thatguythedj

need help with my suit

I am looking to order my 1st RW suit. I am a light weight slow fall type of guy. I have been doing some research on fabrics and know slick and tight are better for me. My question is, which materials are better for holding up, looking good and faster.
Should I go Nylon, supplex, spandex, or naked (j/k on this).
I wanna make sure what I get is the right move.

Get a Nylon front suit, with spandex forearm and back. Also get booties. Typical RW competition setup.

Depending on your height and weight, you may also want to think about a weight belt. Talk to a local respected RW type person and get their feedback.
Remster

thatguythedj

***Just spray-paint something on, and you'll fall super-fast!

That has been suggested to me before. I'm starting to think it might come down to that. lol

Learn to arch, and as I said, talk about a respected RW guy about a weight belt. If one tells you its a crutch, find someone better.
Remster

You will learn to fall faster with experience, unless you have hip and/or back problems. Just as fast fallers generally learn to fall slower with experience. But at your size, yes, compensation is necessary, and using suits and weight belts is a whole lot better than beer :ph34r:

One thing to think about is making sure that your grippers aren't right on the sides of your arms and legs. It's surprising the difference that having great big sails right at your widest parts can make a difference. I'm naturally much floatier than I look (I'm wide, not deep), and having the grippers on my latest suit moved to where they're partly on the back of the legs, and getting rid of the inside grippers (I'm not seriously into 4-way) made a huge difference. You'll need an experienced RW person to discuss this with for your particular body. You don't want to make things unnecessarily difficult for people doing RW with you, but OTOH, having range is wonderful.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Remster

Get a Nylon front suit, with spandex forearm and back. Also get booties. Typical RW competition setup.

Depending on your height and weight, you may also want to think about a weight belt. Talk to a local respected RW type person and get their feedback.

seconded
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

thatguythedj

I am looking to order my 1st RW suit. I am a light weight slow fall type of guy. I have been doing some research on fabrics and know slick and tight are better for me. My question is, which materials are better for holding up, looking good and faster.
Should I go Nylon, supplex, spandex, or naked (j/k on this).
I wanna make sure what I get is the right move.

Look at the Tony Suit Pit Special and the Bev Suit Comp suit. They are nearly identical in design. IMO the Tony Suit is a bit more durable but in fairness it will be about 50 bucks more expensive given the same options. For a guy with your build I would go with the following.

- Nylon front for speed. The back will be spandex to keep the body snug.

- Spandex lower arms.

- Small or medium grippers. Grippers create a lot more drag than many think, so keeping them small really helps.

- No inside leg gripper unless you plan to do competition. They add drag and (arguably) they don't add much benefit in fun jumping.

- Regular (small) booties. Booties create a lot of drag and mega booties can be a bit tough for younger jumpers to fly with.

- Fabrics - beyond the nylon front and spandex arms for speed, your options are 4-ply or supplex for the cotton areas. This will be for the leg area. These two fabrics are very similar in strength and durability. Supplex is a slightly lighter fabric often preferred by folks in warm climates. As far as fall rate, there's no real advantage in either.

- Bootie fabric - options are supplex, 4-ply, parapac, cordura, and ballistic nylon. IMO supplex and 4-ply don't create enough drag to be truly effective. For slow falling jumpers I like parapac. It's a "nylon-like" material with a weight closer to cordura (the stuff most rigs are made of). It's a bit less "grabby" than cordura and slightly faster.

Gripper fabric - options are supplex, 4-ply, and cordura. Cordura will create added drag. Go with supplex or 4-ply. Either is fine.

Options:

Unless you have really small feet, I would get inseam zippers. Makes getting the suit on and off much easier.

Be sure to get fitted by a dealer. Measurements for bootie suits must be accurate to make the booties work well.

One last thing. Buy the Jack-the-Ripper hook knife option. It's only 20 bucks. Get it mounted on the thigh on your strong side - left if left handed, right if right handed. You may never need it but if you need it and don't have it you may never need it again.

Message me if you have any questions.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

No inside leg gripper unless you plan to do competition

But plan on doing some competition because it's awesome :P

(Rookie 4-way is, IMO, about the best bang for buck skills improvement curve for a beginner skydiver, even one who intends to freefly. And much much fun.)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

chuckakers

One last thing. Buy the Jack-the-Ripper hook knife option. It's only 20 bucks. Get it mounted on the thigh on your strong side - left if left handed, right if right handed. You may never need it but if you need it and don't have it you may never need it again.

Message me if you have any questions.

Thanks for all of this. This is a lot of help. I will look into all of these options and find what is best. I can't wait to get back in the sky. It's damn cold here now. COME ON SPRING!

Joellercoaster

***No inside leg gripper unless you plan to do competition

But plan on doing some competition because it's awesome :P

(Rookie 4-way is, IMO, about the best bang for buck skills improvement curve for a beginner skydiver, even one who intends to freefly. And much much fun.)

I have done 2 FAILED 4-ways, but they were a lot of fun. I am looking forward to attempting to do more when the weather gets warmer here.

Joellercoaster

This intrigues me ... tell me more! How do you even get started in something like this? I feel like getting into RW is tough bc it seems everyone who does it has been doing it forever - not a whole lot of room for beginners (we mess up a lot!)
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation.

EChen22

This intrigues me ... tell me more! How do you even get started in something like this? I feel like getting into RW is tough bc it seems everyone who does it has been doing it forever - not a whole lot of room for beginners (we mess up a lot!)

Are you still in the Tampa area? If so we can find you some rookie 4-way at ZHills. Not this weekend, though...too fucking cold. lol

Shoot me a PM.

EChen22

Find your local NSL league! They'll put on meets, skills camps, tunnel events. Great way to get connected and learn 4-way.

http://ww1.skyleague.com/
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

http://www.intrudair.hu/about_materials.html

These guys do a good job showing the difference in fabrics. A lot of companies also do different "cuts".

Like others have said you're going to want mostly nylon. Some people will always use a weight belt. It will help with your range of speeds and you wont have to try as hard to "keep up" and free you up to think more about the jump.
"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."- Helen Keller
www.AdrenalineSkyGear.com