1 1
billvon

Excuses for the FBI search

10 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Gosh, and here I thought that was the whole point of rule by law.

Money has always been able to secure better justice, but we’re not supposed to enshrine the concept. Thanks for putting that out, Joe

Wendy P. 

Ya gotta realize that we're talking about the guy who claimed he 'could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and get away with it."

Based on how his toadies, sycophants & minions act, he was right.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

This reads like a comic book:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763/gov.uscourts.flsd.618763.1.0.pdf

There is also the matter that Trump filed this representing himself. They also went judge shopping when filing.

Hi Sky,

It reads like Trump typed it up himself.

If you want to convince a judge, you should really just stick to the facts.

Jerry Baumchen

On 8/21/2022 at 7:29 PM, wmw999 said:

Winsor, I think Woke is as much as anything about respect. Sometimes it's about bowing backwards to show respect, out of a feeling that respect was inadequately shown in the past. I see that as sometimes misguided when pushed too far, or when respect is demanded (especially when it's demanded for a third party), but it's still rather different from the demanding of respect for one's self of the "I define America's ethos and culture" crowd.

Wendy P.

Wendy,

Respect is earned, it's not a birthright - either for the privileged or the oppressed.

If I treated coworkers or supervisors differently due to sex, national origin or whatever it would be sexist, racist, patronizing and fundamentally offensive.

To forgive and remember does not mean one shouldn't get over it and move on.  Give it a try.

BSBD,

Winsor 

13 minutes ago, winsor said:

Respect is earned, it's not a birthright

Why would the starting position be that you refuse to respect someone until they have shown to you they deserve it? Seems to indicate you see yourself in a superior position. As if they owe you something.

Why not just respect individuals until they have shown they do not deserve that respect. Start on equal footing.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Why would the starting position be that you refuse to respect someone until they have shown to you they deserve it? Seems to indicate you see yourself in a superior position. As if they owe you something.

Why not just respect individuals until they have shown they do not deserve that respect. Start on equal footing.

Talking past each other as usual.

There is a certain level of politeness that one should afford a stranger.  I'll stop and help someone change a tire, regardless of who they appear to be.

The 'respect' to which we refer is something else altogether.  If someone has a swastika tattoo, or a rainbow tattoo, I will take note of it but will not treat them any differently because of it.  I'm aware of the sensitivities of the Hell's Angels and gay folks of my acquaintance, and don't discuss Kawazukis with the Angels or True Love with gays - or anyone that isn't on the menu, for that matter.

I do have to restrain myself when amongst Pagan's, wanting to point out that the apostrophe makes it possessive rather than plural, but they tend to get violent when confused so I let it drop.  

Anyhow, I'm cool with pretty much anything an individual does that doesn't involve children and doesn't affect unwilling participants.  When any group sees fit to inflict their world vision on others, regardless of whether ii is 'good' or 'bad,' I am not okay with it.

There are Right to Lifers that I like a lot.  I happen to think they're full of shit on that issue, and prefer to vote against their position.

There are people with whom I've worked whose professional judgment I trust with my life, but whose life choices don't impress me.  Mormons are one example (read the book and get  back to me).

In any event, we are using different definitions of the term 'respect,' which constitutes equivocation.

BSBD,

Winsor

12 minutes ago, winsor said:

Talking past each other as blah blah blah blah.

I have never in my life met someone with such a talent for using so many words to convey so little meaning.

That and the talent for bending any topic under the sun around to a discussion of wokeness. I don’t know if Windsor would be happy if he actually managed to cancel every ‘woke’ voice out there, or sad because then there’d be nothing left in his life that he cared about.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jakee said:

I have never in my life met someone with such a talent for using so many words to convey so little meaning.

That and the talent for bending any topic under the sun around to a discussion of wokeness. I don’t know if Windsor would be happy if he actually managed to cancel every ‘woke’ voice out there, or sad because then there’d be nothing left in his life that he cared about.

Winsor should really be a speechwriter or author for the far right. Long winded speeches would have to be edited of course. The examples he uses like motorcycle gangs changed to believable examples.Say Vietnamese restaurant owners and Filipino nail salons.

Just imagine the 1,000 page theorasus defining every woke example in America. he could spit that out in a couple days.

