Safelandings

Looking for a detailed packing video

I now have 82 jumps and just put my order in for an Icon neXgen and a Pilot main. I've been renting the whole time and only packed 3 times. I have seen videos on you tube on packing and some are good but is there anything really good that shows detailed shots of packing. I know Everyone probably thinking I should get packing lessons, and I will be. Just want to become very familiar with everything before I get some lessons.

Thanks Kelly

JohnnyBoulder

Get "Packing Made Simple". Also Brian Germain has a packing video product as well. Take another packing class and bring a video camera and film the packer packing your rig.

Jesus, times have changed...

What happened to going to the dropzone, waiting for a weather day and just buying an experienced jumper a couple of beers to show you how to do it, or making friends and getting them to take you though it?

Videos? Classes? [:/]

I'm sorry you got a pilot. I don't like them at all for newer jumpers no bottom end flare. Also I'm a little bias I love sabre 2s. I've seen a lot of people hurt themselves with pilots not flaring them correctly, You have to do it just right with them or it's gonna hurt a bit.

I literally just held a packing 'course' at my DZ this last Sunday. Videos + Written instructions can help... but shoulder tapping someone to go over it with you a few times and then dedicated repetition is the best way to learn. I encourage folks being taught the geography of the canopy prior to starting. Example: What is the Nose is, what load bearing ribs/non load bearing ribs are, the different line groups, What stabilizers are, what the tail edge is, brake line attachment points, etc. And ask a zillion questions as to why you are doing things a certain way.
Woot Woot!

yoink

What happened to going to the dropzone, waiting for a weather day and just buying an experienced jumper a couple of beers to show you how to do it, or making friends and getting them to take you though it?

Videos? Classes? [:/]

To be fair, the OP is a Canuck, so they're pretty much on one big weather hold till spring. A video might be helpful for home practice. But in general, yes, your approach works best... pack at the dropzone, stop and ask for help when you need it, and keep doing it till you've got it. It may mean you miss a load here and there when you're still new and slow... but it also means you won't miss out altogether later on if you're at a DZ where there aren't any packers or they're all busy with students/tandems/teams.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

SFM

I only recently learned to pack and found this vid very helpful

http://vimeo.com/98531050

clear instructions & a lot of close-ups

Very helpful video - does anyone else think the elastic bands (bungees) on the D-bag are very loose? It is as much as I can do to prise my elastic bands open at all, my rigger put small ones on all except the first closing one and that's where I really struggle. I have lost skin from my fingers several times just getting the lines neatly stowed.
A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

NvyZero

I'm sorry you got a pilot. I don't like them at all for newer jumpers no bottom end flare. Also I'm a little bias I love sabre 2s. I've seen a lot of people hurt themselves with pilots not flaring them correctly, You have to do it just right with them or it's gonna hurt a bit.

Love the Sabre2 went from 230-210-190 then made the switch to the 188 Pilot. Only thing that will make me switch back will be to upsize back to the 230 Sabre2 since they don't make one that big in the pilot as I have a 210 pilot already as well.

I love my landings on the pilot and never noticed anything like what your describing but I load my pilot at 1.4

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

I should do one. My packing method revolves around announcing loudly that you got this because you "Watched a packing video on youtube" and then proceeding directly to psycho packing it. See if anyone with a license higher than "B" will allow you to proceed, even if they know you're joking. Do not attempt this at a tandem factory and for the love of god don't actually jump that pack job if you manage to finish it without someone stopping you.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

justme12001

what's wrong with psycho packing?

Nothing other than increased canopy wear. I don't "psycho pack" anything but it was created by George Galloway as an easy method to pack a new ZP canopy without the material slipping all over the place and is called the "precision pack". I don't find it to be necessary to get my canopy packed so I don't do it but a few years back I spoke with Galloway directly for quite a while about a few things and he actually recommended the "Precision pack" to me as a way to potentially slow a fast opening canopy. It's authorized as a packing method by Precision for their canopies and when I talked to him that's how precision aerodynamics packed demo canopies. I'm not sure if they still do.

There are people out there that don't like it because it looks bad or they make assumptions about it but realistically the only real issues with it are that you have to remember which way you rotated the canopy so as to not induce a line twist, the canopy fabric rubs against itself as the pack unrolls since the center is pulled out of the roll and placed on top. The last one can be overcome with an extension to the bridle attachment point.

I don't see how it's anyone's business to stop you from packing that way considering it is an accepted packing method by a major manufacturer, especially if you are jumping a PA canopy. That being said, if your DZO or S&TA tells you not to, it's probably better not to argue since they don't have to let you jump there.

ETA: Here is the link to the article Galloway wrote about the precision pack that was in December 95 parachutist. There are also videos of them precision packing several of their canopies as well as a tandem.

http://www.precision.aero/packing.htm
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

justme12001

what's wrong with psycho packing?

If you can find a rigger who will approve its use with your canopy and teach you how to do it, that's great. I'm pretty sure someone learning to pack for the first time will not pick up what they need to know about it from the two (I counted) videos on the Internet that talk about it. If you say you watched a video and then start doing it and there's a D license anywhere in the room, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to hear the vein in their forehead pop from across the room.

:P
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Since when does a rigger have to approve a main packing method? If someone learns the basic pro pack it's not that hard to learn to precision pack. It's the same until you bag the canopy. I think everyone should be able to pro pack first but if they want to transition to precision packing after that then it's really their business.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Hey! Why all the hatin' on psycho packing? I agree a student should probably learn the traditional "pro pack", since more people will be able to help him and he is more likely to find better online instruction, etc. (And if chosing to psycho pack, it is helpful to have an 8 inch or so bridle extension.)

But once you know how to pack the traditional way, the transition is not complicated. And there are advantages of psycho packing beyond the ease of getting the canopy folded up and in the bag. The main one (IMO) is that, when layed out on the floor, you really don't do anything that can disturb the position of the lines, slider, and nose. And because you rotate it before putting it down, you can very easily open it up and inspect things to be sure nothing got disturbed with the floor flop. (recheck the slider, confirm no line is crossing the nose, etc). After that, you are doing two simple folds and then a roll; nothing that risks, say, creating a line-over or letting the slider get out of position (as might happen if you aren't careful when folding the canopy under itself with the tradational pro pack.)

I've done over 350 psycho packs and haven't yet had a problem.