1 1
JoeWeber

Arizona SB1159

"Gov. Doug Ducey signed into law another education measure decreeing that public school teachers are no longer required to have a college degree of any kind before being hired. Arizona teachers will only have to be enrolled in college in order to begin teaching the state's public school students."

Education? We don't need no stinkin' education. 

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

"Gov. Doug Ducey signed into law another education measure decreeing that public school teachers are no longer required to have a college degree of any kind before being hired. Arizona teachers will only have to be enrolled in college in order to begin teaching the state's public school students."

Wow.  I knew jack shit my first year of college.  Thinking about teaching high school kids at that point makes me laugh.  

Of course, if all you need to teach them is "woke is bad, stand for the Pledge, Lord loves a working man" it's a lot easier.

18 minutes ago, billvon said:

Wow.  I knew jack shit my first year of college.  Thinking about teaching high school kids at that point makes me laugh.  

Of course, if all you need to teach them is "woke is bad, stand for the Pledge, Lord loves a working man" it's a lot easier.

Right, I hear that Larry Hill will take up a teaching post in Eloy. "Alright, kids, so today we're going to do some hands on Otter flying. We don't need no 300 hour Chandler Flight School kids and waste $125 bucks a day on them to be our jumpers Otter pilots anymore!"

(edited)

Meanwhile in Russia: Russia seeks to militarize schoolchildren and censor textbooks amid war

Russia: programme of ‘patriotic education’ aims to create next generation of Putin faithful

IMO not unrelated or thread drift. Be it republicans or other authoritarian governments. Politicians are more and more willing to stick their noses into business that they have no business doing. Putin and republicans, both pandering to their bases.

For Arizona spending money on qualified teachers is a waste of precious cash. More dumbing of America.

Edited by Phil1111

Well, to be fair, Arizona has a serious teacher shortage — over 25% of vacancies are unfilled, and over half of vacancies are filled by teachers without the proper credentials. The bill also makes it easier to regain expired (but not removed) certificates. This may be a case of doing something less than perfect to make a more critical bad situation less bad. Not a good solution, but it puts bodies into classrooms.

Increasing pay would probably also help, but why pay poor people when you can just qualify more poor people and increase the size of the applicant pool?

Wendy P. 

4 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Well, to be fair, ...

Increasing pay would probably also help, but why pay poor people when you can just qualify more poor people and increase the size of the applicant pool?

Wendy P. 

Pay does wonders for job mobility.

Florida is proposing something similar, but worse:  veterans would be eligible to be hired as teachers, regardless of whether they have any university-level education.

Currently, B.S./B.A. holders can be employed as teachers without a teaching certificate, but they must test and earn all applicable certificates within two years to keep the position.  While I would hope the veteran proposal would require the same, I don't know whether it does.

• Like 1

Arizona Education Associations's Mission: Keeping the Promise of Quality Public Education

I just don't see it being explained away by teacher shortages. More likely is a paycheck shortage. But going even further, what the holy hell are people doing still moving to Arizona?  It's the 3rd fastest growing state and except for water from the Colorado (nearly gone) everyone there would be screwed. Mind bogglingly, with over 300 for realsy sunny days a year their power comes from coal, gas and nuclear. Crazy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

But going even further, what the holy hell are people doing still moving to Arizona?  It's the 3rd fastest growing state and except for water from the Colorado (nearly gone) everyone there would be screwed. Mind bogglingly, with over 300 for realsy sunny days a year their power comes from coal, gas and nuclear. Crazy.

No kidding. I was in Phoenix recently, and commented on the lack of solar panels. Electricity is cheap because of hydro. It’s not raining today, so why fix the roof isn’t a great long-term approach

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

No kidding. I was in Phoenix recently, and commented on the lack of solar panels. Electricity is cheap because of hydro. It’s not raining today, so why fix the roof isn’t a great long-term approach

Wendy P. 

They're so heat stroke confused and undereducated they voted for both Biden and Sinema. Great place to live if you don't mind being baffled, desiccated and racing into the mall before your shoe soles melt.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Yeah, pay them better, not reduce qualifications.

