6 6
RolandForbes

Stupidest thing you've ever done on a skydive...

On 12/15/2022 at 1:10 PM, normiss said:

I had a shitty Strong tandem try to kill me once in rather similar fashion. Drogue never fully deployed, I was too distracted with an over the Gulf of Mexico jump view and a handicam to realize I was drogueless.

Well, see, at least you had a shitty tandem to partially blame in that situation. ;) Me, I just blanked on the 'deploy drogue' part in the whole exit-get stable-hold helmet down-do handcam sequence...

Deland, late 70's. I was Instructor and JM for the Embry-Riddle club.  At the end of the day when all the students were done, the experienced club jumpers would do some 8-12 way out of Mr. D.  At break off some of us would tackle another jumper and ride them down well below 2000', holding them so they couldn't pull.  When the panic got too great we'd let go and pull.  I don't know how I never got my ass beat.  It happened to me once and I never did that to anyone again.

• Like 2

(edited)
5 hours ago, rdufokker said:

At break off some of us would tackle another jumper and ride them down well below 2000', holding them so they couldn't pull.  When the panic got too great we'd let go and pull. 

You sir, are an absolute savage lol.

Sounds like you'd be a good AFF IE ;)

Edited by RolandForbes

On 8/3/2022 at 10:12 AM, RolandForbes said:

Forgot to uncollapse my slider while packing, and took that packjob on a tracking jump at Lost Prairie. Somehow, someway, had a perfectly butter smooth opening...

How about you guys?

In '89 I was practicing Leg Locks (Venezuelan Connection Day's) with a buddy. No AAD, no Dirt Alerts, no operating synapses, we saddled out just short of 500'. That was world class dumb.

• Like 1

On Jump 14 I was having problems falling stable and I totally lost altitude awareness till just under 2,000 feet.  Pulled main, had a streamer (Round), totally zoned out again, regained focus soon enough to cut it away (capewells) and had a less than 10 second reserve ride.  

• Like 1