baronn

How wide can a step on a 182 be?

baronn

Any general rules on how wide the step can be on a 182? I'm almost always wishing for a bit more foot room for myself and student.

How "wide" left to right? You are usually somewhat limited because the wider you make it, the higher up on the spar you need to attach it, so the step would be higher off the wheel and less comfortable to use. If you recall, C206s and newer C182s have "lower landing gears" which puts the step further up in flight than with older C182s. I suppose you could put an extension on the outside of the step, but then there would be something to get things caught on.

How large from "front to back" is another thing. They can be rather large in that direction, but most people don't make steps very large for weight and drag reasons. I have seen some 12 inches from front to back. Pretty cool for launching a 4-way.

Visited a a DZ a few times many years ago. They had a (it was described as a 205 and a half?) Actually I think it was just a 206 with the front door instead of the cargo door.
To the point: The step was very "long" forward to aft.
Not long before we showed up one time, they said a tandem instr, not used to the long step, stepped off backwards, and because the step was so unusually long, smashed his student's face on the step. Smashed it very badly.
It WAS very big. We jokingly called it "as big as a front porch". Seemed like the wing strut was at the front of the step, just like a 182 step/strut setup, but it continued aft a long long long ways because the wheel strut was much further back. If you wanted to face forward, You had to step back a step after you let go of the strut. If you didn't the back end would hit you. Especially if the plane came up when the weight was off of it. Of course, when you got used to it, no problem, but the first time you used it, it came so close it scared you.

Tandem instructors just turned/pivoted and went off the back edge of the step. We learned to do that too.

Sorry, but I do not have exact numbers.
Most jump-steps extend straight up from the axle. When they are an inch or two above the rubber tire, they turn 90 towards the fuselage and attach to the landing gear strut after roughly two feet.
There is not much point to making a step bigger than one foot by two feet.
I have used much smaller steps for tandems.
If I am doing PFF with another instructor hanging off the student's right side, the outboard instructor stands on the end of the axle or the outboard edge of the step. The student always takes more of the step than he/she really needs.
I get at least my right foot out on the landing gear strut. My left foot might go on the inboard edge of the landing gear strut, or in the door. My left shoulder is usually scrunched up against the top of the door frame, freeing both hand sot hold onto the student.

pchapman

I don't know what's best, but I've liked steps that have one of those black, gritty anti-slip layers put on top. (Aircraft Spruce or a similar supplier may have fancy solutions, but a skateboard shop would probably having something cheaper.)

^This. The 182 I do most of my jumps out of has a "Box Step" that's maybe a foot by a foot and a half. (no pic of it, sorry). You can have two people have a foot solidly on it, plus a "tippy toe" by the guy hanging way out on the strut. We put three out the door on a reasonably regular basis.

It has several stripes of "grip tape" on the top of the step.
It also has a couple strips going up the wheel strut from the step to just under the door. One of the TIs liked to put a foot there and wanted a better grip.

I've fallen off more than once, but never because my foot slipped off the step.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo