1 1
JoeWeber

Arizona SB1159

41 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The Dr. who did perform the abortion was outed by the AG of her state, threatened with legal action, and now has to worry that some American idiot with a high powered rifle will assassinate her, which is the fate of others in the same posistion. Open your eyes Airdvr.

A lot of anti-abortion people simply don't connect their position to anything that happens in the real world.  (Not directing this at Airdvr.)  I read a series of interviews once with abortion clinic workers.  They talked about the abortion protesters they saw outside that would come in for abortions, and then the very next day be out there protesting.  There were over 20 such accounts.

In a more recent one, an Atlanta abortion protester came in for her abortion at the clinic she once protested.  From the doctor involved:

"She talked about being in the marches, and said she had spent a lot of time volunteering in crisis pregnancy centers - you know, showing patients the ultrasound image and explaining what happens.  She said she had been anti-abortion her whole life, and that her whole family was like her - and yet she was so appreciative of the care she received from us. She literally was like, ‘I’m so grateful that I’m able to make this choice for myself.’  You sometimes have anti people who are like, ‘Promise me no one’s going to find out, my boss cannot know,’ [because] they work in the Republican legislature or something. Which has happened—but this patient was so appreciative.”

Another doctor said that "all of us who do abortions see patients quite regularly who tell us, ‘I’m not pro-choice, but I just can’t continue this pregnancy.'  We’ve even seen people coming into the clinic off the protester lines to get their abortion, then return to protesting outside the clinic. These are not people who turn anti-choice after having an abortion, but who simply access this essential service when they need it in spite of their personal beliefs about abortion in general.”

The doctor has realized that most anti-abortion women believe that abortion should only be legal in cases of rape, incest or me.

A third doctor once had a protester march into their waiting room, announce they were all sinners and should leave immediately.  A receptionist pulled her aside and asked her to leave.  She said she couldn't - she was there for an abortion.

It's easy to say that they are all just hypocrites.  But there are so many examples like the above that I think it may be that they simply have completely separated their views on abortion from anything that impacts anyone's life.  And so when THEY need an abortion, they of course get one.  And that decision has nothing to do with their views on abortion.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-women-who-leave-anti-abortion-picket-lines-to-get-abortions

19 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Re:  pay is a problem

My former wife taught 2nd grade for four years.  I would argue that it is not the pay.  It is the respect.  Nobody is on the teacher's side anymore.

When 'Johnny Can't Read' is the teacher's fault, we are doomed.

Fortunately, she taught both of our kids to read before they were in kindergarten.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  And, when you have a problem child along with problem parents, no teacher can get him/her to read.

Jerry - My wife taught for 28 years. You are correct. When she had a good leader there were minimal school problems and she enjoyed teaching. Lucky for us her pay wasn't an issue. When the leadership changed and respect went away the problems increased. Teaching was no longer enjoyable. There are many causes of the teacher shortage. Some seek that career because of the schedule and summers off.  Respect, pay, working conditions, etc. all play a role, just like any job.

In SC the starting pay with a Bachelors Degree ranges from $36.0 - $41.7K. Looking at Richland County, location of the capital, it's $41k. After 10 years it's $46k, and it tops out in 25 yrs at $57k. With a Masters Degree it starts at $44.5k and tops out at $67k. For many folks, those pay levels aren't interesting. Also, there is no incentive. The worst teacher gets paid the same as the best teacher. It's all about time-in-existence, not performance.

https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=https%3A%2F%2Fed.sc.gov%2Ffinance%2Ffinancial-data%2Fhistorical-data%2Fteacher-salary-schedules%2Ffiscal-year-2021-2022-district-minimum-salary-schedules%2F&wdOrigin=BROWSELINK

In my company - A lineman with no degree was making $60 - $80. A clerk was making $50+. In the power plant the highest paid guy was an old super nice black guy with no degree but dang he could operate a bulldozer pushing coal around, was making more than the plant manager with his EE degree. When the trains arrive they have to be unloaded, he enjoyed plenty of OT.

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

No doctor would allow a 10 yo to have a child.

Hi airdvr,

I usually give your posts some credence.

Now, I have to wonder if you live in the real world.

Take some time, do some homework on the various state laws regarding abortions.

When you finish, you just might want to retract that statement.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

Jerry - My wife taught for 28 years. You are correct. When she had a good leader there were minimal school problems and she enjoyed teaching. Lucky for us her pay wasn't an issue. When the leadership changed and respect went away the problems increased. Teaching was no longer enjoyable. There are many causes of the teacher shortage. Some seek that career because of the schedule and summers off.  Respect, pay, working conditions, etc. all play a role, just like any job.

In SC the starting pay with a Bachelors Degree ranges from $36.0 - $41.7K. Looking at Richland County, location of the capital, it's $41k. After 10 years it's $46k, and it tops out in 25 yrs at $57k. With a Masters Degree it starts at $44.5k and tops out at $67k. For many folks, those pay levels aren't interesting. Also, there is no incentive. The worst teacher gets paid the same as the best teacher. It's all about time-in-existence, not performance.

https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=https%3A%2F%2Fed.sc.gov%2Ffinance%2Ffinancial-data%2Fhistorical-data%2Fteacher-salary-schedules%2Ffiscal-year-2021-2022-district-minimum-salary-schedules%2F&wdOrigin=BROWSELINK

In my company - A lineman with no degree was making $60 - $80. A clerk was making $50+. In the power plant the highest paid guy was an old super nice black guy with no degree but dang he could operate a bulldozer pushing coal around, was making more than the plant manager with his EE degree. When the trains arrive they have to be unloaded, he enjoyed plenty of OT.

Holy shit.

Right now in biotech in San Diego the STARTING salary for just about the most junior scientist position (RA) is $50-$60k. And that’s with a single undergraduate degree.

On 7/18/2022 at 5:38 AM, JoeWeber said:

"Gov. Doug Ducey signed into law another education measure decreeing that public school teachers are no longer required to have a college degree of any kind before being hired. Arizona teachers will only have to be enrolled in college in order to begin teaching the state's public school students."

Education? We don't need no stinkin' education. 

“I love the poorly educated”.