58 minutes ago, winsor said:

There is a certain level of politeness that one should afford a stranger.  I'll stop and help someone change a tire, regardless of who they appear to be.

Changing a tire generally requires more tools than the average motorist has available.   I've changed tubed tires with some very large tire levers to get the bead off the rim, but it was not easy.  Changing a tubeless is more difficult.

Changing a wheel, OTOH, generally needs nothing more than a jack and a lug wrench and can be done at the side of the road.  On my MG with knock-on hubs I can change a wheel in under 3 minutes.  Motor race pit crews can change a wheel in a few seconds.

4 hours ago, kallend said:

Changing a tire generally requires more tools than the average motorist has available.   I've changed tubed tires with some very large tire levers to get the bead off the rim, but it was not easy.  Changing a tubeless is more difficult.

Changing a wheel, OTOH, generally needs nothing more than a jack and a lug wrench and can be done at the side of the road.  On my MG with knock-on hubs I can change a wheel in under 3 minutes.  Motor race pit crews can change a wheel in a few seconds.

Wheels rarely go flat, but tires do.  Thus you have the concept of having a flat tire and changing a flat tire, or changing a tire for short.

I have changed tubes on tires ranging from small yard equipment to 18 wheelers, and I agree that it is a different experience altogether.

I have stopped to help change tires (inner tubes actually, but not wheels) of other bicyclists on organized rides, since I tend to keep spare 700c inner tubes and the necessary tools on hand.

I had a group of friends in Georgia who all had Austin Healy 3000 Mk IIIs.  One failed to secure the knock off properly, and the left rear wheel arrived in the parking lot before the car.

My MGs (two Bs and a Magnette) were a mix of lug nuts and knock offs, the Series 1 E-type had knock offs.

As Steve Landisburg noted on Barney Miller, "semantics is my life."

BSBD,

Winsor

5 hours ago, kallend said:

When I get a flat, I change the tire and the wheel at the same time.  They even come together in a convenient package!

5 hours ago, kallend said:

Wow Professor, I thought I was pedantic.

think there are places that refer to the extra wheel & tire assembly stored in (or on) the car for emergency purposes as a 'spare wheel', but I've always heard it called a 'spare tire'. 

And while it's 'more correct' to call it "changing the wheel", most people I know say something like "I got a flat and had to change the tire". 

Last, but not least, the very fast and well trained people on NASCAR pit crews that are kneeling down with the impact guns swapping wheel & tire assemblies over are called...

Tire Changers.

8 hours ago, kallend said:

A few weeks ago, I took the motorbike to Pikes Peak, and found a guy actually changing a tire by hand in the parking lot of a convenience store in Woodland Park. I have no idea why he didn't just take it to a garage.

Back when I was young and stupid, I changed 2 tubeless auto tires by hand on a Saturday night, because I was too impatient to wait until Monday when the garages opened. Never again.

3 hours ago, Bigfalls said:

Can we infer that a hamburger and french fries were some how involved.

Maybe. We do know that the former Trade Advisor to Trump has blown this case completely out of the water. He shows evidence that the affidavit his invalid. Redacted means canceled, so the DOJ cancelled the affidavit!!!!

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1563236808087207937?s=20&t=YSALSeX-4rON5_8_AKy-sw

That's the level of intelligence that was available to the President at the time! 5D-Chess for sure!!

10 hours ago, mistercwood said:

"I treat nazis and gay people equally" is certainly a position.

When encountering people admiring the Shovelhead who have swastikas tattooed on their heads, I don't get into discussions I've had with my Rabbi.  I stick to discussions of Harleys and certainly don't insult them.

If people with rainbow tattoos or Ladies with Adam's Apples get coquettish with me, I take it as a compliment and talk about neutral subjects.

Being equally polite with either crowd is advisable for differing reasons; telling biker trash what shitty bikes they're riding and what loser lifestyles they're living is generally a Bad Career Move.

YMMV.

BSBD,

Winsor

(edited)

When encountering someone with a rainbow tattoo I ignore it completely and behave as I would with any other person.

When I encounter someone with a swastika tattoo I don’t talk to them and leave BECAUSE THEY’RE A BLOODY NAZI and proud of it.

The two aren’t even remotely equivalent. Your perception that they are is warped.

Edited by yoink