1 1
aztcgreg

727 Jumps

I was cruising around the internet on a layover and came upon a link to this site. Saw several older post that had some questions about the 727 jumps at Quincy.
I was the Captain on the jet jumps from 1995 through 1998 and can answer some of the hardware questions and some of the certification issues presented by the FAA during that timeframe. Also some of the hurdles that Don faced trying to get a jet in the later years of the WFFC. If anybody is still interested.

Greg

We want to know! Anything you want to share about the process, there are those of us who love to hear about it. Especially now, in the north jumping is pretty much done for the year, so there is plenty of time to reminisce...
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I have jumped the Boeing 727 (Cargo) for the first time in 1992 at the World Freefall Convention (WFFC) in Quincy Ill. I have the DB Cooper #0290 signed by D-1 Lew Sanborn. I jumped it again in 1998 at Quincy. We were 180 jumpers jumping on two passes. See picture. The WFFC was unique and the only genuine world boogie so far. In 1998, there were more than 5000 people registrated from all over the world. Too bad Don Kirlin couldn't continue the WFFC. He has struggled with the FAA in order to get than Boeing 727 available for jumpers.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Greg, if you're still out there I would love to hear more.

I jumped the jet 2x in 93, 1x in 94, 96, 97, and 2x again in 98 (once with a skysurf board).  I recall the ramp/airstairs were removed on the ground, the top 3 or so steps were covered in plywood, and the hydraulic cylinders were covered with padding for safety.  I remember the seatbelts attached to the L-track on the floor.

Would love to hear more, including stories about FAA "negotiations".

Thanks and Blue Skies

Peter

Edited by TitaniumLegs
Add thanks. Where are my manners?

On 11/2/2014 at 9:32 PM, Tink1717 said:

Yeah, when will the DC-9 be back? :)

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Perris are looking for pilots for the jet. If you know any, have them get in touch with the DZ

On 11/24/2020 at 3:46 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

Yup. Saw that on FB.

As was asked - 

Who the hell is current on a DC-9 these days?

Is it not the same type rating as MD-88/90/B717?  (Or at least close?)  This seems to suggest that it is, but I don't have any type ratings and am not an expert.

https://registry.faa.gov/TypeRatings/

18 hours ago, TitaniumLegs said:

Is it not the same type rating as MD-88/90/B717?  (Or at least close?)  This seems to suggest that it is, but I don't have any type ratings and am not an expert.

https://registry.faa.gov/TypeRatings/

Yes, apparently the MD-80 and MD-90 series were developed from the DC-9 and the B717 was renamed from MD-95: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_MD-90

Knowing that, it isn't too surprising that they would share a type rating. I guess it shouldn't be hard to find someone rated.

On 11/3/2014 at 4:32 AM, Tink1717 said:

Yeah, when will the DC-9 be back? :)

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

That's interesting

On 11/1/2014 at 5:18 PM, aztcgreg said:

I was cruising around the internet on a layover and came upon a link to this site. Saw several older post that had some questions about the 727 jumps at Quincy.
I was the Captain on the jet jumps from 1995 through 1998 and can answer some of the hardware questions and some of the certification issues presented by the FAA during that timeframe. Also some of the hurdles that Don faced trying to get a jet in the later years of the WFFC. If anybody is still interested.

Greg

By any chance, do you know a man named Clarence Nichols?