3 3
brenthutch

Dude, where are my hurricanes?

3 hours ago, olofscience said:

You've shown that you can't even do simple addition, or averages. I don't think you'll be able to do discrete integrals either. Call it a hunch.

I can’t do any of that, in fact I don’t know what any of that even is.  The only thing I can wrap my brain around is that there were no tropical cyclones in the Atlantic basin in August.  I’m sure a genius like you can set me straight and show the forum the errors of my observation.  Eagerly awaiting your tutorage.

14 hours ago, jakee said:

Meanwhile, Europe’s wildfire season is unprecedented to the degree that it has burned half again as much as the previous record. Farm fires and wildfires in England have stretched the emergency services to breaking point.

Well; let's still call a spade, a spade, OK? Global warming may well exacerbate the problem by drying out vegetation more rapidly but it's misleading to assert that this is causing wildfires.  In Europe, approx 9 out of 10 fires are ignited by human activities, such as arson, disposable barbeques, electricity lines, or littered glass, according to EU data. Warm weather very seldom results in spontaneous combustion of grasslands. Plenty of ways to prevent fires other than climate alarmism.

8 minutes ago, metalslug said:

Well; let's still call a spade, a spade, OK? Global warming may well exacerbate the problem by drying out vegetation more rapidly

Since you clearly agree with me, I’m not sure why you then went out of your way to manufacture a disagreement.

It’s misleading to imply that the rest of your response has anything to do with what I said. 

Edited by jakee

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The only thing I can wrap my brain around is that there were no tropical cyclones in the Atlantic basin in August. 

And as you have really explicitly just made clear, this is temporary weather. 

40 minutes ago, metalslug said:

Well; let's still call a spade, a spade, OK? Global warming may well exacerbate the problem by drying out vegetation more rapidly but it's misleading to assert that this is causing wildfires.  In Europe, approx 9 out of 10 fires are ignited by human activities, such as arson, disposable barbeques, electricity lines, or littered glass, according to EU data. Warm weather very seldom results in spontaneous combustion of grasslands. Plenty of ways to prevent fires other than climate alarmism.

Dry lightning has sparked California's most destructive fires. Scientists say it could happen more often.

No humans needed. But there are also a lot of humans around, so what are you proposing - ban humans from wildfire-prone areas? Or just ban humans from making mistakes?

Arson has already been banned for a long time, so what's your suggestion to stop that?

Genius suggestions as usual... /s

Edit to add: the original NASA-funded study found that dry lightning started 30% of the fires that caused 50% of the burned area...so there goes your usual "very seldom" misinformation.

Edited by olofscience

1 hour ago, metalslug said:

In Europe, approx 9 out of 10 fires are ignited by human activities, such as arson, disposable barbeques, electricity lines, or littered glass, according to EU data. Warm weather very seldom results in spontaneous combustion of grasslands. 

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

Dry lightning has sparked California's most destructive fires. Scientists say it could happen more often.

Edit to add: the original NASA-funded study found that dry lightning started 30% of the fires that caused 50% of the burned area...so there goes your usual "very seldom" misinformation.

Newsflash: California is not Europe. 

3 hours ago, metalslug said:

You need to stop and reflect on what you just wrote. If you can find it within yourself. I know a spade when I see one.

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The only thing I can wrap my brain around is that there were no tropical cyclones in the Atlantic basin in August.  I’m sure a genius like you can set me straight and show the forum the errors of my observation.  Eagerly awaiting your tutorage.

Then you really should stick to just mumbling observations, because when you try and draw conclusions from your observations is when you get in over your head.

On 9/2/2022 at 2:11 AM, metalslug said:

Well; let's still call a spade, a spade, OK? Global warming may well exacerbate the problem by drying out vegetation more rapidly but it's misleading to assert that this is causing wildfires. 

Heat alone doesn't cause ANY wildfires.  Fires start all the time via lightning, human meddling and accidents.  That's nature.  As the climate warms and the forests dry, those same fires become far more deadly, widespread and damaging.  That's us.

On 9/1/2022 at 1:36 PM, brenthutch said:
Eastern North Pacific (East of 140°W)  
Tropical Weather Outlook 
1100 AM PDT Thu Sep 1 2022
Tropical Weather Discussion
1605 UTC Thu Sep 1 2022
There are no tropical cyclones in the Eastern North Pacific at this time.

Central North Pacific (140°W to 180°)  
Tropical Weather Outlook 
800 AM HST Thu Sep 1 2022
There are no tropical cyclones in the Central North Pacific at this time.

You're a force in your own mind, aren't you!

8 hours ago, billvon said:

As the climate warms and the forests dry, those same fires become far more deadly, widespread and damaging.  That's us.

But I thought as the climate warms more water evaporates from the oceans into the atmosphere causing more rain and that was us.

“The climate change activists tout every hurricane, flood, drought, tornado, hot season, cold season, etc. as evidence for their hoax. “Extreme weather events” are mounting evidence of coming climate catastrophe, if we don’t all buy electric cars, eat insects, and use windmills and solar panels to cool and heat our homes and cook our bugs.”

https://townhall.com/columnists/marklewis/2022/09/05/come-on-hurricanes-get-with-the-climate-change-program-n2612658

The dreaded Floodrought :p

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

But I thought as the climate warms more water evaporates from the oceans into the atmosphere causing more rain and that was us.

Yep:

"Some areas got 14 inches of rain in a 72-hour time frame as the state saw record rainfall, the agency said."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mississippi-mayor-urges-residents-get-now-state-braces-river-flooding-rcna45223

55 minutes ago, billvon said:

Yep:

"Some areas got 14 inches of rain in a 72-hour time frame as the state saw record rainfall, the agency said."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mississippi-mayor-urges-residents-get-now-state-braces-river-flooding-rcna45223

Wait a minute...

You mean that AGW can cause LOCAL conditions to do strange and extreme things?

Like drought in one region and monsoons in another???

Preposterous!!! (yes, I know what that word means).

33 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Wait a minute...

You mean that AGW can cause LOCAL conditions to do strange and extreme things?

Like drought in one region and monsoons in another???

Preposterous!!! (yes, I know what that word means).

It’s only strange and extreme if they fall outside the range of natural variability, otherwise it’s just weather.

Edited by brenthutch

23 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

So like Pakistan….

“Pakistan’s economic recovery is facing new risks after the highest rainfall in at least three decades…”  So it was worse thirty years ago.  Again, if it doesn’t fall outside the range of historical natural variability, it is just weather.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-27/highest-rainfall-in-30-years-threatens-pakistan-s-recovery

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“Pakistan’s economic recovery is facing new risks after the highest rainfall in at least three decades…”  So it was worse thirty years ago.  Again, if it doesn’t fall outside the range of historical natural variability, it is just weather.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-27/highest-rainfall-in-30-years-threatens-pakistan-s-recovery

Interesting you think these things are just binary. Was the higher than normal rainfall preceded by higher than normal heat 30 years ago too?

To avoid moving goalposts (too frequently, he still does them lots), Brent's "range of natural variability" includes the biggest extremes in the past several million years.

Slim King's "range of natural variability" includes numbers that he thinks are small.

Edited by olofscience