TuomoK

Pocketable sized system unit with great stack of sensors

Hi!

We have developed a device which could be useful for you.

It's pocketable size IP67 classified micro controller developing device which possibles tracking all common sensor datas.

Its possible to control via mobile app.

Technical specs are followed...

Wireless connectivity:
2G Quadband GPRS
WLAN
BT 4.1

Wired connectivity:
Micro USB 2.0
GPIO pins on PCB
JTAG on PCB

Sensors:
3D Accelerometer
A-GPS Location
Temperature
Humidity
Pressure
Gyroscope
Magnetometer
Ambient Light Sensor

Form factor:
Pocketable size
IP67 classification
Built-in battery

Let us know what you think! Any ideas, comments or propositions.

Thank you!

-Tuomo

Hey Tuomo,

I'm interested for sure! I was planning on making something with an Arduino board this winter with all those sensors minus the Ambient Light Sensor. Which, for skydivers we really wouldn't need unless it's for a night jump and the screen can be backlit?

Would there be a screen? As in, could it be worn as a wrist mount alti? Or would it be used to track and record data to either onboard memory or an SD card?

Could it be paired with BT headphones for audible readouts or altitudes, speeds, glides, etc?

I see there are GPIO pins that I could mod with... are there plans for making the code pretty open for development? Say, could I add some sort of audio board to go along with this so I could plug in headphones? Could I add in lights to blink with certain statuses?
https://www.instagram.com/nikkomamallo/

TuomoK - YES, I'm always interested in wireless sensors for smartphones and adding support for them in L/D Magic. What's the update rate of the GPS? (I need at least 5Hz, but 10Hz or higher would be awesome.) And what's the price estimate?

Here's another inexpensive Bluetooth sensor that has 6 sensors (temperature, humidity, pressure, accelerometer, gyroscope and magnetometer):

Texas Instruments SensorTag

Alas, it doesn't have a GPS... yet. But the way things are going, smartphones are becoming the centers of computing universe - everybody has them, upgrades them, they have powerful processors and beautiful screens, so the need for external sensors is huge and we see more and more low energy wireless sensors introduced. And while smartdevices themselves have sensors, in many applications it's often best (or only option) to have external sensors. For example, at least some smartphones (ALL iPhones) have GPS that is not usable in freefall - they have such a heavy smoothing/data massaging that they respond to rapid changes in altitude with a huge lag - I land yet it shows I'm still thousands of feet in the air and continue flying for a minute or two. iPhone's internal GPS is not usable at all for freefall data collection/analysis.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Hi!

Thank you for your messages! Sorry about reply latency.

I'll try to answer all questions you have asked. :)

First, shortly about the device: There is all features I listed before built-in inside of beautiful IP67 classified covers. IP67 means that its dust and water resistant. 30min in 1m depth. Size of the device is ~ 120 x 60 x 18 mm. There will be two-way communication between the device, web server and mobile app. You can configure your device via mobile app.

There is no indication led, but display can be used in this use case. Device has 128 x 64 pixels OLED display, so its possible use limited spot of pixels to act like indication led and it's very energy efficient.

GPS: I can't surely say what will be highest reporting rate but it should be at least that 5Hz. I'll be back with this when we got more exact information.

BT: We have BT LE 4.1 so it is possible that we have some kind of support for audio routing. Same as in the previous answer I'll be back as soon as we have this information for sure.

We will offer open source SDK and APIs and all common interface protocols are supported.

We will communicate the price in couple next weeks.

I'll be back right away when I have some more exact information to share.

Thanks, we are happy to have you to join our journey!

-t

Battery life is expected to be from 2 weeks up to 12 month depended on usage. User will have access to power management to limit power consumption.

For the data recording there is microSD slot on PCB.

Cover has openings for barometric sensors.

We should have SW specs available later on this month an d I will share it with you right away. It would be great to have contacts who are interested to develop skydiving related applications on this system. We will provide all our expertise to help you on your work.

TuomoK

It would be great to have contacts who are interested to develop skydiving related applications on this system. We will provide all our expertise to help you on your work.

Tuomo, shoot me an email at

ldmagicapp

(this is a gmail)

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Hi all!

After couple of busy weeks we finally have released our web page.

Go and check http://www.thingsee.com/

I truly believe this would be useful device for sky divers so please share this with your friends and make this happen with us.

Also check https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/haltian/thingsee-one-the-smart-developer-device-for-mobile?ref=nav_search

Thank you!

-Tuomo

TuomoK

Hi all!

After couple of busy weeks we finally have released our web page.

Go and check http://www.thingsee.com/

I truly believe this would be useful device for sky divers so please share this with your friends and make this happen with us.

Also check https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/haltian/thingsee-one-the-smart-developer-device-for-mobile?ref=nav_search

Thank you!

-Tuomo

TuomoK

Hi!

Thingsee One has had great interest among the skydivers.

Do you have any suggestions where we can spread the word about this to make this happen?

BR

Tuomo

I believe you are at the correct place.
The problem is that I don't think there is enough skydivers that would buy one. You have to be a nerd to buy one :P
And as you might aready know, I'm a backer :)
Your second best webpage to get skydivers attention is probably www.basejumper.com, some of them don't come here at all.

Good luck with the campain! :)

TuomoK

Hi!

I'm still thinking how to post on basejumper forum without getting banned right away.

But...

Here is something cool our fans made for us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey-BSZTeIQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6HEs83ud1w

-t

I see...

This is the idea I would have posted on twitter if I only had a twitteraccount to enter your competition.

A smart emergency device.
The Thingsee one can detect so many things that it can be used as a device to monitor the jumper and see if he is OK or not. And if not take actions.
Imagine at the exitpoint you "arm" the device by shaking it and the display says "ready".
At this point the device monitors your location and altitude and waits for you to jump.
If you have moved more than, say 5 m horizontaly or 10 m vertical, the device will notice that you have jumped.
Then it will monitor your altitude, and if your altitude is the same for 5 seconds the jumper has made contact with something.
Now we need to know if the jumper is OK or injured (or worse).
There is no check-if-alive monitor on the Thingsee, but we can monitor movements.
So..
This starts a countdown timer in the Thingsee (and on the display) and counts down from 20 seconds.
If the user has not deactivating the countdown by shakeing (or other way of deactivating it) the Thingsee it will send out a sms with a googlemaps link to the GPS location the jumper is at.

You could perhaps (if possible) look at the data at the time of landing and if the landing was hard the Thingsee should skip the countdown timer.

I bet this idea and use of the Thingsee will catch their attention.
Especially those who wingsuit BASE because even if their flightplan is known by others the flight can be several kilometers long.
And just searching a 50 m wide area of a 2 km long flight over dense forrest is quite a task.

When I made my 8 or 9th BASE jump I meet a guy in Italy that a few months later was "missing" after a wingsuit jump.
It took almost two months before they found him.

This idea/device may or may not have helped.
But if the Thingsee survives the impact it might just help enough.

You are right Hellis about that security thing.

Thingsee One is able to set alarm automatically and send position data when some defined value triggers e.g. accelerometer senses hitting to the ground.

I have tried to contact people who are responsible of arranging basejump events without reaction so far. Maybe you can help us to get our message through.

-Tuomo