4 4
jmd

Old Racer with a PoP on a cruiselight

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I can get that old thing into the container but have no idea what to do with the bridle routing or pilot chute stow and fold or where it goes ... can somebody direct to the file or give me info?

I appreciate the input.

Tnx!

Edited by jmd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmd said:

I can get that old thing into the container but have no idea what to do with the bridle routing or pilot chute stow and fold or where it goes ... can somebody direct to the file or give me info?

I appreciate the input.

Tnx!

Hi jmd,

Strangely, it looks like the Parachute Labs website is down.  

However, start [ there are at least 4 of them ] with this video & go from there:  packing_manual1.wmv - Bing video

And, it would be nice to know more about your rig; year of mfr, pullout, throwout, ripcord, etc.

Jerry Baumchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi jmd,

Strangely, it looks like the Parachute Labs website is down.  

However, start [ there are at least 4 of them ] with this video & go from there:  packing_manual1.wmv - Bing video

And, it would be nice to know more about your rig; year of mfr, pullout, throwout, ripcord, etc.

Jerry Baumchen

Sure thing ... Some round reserve that I never heard last packed at Flying High in Alberta Canada has aleft hand side direct pull deployment canopy and lines next to new ... Main has no manufacturers tag on the tail ... not sure where else to look ... just plain can't see one ... Slider has been cut between the webbing for a blow hole ... bag is a split one and I'll get you the finer details for sure and thanks for taking the time! Might have shortened lines for a CRW Dog ... I donno ... no expert here ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
11 minutes ago, jmd said:

Sure thing ... Some round reserve that I never heard last packed at Flying High in Alberta Canada has aleft hand side direct pull deployment canopy and lines next to new ... Main has no manufacturers tag on the tail ... not sure where else to look ... just plain can't see one ... Slider has been cut between the webbing for a blow hole ... bag is a split one and I'll get you the finer details for sure and thanks for taking the time! Might have shortened lines for a CRW Dog ... I donno ... no expert here ...

Hi jmd,

I would suggest that you get in touch with Al MacDonald.

He is out of the game since he sold Flying High; but, he might be able to help you.

If you need his new email, PM me.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  However, he does spend a fair amount of time in Mexico these days.

PPS)  Also, consider contacting Rob Warner [ Riggerrob on here ], he has seen/worked on just about everything.

 

Edited by JerryBaumchen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When packing pull-out pilot-chutes, the key is keeping most of the pilot-chute bulk in the lower right corner of the main container. That way, the first part of your pull only has to pull the pin. Then the second part of the pull extracts the pilot-chute. Kind of like a 2-stage trigger on a gun.

Manuals from other manufacturers of pull-out containers: Javelin, Vector, etc. will provide good hints.

Finally, take a close look at compatibility between the pull-out handle and the container. Flying High started with "fuzzy rat" all-Velcro handles, but eventually shifted to handles stiffened with a piece of plastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, riggerrob said:

When packing pull-out pilot-chutes, the key is keeping most of the pilot-chute bulk in the lower right corner of the main container.

Except that he said...

20 hours ago, jmd said:

...has aleft hand side direct pull deployment...

...which if that means what it sounds like, that the pull out is on the left side (which is odd and unusual but not unheard of), then the pilot chute bulk wants to be in the lower left corner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2022 at 8:46 PM, jmd said:

Sure thing ... Some round reserve that I never heard last packed at Flying High in Alberta Canada has aleft hand side direct pull deployment canopy and lines next to new ... Main has no manufacturers tag on the tail ... not sure where else to look ... just plain can't see one ... Slider has been cut between the webbing for a blow hole ... bag is a split one and I'll get you the finer details for sure and thanks for taking the time! Might have shortened lines for a CRW Dog ... I donno ... no expert here ...

Look in the left or right end cell for a stamp with the serial number and date of manufacture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kleggo said:

Matt, let me tell you about the time I saw an AFF 1st timer reach across to the right side with her left arm.................................

errrr try to reach.

:D

But AFF rigs have that reserve side handle on the BOC. She should have paid more attention in class!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2022 at 10:12 AM, riggerrob said:

When packing pull-out pilot-chutes, the key is keeping most of the pilot-chute bulk in the lower right corner of the main container. That way, the first part of your pull only has to pull the pin. Then the second part of the pull extracts the pilot-chute. Kind of like a 2-stage trigger on a gun.

Manuals from other manufacturers of pull-out containers: Javelin, Vector, etc. will provide good hints.

Finally, take a close look at compatibility between the pull-out handle and the container. Flying High started with "fuzzy rat" all-Velcro handles, but eventually shifted to handles stiffened with a piece of plastic.

Hey my friend! Long time! Have a racer here that has the pud ... I can get the shiterroo in the container but where does the pilot chute go and how is it folded? On No. one flap? under no. 2? Pie folds? Likely ... Where are you these days? PM me!

J-M

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2022 at 10:12 AM, riggerrob said:

When packing pull-out pilot-chutes, the key is keeping most of the pilot-chute bulk in the lower right corner of the main container. That way, the first part of your pull only has to pull the pin. Then the second part of the pull extracts the pilot-chute. Kind of like a 2-stage trigger on a gun.

Manuals from other manufacturers of pull-out containers: Javelin, Vector, etc. will provide good hints.

Finally, take a close look at compatibility between the pull-out handle and the container. Flying High started with "fuzzy rat" all-Velcro handles, but eventually shifted to handles stiffened with a piece of plastic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

From an old manual if you are still unsure.

Really, one can stuff the pilot chute in just about anywhere it fits on top of the bag. Mushroom it, or fold it neatly, whatever.  Just has to be clear (not jammed in between the bag and container when it is open), and the base has to be near the corner with the pud, so the pud can pull the pin without having to move the pilot chute (so it doesn't jam when the container is closed).    Something about not being pretty but it works. Not sure if it grandfathers you to pull at 2k.  :-)

I used to use a Racer with a pullout.

Racer pullout packing (from ~1998 manual).jpg

Edited by pchapman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pchapman said:

From an old manual if you are still unsure.

Really, one can stuff the pilot chute in just about anywhere it fits on top of the bag. Mushroom it, or fold it neatly, whatever.  Just has to be clear (not jammed in between the bag and container when it is open), and the base has to be near the corner with the pud, so the pud can pull the pin without having to move the pilot chute (so it doesn't jam when the container is closed).    Something about not being pretty but it works. Not sure if it grandfathers you to pull at 2k.  :-)

I used to use a Racer with a pullout.

Racer pullout packing (from ~1998 manual).jpg

There it is! really appreciate your time ...

Blue Skies J-M

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2022 at 1:48 PM, accumack said:

Look in the left or right end cell for a stamp with the serial number and date of manufacture.

I have seen at least one canopy where the info was stamped on the center cell/ center rib.

JW

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

4 4