No Way! That would mean raising MY taxes (if I lived in AZ). It is much better if we just lower the cost & quality of public education and make parents pay that cost by sending their kids to private schools.

1 minute ago, CygnusX-1 said:

No Way! That would mean raising MY taxes (if I lived in AZ). It is much better if we just lower the cost & quality of public education and make parents pay that cost by sending their kids to private schools.

A strong education system benefits society as a whole.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Education? We don't need no stinkin' education. 

Hi Joe,

Not a bad deal for any guy/gal who signs up for a part-time welding class at the local community college.

Is immediate tenure next?

When you dumb down a society, everyone suffers.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  The cause is retirees do not want to pay into any educational system; they don't need it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, billvon said:

That reminds me of my grandmother back in the-good-old-days a century ago. She barely graduated high school herself before she got a job teaching in a one-room school house. She was only expected to teach for a year or three before she found a husband. After that, married women were expected to work at home.

A generation later, my mother had to study - at a teacher's college - for a couple of years before she was qualified to teach kindergarten. To keep her job and get raises, she eventually had to upgrade her education (summer school at Bishop's University) to a Master's Degree.

A generation later, my nieces need a 3 year Bachelor of Arts Degree, plus a couple of years at teacher's college to qualify for Ontario teaching licenses. After that, they are still expected to take summer school courses to complete a Masters' Degree if they want raises and promotions.

Most recently, I was encourage to take up teaching English as a second language, but (despite my Bachelor of Arts Degree, lots of coaching qualifications issued by the Coaching Association of Canada and CSPA and 18 years teaching skydiving full-time) I would still need to study at University of British Columbia for a couple more years to earn a high-school teaching license.

Yes, it is possible to get into TESL with only a short course, but then you end up as little more than slave labor in an East Asian country.

Perhaps I should take a second look at the YMCA's TESL program considering that they are building a new YMCA within spitting distance of my apartment.??????

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P. 

That party is coming to an end. Water reservoirs through the entire SW basin is at the verge of collapse. Drought has dropped water levels and the head of hydro power available for 15 years now.

I was reading about the drought in Texas and how ranchers are selling off stock again.For the third straight year Texas will be an importer of hay. Even as herd sizes shrink. Heat and drought are decimating forage and cash crops. But at least there are lots of guns.

• Like 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, billvon said:

And desperate pregnant women, some as young as 10.  So there's that, too.

Please.  If the mother (who knew about the abuse) had reported the rape to the authorities the child would have seen a doctor and a D & C would have been ordered.  Instead...this

https://fox59.com/news/national-world/everything-they-are-saying-against-him-is-a-lie-mother-of-10-year-old-rape-victim-defends-suspect-to-reporter/

But that's a whole 'nother thread.

Edited by airdvr
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Please.  If the mother (who knew about the abuse) had reported the rape to the authorities the child would have seen a doctor and a D & C would have been ordered.  Instead...this

https://fox59.com/news/national-world/everything-they-are-saying-against-him-is-a-lie-mother-of-10-year-old-rape-victim-defends-suspect-to-reporter/

But that's a whole 'nother thread.

So what? The child needs to pay for the sins of the mother? You do realize that a “D&C” done on a pregnant female is just another term for a abortion don’t you?

Just now, gowlerk said:

So what? The child needs to pay for the sins of the mother? You do realize that a “D&C” done on a pregnant female is just another term for a abortion don’t you?

Absolutely I do.  Point is the child would have had that procedure had the mother reported the rape.

4 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Please.  If the mother (who knew about the abuse) had reported the rape the child would have seen a doctor and a D & C would have been ordered.  Instead...this

The woman who claimed to be the girls mother, didn't give her name, and  who was found at the accused rapists home, simply states that everything they say about the accused is a lie. Nothing fishy there. Oh, and the accused admitted to having sexual relations with the then 9 year old twice. What say we hold off on any opinion based on that report.

Just now, airdvr said:

Absolutely I do.  Point is the child would have had that procedure had the mother reported the rape.

In what world do rape victims get subjected to D&Cs unless they are getting an abortion? I think you may have been sold an “alternative set of facts” by a right wing news outlet.