level was at least 25% lower than it is now

And what hurricane was that, and why does it qualify as worst? Or maybe what's your definition of "us?" Because it would be hard to argue with 6000 dead in Galveston in the 1900 storm.

Maybe the fact that weather reporting, mass communications, and mass transportation were all far more rudimentary than they are now had something to do with it.

Wendy P.

34 minutes ago, Slim King said:

It was a cat 5. 1935 Labor Day hurricane..185 MPH winds. CO2 level was much lower than now. CO2 is a nutrient. My son just studied how plants work yesterday in a more intense chemical analysis than when he had in the 5th grade. Without CO2 we all die. 

Without water we all die.  That is a FACT.  You need water to stay healthy.

You OK if I fill your home with water?

36 minutes ago, Slim King said:

It was a cat 5. 1935 Labor Day hurricane..185 MPH winds. CO2 level was much lower than now. CO2 is a nutrient. My son just studied how plants work yesterday in a more intense chemical analysis than when he had in the 5th grade. Without CO2 we all die. If it gets below 180 most all plants die and we follow suit. That's why it is insane to attempt to lower CO2 levels. It's suicide.

Hydrochloric acid is an important component of the human digestive system. I would not suggest drinking it.

35 minutes ago, billvon said:

Interested to hear your plan that would have kept seawater out of Ft. Myers.

Also...take a look at the picture below.  Some houses survived...some didn't.  I'd bet the ones that made it were built in this millennium to more strict building codes that take into account hurricane storm surge.  I have no problem with building as long as they adhere to the new codes.

fbe70314-127f-4778-9ea7-c3f61cded44b_750x422.jpg

24 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Interested to hear your plan that would have kept seawater out of Ft. Myers.

Also...take a look at the picture below.  Some houses survived...some didn't.  I'd bet the ones that made it were built in this millennium to more strict building codes that take into account hurricane storm surge.  I have no problem with building as long as they adhere to the new codes.

fbe70314-127f-4778-9ea7-c3f61cded44b_750x422.jpg

Just because some of the houses in that picture are still standing doesn't mean they are not damaged beyond repair. But yes, move away from the coast and into storm shelters. Much more sensible than trying to limit climate change.

38 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I'd bet the ones that made it were built in this millennium to more strict building codes that take into account hurricane storm surge.  I have no problem with building as long as they adhere to the new codes.

You must be a communist. Proud Republicans are against regulations. They make things too expensive!

12 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Just because some of the houses in that picture are still standing doesn't mean they are not damaged beyond repair. But yes, move away from the coast and into storm shelters. Much more sensible than trying to limit climate change.

How about we do both?

If your house catches on fire it's a great idea to get your family out first.

But after the fire is dealt with, perhaps also deal with the arsonist in the area.  Much more sensible than just hoping there are no more fires.

6 hours ago, Slim King said:

How's this ... One of the best democrats I know of just $&%t all over the democrat party today on CNN 18 !!!!!!!!! How's that for starters!!!! 

Why are you trying to promote a politician who works with Chinese spies? 

On 10/11/2022 at 3:42 PM, billvon said:

I don't understand this statement, Bill. You are changing the goalposts (notice I said changing not moving). The discussion was on CO2 not water. Since CO2 is a nutrient and good for plants (like Brando) we need to stick with that. We should be increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere to say 80% of the atmosphere. It is good for plants, remember. That would be a good thing, right?

It heading toward winter here in the northern hemisphere. Increasing the temperature of the planet will be a good thing for plants here in the North so they don't die due to cold weather. That would be good for the plants too.

(edited)
32 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I don't understand this statement, Bill. You are changing the goalposts (notice I said changing not moving). The discussion was on CO2 not water. Since CO2 is a nutrient and good for plants (like Brando) we need to stick with that. We should be increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere to say 80% of the atmosphere. It is good for plants, remember. That would be a good thing, right?

It heading toward winter here in the northern hemisphere. Increasing the temperature of the planet will be a good thing for plants here in the North so they don't die due to cold weather. That would be good for the plants too.

Plants have rights too! Even if they do pollute the atmosphere with so much O2.

Edited by gowlerk

1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I don't understand this statement, Bill. You are changing the goalposts (notice I said changing not moving). The discussion was on CO2 not water. Since CO2 is a nutrient and good for plants (like Brando) we need to stick with that. We should be increasing the CO2 in the atmosphere to say 80% of the atmosphere. It is good for plants, remember. That would be a good thing, right?...

Bill has answered this question in these forums many times.Usually for the express benefit of Brent.  Even Sesame Street Big Bird has had programs explaining it.

How Exactly Does Carbon Dioxide Cause Global Warming?

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Somebody go tell Alaskan crabbers that CO2 is wonderful for nature!

"An estimated one billion crabs have mysteriously disappeared in two years, state officials said. It marks a 90% drop in their population."

I am expecting:

1) "It's natural!  Species go extinct all the time.  I mean, passenger pigeons went extinct, and we had nothing to do with that!"
2) "Illegal immigrants did it."
3) "Biden's reckless spending and destruction of America led to the deaths of those crabs."
4) "Obama ate crabs so he is part of the problem!"

And of course

5) "But Hunter Biden's laptop!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Somebody go tell Alaskan crabbers that CO2 is wonderful for nature!

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/fishing-alaska-snow-crab-season-canceled-investigation-climate-change/#app

How about instead of crowing Climate Change we admit that we don't know why.  I know that's tough for scientists.  Not much money in "I don't know why".

1 minute ago, airdvr said:

How about instead of crowing Climate Change we admit that we don't know why.  I know that's tough for scientists.  Not much money in "I don't know why".

The problem is that most climate scientists are quite sure that CO2 is a significant contributing factor. Really. Not every single one, but the vast majority. Kind of like how most doctors think that COVID vaccines reduce the chance of getting seriously ill. Again, not every single one, but the vast majority.

Many things now are too complicated to have a single cause. So maybe it’s best to work on the ones we know, and try to learn more  

Wendy P. 

• Like 1