fencebuster

Skydiving in Class D Airspace

Is there a DZO or manager out there who is running an operation in Class D airspace that would be willing to talk to me about pros and cons and dealing with the FAA on application under FAR 105.15. PM me if you are willing.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

I looked into moving an operation to Martinsburg WV a couple of years ago.  I met with the airport people and they were enthused.  I had a meeting set up with the military and civilian FAA tower personnel, but the issue became moot because the rentable space for my operation was priced way out of the reason of profitability.  I know that they flew in Class D at the operation in Myrtle Beach SC, but that place was closed because of locals claiming dangerous conduct (with which the FAA disagreed), which I believe is still in litigation.

On 12/3/2014 at 11:04 AM, fencebuster said:

Is there a DZO or manager out there who is running an operation in Class D airspace that would be willing to talk to me about pros and cons and dealing with the FAA on application under FAR 105.15. PM me if you are willing.

Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Operating a DZ at a tower controlled airport can be anything from absolutely horrible to absolutely great.  It all depends on whether they actually want you there or not.  This is especially true if it is a contract tower, that is, manned by non-FAA personnel.  If the airport owners are behind you, then probably the tower people will be also favorable to deal with.  It can be great or it can be a living hell.  If the owner is not extremely enthusiastic about having you there it would be best not to go there.

• Like 1