bodypen

Skydiving in California

Hey guys,

A friend of mine and I are turning 16 soon and ever since childhood, it's been an all time dream to be able to go sky-diving. Several years ago, I remember doing research about sky-diving and learning that one can go skydiving when being 16 as long as they have parent consent.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any places in California that take 16 year olds anymore. Do you guys know of any that allow people 16 years of age to go on a tandem skydive? Please reply below if you know of any, and thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
Jeff

There are very few places in the US that will take anyone under 18.

USPA recently changed the rules and now has a minimum age of 18, not 16 anymore.

Sorry.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

IIRC the USPA explicitly changed their wording so you have to be 18 now, ever since that one skydiver. Due to the legal system in this country, we can't have nice things. If you really can't wait 2 years (Maybe be a wind tunnel rat from 16-18 instead?) you could try Mexico or one of the Eastern European countries. I'm pretty sure everything's legal in Mexico!

Or you know, just be a tunnel rat for a couple years. That's what I'd do, if I was 16 and had access to Mom's credit card. :ph34r:

I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Parachute Center Lodi. I did my first tandem at 16, AFF at 17. They aren't USPA which it why they let 16-17 year olds jump with parents consent. With the new USPA rules you can't get your license until you're 18, but that doesn't really matter since until I turn 18, even with my license and 80 jumps, I can't jump at other dropzones because of how they set up their waivers.
Whats the point of living if you aren't doing what you love?

DanielRistow

Parachute Center Lodi. I did my first tandem at 16, AFF at 17. They aren't USPA which it why they let 16-17 year olds jump with parents consent. With the new USPA rules you can't get your license until you're 18, but that doesn't really matter since until I turn 18, even with my license and 80 jumps, I can't jump at other dropzones because of how they set up their waivers.

According to their website, 18 is minimum.

http://www.parachutecenter.com/
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Quagmirian

***18 is the minimum age to skydive in most first-world countries because of too many lawsuits.

Rigger please, here in freedom loving Yurop, we let children jump from as young as 16 or less.

Yeah, in Scandinavia as well - as long as they have parental consent, that is :)

countzero

Why not wait 2 more short years and go when you're 18. That way, in case you fall in love with the sport, you'll be old enough to get licensed and jump all you want on your own.

Hey best mate and I started at 16 and every cent went on jumping.he's got over 15 000 jumps...

Besides jumping is safer than girls:D
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

DanielRistow

GREAT NEWS! Just gave them a call, and you were right! The phone operator said that you can sky dive when you're 16 with parental consent. Thank you so much!

bodypen

GREAT NEWS! Just gave them a call, and you were right! The phone operator said that you can sky dive when you're 16 with parental consent. Thank you so much!

Yeah I was there today and asked about it too. Are you planning on just doing a tandem, or AFF too? If you're going next weekend I'll see you out there!
Whats the point of living if you aren't doing what you love?

bodypen

Hey guys,

A friend of mine and I are turning 16 soon and ever since childhood, it's been an all time dream to be able to go sky-diving. Several years ago, I remember doing research about sky-diving and learning that one can go skydiving when being 16 as long as they have parent consent.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any places in California that take 16 year olds anymore. Do you guys know of any that allow people 16 years of age to go on a tandem skydive? Please reply below if you know of any, and thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
Jeff

I have always told people that the DZ needs to have a waiver on file reflecting your age of legal majority, and that I would never impugn your integrity by asking for proof of what you aver.
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

In Quebec, at 16, there is no problem for skydiving (with parents permission). After all, you can fly an airplane solo at 15 but you will have to wait 17 to get your pilot licence.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.