RolandForbes

Stupidest thing you've ever done on a skydive...

I packed my self a pilot chute in tow after about 130 total pack jobs and about 165 total jumps...routed the bridal like an idiot.. the bridal actually kept too much tension on the closing loop as it went around the wrong side of the loop and the closing pin.  I felt terrible for being so cavalier during my pack job and it took a while before I forgave myself and moved on.

• Like 2

With about 40 jumps I agreed to do a 5-way jump on a day with questionable cloud cover.  Cloud bases were at about 4k and were probably about 1,500' thick.  Plan was to break off at 5k and pull at 3.5k.  We funneled the formation right around 6k and by the time I got stable we were in the cloud and it was time to break off and track.  I had no idea where anyone was or what direction they had tracked in.  I was entirely unprepared for this scenario.  I stayed in place, hoping everyone else had tracked, got through the cloud, cleared my airspace as well as I could, and waved off and pulled a little below 3k.  Thankfully my hope that everyone else had recovered and tracked way came true.  

I haven't come even remotely close to a cloud since then. Several times I've gotten to the DZ and chose to stay on the ground. A couple of times I've been in the plane, got to the door and looked down, saw a big cloud, said nope, not going.

I'm often told that I'm overly cautious.  I've even been called a p---y once or twice.  Whatever.    

• Like 2

stoopid? no

scary? yes

I led the trail plane jumpers to close on a 16 way CReW diamond to complete a 25 way diamond.

at night

lotta pressure to find the base

not a lot of fun

chose to not do that again.

craig

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kleggo said:

stoopid? no

scary? yes

I led the trail plane jumpers to close on a 16 way CReW diamond to complete a 25 way diamond.

at night

lotta pressure to find the base

not a lot of fun

chose to not do that again.

craig

Does the fact that I followed you in on that load qualify as stupid ? :-)

• Like 1

I made a bet with Carol Clay. Uber stooopid! We were up late partaking in some DZ shenanigans and I bet the Queen that she wouldn't make load 1 in the morning. My dumb ass stayed up until... hell I don't know. And anyone that partied at West Point back in the day knows what I'm talking about. I think I got about an hour nap and somehow showed up to dirt dive with Carol. I fell asleep on the ride up and I do not remember the jump whatsoever except that Jason was there. When we got down I crawled into a corner of the hanger and passed out for most of the day. Never again I swore... but then there was another boogie! Damn I miss that woman. 

Edited by Deisel
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, base615 said:

Lost altitude awareness on a night jump and pulled really low. I was fully open below 1,000ft and had to land in a paddock next to the DZ in almost complete darkness. I bought a Time Out the next morning.

I would hope that darkness would hide your mistake from your S&TA lol.

Land and be like 'Low pull? Nah I pitched at like 6k'

Edited by RolandForbes

I was in the left trail plane and followed the wrong person on a 75 way. Realized my mistake and flew all the way over to the other side, cutting people off as I went! Still docked in my slot. I thought it was an excellent example of some awesome flying but I was disabused of that belief at the de-brief!:rofl:

• Like 1