2 2
farleymartinez

Looking to buy a used Optimum 126

The packing data card travels with the reserve, not with the container. Normally a reserve will come with canopy, slider, lines, and hopefully some sort of link to keep the lines in order, along with the packing data card.

You can advertise in the classifieds for a specific request -- the forums are not for advertising.

Wendy P.

12 hours ago, farleymartinez said:

I'm looking to purchase a used Optimum 126, just curious what is supposed to come with it?  Does that packing data card travel with the reserve or with the container? 

The Optimum and all PD reserve has all the needed data on the panel sewn to the the center top skin of the canopy. Traditionally the data card belongs to the canopy. However when you buy a new canopy it does not come with one, only the container does. Personally I consider the "card follows the canopy" rule to be obsolete. There is no regulation that covers this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Personally I consider the "card follows the canopy" rule to be obsolete. There is no regulation that covers this.

i bought a used canopy without a data card and almost couldn't jump it as a reserve.  would it be considered wrong to just make one up?  there was no marking system on mine, nothing on the canopy itself.

53 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

i bought a used canopy without a data card and almost couldn't jump it as a reserve.  would it be considered wrong to just make one up?  there was no marking system on mine, nothing on the canopy itself.

I have no idea what the circumstances of your situation were, but lack of an accurate record could be one factor in a rigger’s  decision. To answer your question it is never OK to commit fraud.

1 hour ago, sfzombie13 said:

Hi 13,

Re:  i bought a used canopy

Was it a certificated reserve canopy?  If not, what was it.

Re:  couldn't jump it as a reserve

Who said?

IMO before your post makes any sense, you need to provide some details.

Jerry Baumchen

I have packed reserves that were completely fine - I inspected it with no problems - but that had no prior pack card.  It was brought to me because another dropzone in the area refused to pack it without its prior history being spelled out on the pack and data card.  

A lot of times I have had people bring me used reserves with some weird shit.  One time I had one reserve come with toggles still attached (!!!!) but it actually worked out because that person had bought a used container from someone completely different who didn't send it with toggles (both standard velcro toggles).  

But holy heck - anyone sending a canopy at least send it with connector links (metal or slinks) attached to a card,  I have had ones shipped with lines and no links and in a giant mess.   Ugh...  

13 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi 13,

Re:  i bought a used canopy

Was it a certificated reserve canopy?  If not, what was it.

Re:  couldn't jump it as a reserve

Who said?

IMO before your post makes any sense, you need to provide some details.

Jerry Baumchen

i bought a used reserve for $400 off of the internet that a guy said had only been jumped once.  it didn't have a data card so my rigger said he couldn't pack it as a reserve since it didn't have a data card.  had the guy not been able to locate it and mail it to me it would be an extra main.  that is why the data card needs to go with the main.  if you lose the one for the last reserve when you get rid of the canopy, use the one that comes with the reserve.  it's stupid to keep it with the container, it does nothing but screw the next owner of the reserve that isn't there any longer.  i didn't feel like writing the other day.

3 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

i bought a used reserve for $400 off of the internet that a guy said had only been jumped once.  it didn't have a data card so my rigger said he couldn't pack it as a reserve since it didn't have a data card.  had the guy not been able to locate it and mail it to me it would be an extra main.  that is why the data card needs to go with the main.  if you lose the one for the last reserve when you get rid of the canopy, use the one that comes with the reserve.  it's stupid to keep it with the container, it does nothing but screw the next owner of the reserve that isn't there any longer.  i didn't feel like writing the other day.

This post is incorrect on many points. Your rigger is incorrect or you are misunderstanding them. You have only limited experience and you should not assume that what you have seen is all everyone will see.

• Like 1

I'm no expert on the rules but:  A data card is not *required* to be with a reserve. People lose them, don't pass them on to a new owner of the reserve, etc.  A rigger might make a personal choice to not pack a reserve that has no known history, but that's not the norm. Under US & Canadian rules etc, the rigger inspects the reserve & decides whether it is airworthy. It would also be very rare for a reserve to have placard info worn away, like what one sometimes sees with older main canopies -- where the serial number is illegible. (That might indeed make a rigger make a personal decision not to pack such a reserve.)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I have no idea what the circumstances of your situation were, but lack of an accurate record could be one factor in a rigger’s  decision. To answer your question it is never OK to commit fraud.

If there's no fraudulent info on it, it's not fraud.

I've seen a card that the first line read something like:

'Old card lost, data panel showed 10 repacks', with proper entries from there on.

As long as any SBs are completed (often can be verified with a visual inspection to see that the work was completed), as long as the data on the card is correct and as complete as possible, I can't see it being illegal.

I can fully understand the reluctance of a rigger to pack a reserve without a card, but I don't think it's illegal (betcha a beer that someone with more knowledge than I will chime in, and as always, I welcome correction if I'm wrong).

The 'fun' part about this whole thing is that there's only one card for multiple components.

H/C info and AAD info are on there too. Some of that (proper AAD servicing for example) is required by the FAA.

I was taught that 'best practice' if the rig is broken up and components sold separately is to make photocopies of the card and include one with each component. Since the H/C is the piece that came with the original card, the original goes with it.

34 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I can fully understand the reluctance of a rigger to pack a reserve without a card

I cannot.  The rig is either airworthy, or it is not.  Airworthiness is determined by inspection of the rig, not inspection of the data card.  What question of airworthiness can be answered by the data card? 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2022 at 3:56 AM, sfzombie13 said:

what?

On 8/15/2022 at 12:34 PM, kleggo said:

what?

it's called a mistake and sometimes i make them.  looks like it should have said reserve, but said main.  i was saying that the data card that refers to how many times the reserve has been repacked has nothing to do with the container so it should go with the reserve if it is sold separately.  it makes no sense to me that it goes with the container since the container doesn't care how may times it is repacked but the reserve does and is sometimes limited by the company.