Drago

"That Guy"

Drago

*********Don't be "That Guy" that doesn't say anything to him after the jump or to the S&TA about it and post it anonymously online thinking that will fix the problem.

It's not my job to tell kids they shouldn't listen to music. It's not a violation of any BSR.

Yeah, but it's not your job to bitch about it on the web either - and the one is certainly more useful than the other.

Why is pointing out something unsafe categorized as "bitching"?

OK - so even though it's not a BSR violation you still feel it's unsafe. So why didn't you talk to him about it?

It's not your job to tell anyone - I just don't understand how you can care enough to tell a bunch of random strangers on the internet but not care enough to tell the guy who you think is putting himself in danger.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Now if you tell me you never showed anyone one of your videos and tried to impress a
>girl with how cool skydiving is then i'll apologies but I don't know any jumper that didn't
>tell everyone they know when they first started jumping.

Personally, I did. I did some other stupid stuff as well. Then I learned.

A lot of skydivers go through that stage. It's a dangerous time, and hopefully enough skydivers tire of his shit - and tell him about it - that he grows up.

Didn't say you were a bad guy. Envious? Yes. Why? I have no idea that's between you and your therapist.

I did ask you and you didn't answer about your jump numbers, license and ratings since you made yourself sound like you have been around a long time and couldn't be bothered with the FNG.

Something else I was wondering about, you said you went out first and then he followed and you were spotting. Sounds like a 182 load with a couple solo's? If so asking for help with gear and clothing shouldn't be looked down upon. Hell I have to ask for help getting out of the door on a 182 and I sit right next to it being a big fat fucker.

Last what do you have against "fancy" full face helmets? I am going to make a big assumption here that you either don't have the money for one or you have never taken a knee to the chin either way putting that in their makes you sound extremely envious of this guy.

Now you can take that as me picking on you or try to remove yourself from the equation and look at what you wrote and how you wrote it from an outside perspective or don't. Either way please answer my questions about your experience so I can understand your old fashion perspective.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

catfishhunter

Didn't say you were a bad guy. Envious? Yes. Why? I have no idea that's between you and your therapist.

You really should stop substituting your own thoughts as my own. And the insult too.

I did ask you and you didn't answer about your jump numbers, license and ratings since you made yourself sound like you have been around a long time and couldn't be bothered with the FNG.

Irrelevant. Either my concerns about those observations are correct, or they're not. How many jumps I have doesn't enter into the equation. It's not that I couldn't be bothered with him, he was distracting me at a critical time in the flight, and spotting was a priority over his camera.

Something else I was wondering about, you said you went out first and then he followed and you were spotting. Sounds like a 182 load with a couple solo's? If so asking for help with gear and clothing shouldn't be looked down upon.

Wrong assumption. Caravan load. Us two solos, followed by a bunch of tandems. I did start to help him with his clothing, but then as I was reaching he got it himself. But anyone who can't unfold a turned-inward collar, um, that's a fairly basic task. You feel with your fingers, and pull it out. He also had several other questions on the way to altitude. He was very needy. If I had stopped to help him with his camera on jump run, the spot would have gone long, and tandems might have landed off. Now which is more important: making sure the air is clear and the spot is correct for a bunch of tandems, or making sure a solo jumper's camera is turned on?

Last what do you have against "fancy" full face helmets? I am going to make a big assumption here that you either don't have the money for one or you have never taken a knee to the chin either way putting that in their makes you sound extremely envious of this guy.

You really should stop substituting your own thoughts as my own. I have nothing against full face helmets. But if you wear one, don't expect people to understand you when you try and talk behind that full chin piece on a noisy airplane with the door open. And buying all new fancy equipment doesn't help if you make unsafe decisions. I'd rather see a poor jumper who works on the widget assembly line, and has a dirty rig and a cheap Pro-tec helmet, who is doing everything right.

Drago tired of all this talk. He no speak this much in movie "Rocky" when he try and crush Mr. Balboa.

Guy A calls out (in dz.com) guy B that cares more about looking cool than knowing his shit and paying attention to the dive. Guy C tells guy A that he is envious of guy B's mad skillz and coolness. Thread drifts to personal attacks. Business as usual :D

Deimian

Guy A calls out (in dz.com) guy B that cares more about looking cool than knowing his shit and paying attention to the dive. Guy C tells guy A that he is envious of guy B's mad skillz and coolness. Thread drifts to personal attacks. Business as usual :D

Winter time blues!
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

What is really important and missing information is

what was "that guy" jumping?

If "that guy" is riding something ginormous, yeah he is a douchebag.

If "that guy" is riding something tiny, don't give him a pin check, he'll get pissed.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I don't have any issue with your premise just your delivery. if you cant see that then I worry more about you then the FNG.

Now back to you. You said the load of Tandems and pilot were depending on you to spot the plane. So yes your jumps and experience are relevant since you couldn't be bothered by the FNG

You also said "others' landed before him then you said it was just 2 people on the plane and tandems yet you said "Didn't watch anyone else land to follow them" who was this anyone else? Just you? Or did the tandems make it down before him? Or where their video guys on the load the beat down the solo belly flier?

Trying to get the whole picture and get past the shiny new gear and pretty girl and being able to afford to pay a packer :)

Not so much fun being called out now is it? This guy you slammed on dizzy just might find this post and instead of learning he is going to think you nothing but a prick and envious of his pretty girlfriend and shiny new gear. Next time pull him aside and talk with him about your concerns. If your a FNG too then pull in an instructor to moderate what is a real concern and what isn't but most of all do it as a fellow jumper instead of what you did here.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

catfishhunter

I don't have any issue with your premise just your delivery. if you cant see that then I worry more about you then the FNG.

Now back to you. You said the load of Tandems and pilot were depending on you to spot the plane. So yes your jumps and experience are relevant since you couldn't be bothered by the FNG

You also said "others' landed before him then you said it was just 2 people on the plane and tandems yet you said "Didn't watch anyone else land to follow them" who was this anyone else? Just you? Or did the tandems make it down before him? Or where their video guys on the load the beat down the solo belly flier?

Trying to get the whole picture and get past the shiny new gear and pretty girl and being able to afford to pay a packer :)

Not so much fun being called out now is it? This guy you slammed on dizzy just might find this post and instead of learning he is going to think you nothing but a prick and envious of his pretty girlfriend and shiny new gear. Next time pull him aside and talk with him about your concerns. If your a FNG too then pull in an instructor to moderate what is a real concern and what isn't but most of all do it as a fellow jumper instead of what you did here.

Old Russian proverb say; when dug yourself to rock bottom deep hole, stop digging.

You young guys crack me up.

Wait for cool that guy dude to go in, then swoop his awesome gear, car AND hot chick.

Do us old guys have to show you everything???

:P

On a serious note. I am thinking about banning music on all loads at my dz. It's a distraction and safety hazard, IMHO.

carry on.

Well I for one would give my left nut to Be That Guy again

If you give both of them up, you could work on being a skydiving girl. Trust me, the selection on the DZ is much better when you're looking for guys than when you're looking for girls :)

And if it were a guy making the rounds of all the women, he's a player and way cool; all you guys joking about "you don't lose your girlfriend, you just lose your turn" remember that.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I did start to help him with his clothing, but then as I was reaching he got it himself. But anyone who can't unfold a turned-inward collar, um, that's a fairly basic task. You feel with your fingers, and pull it out.

[inline thatguy.png]

:ph34r:

IMO, the first task any living beings should do is staying alive. What you are reporting is nowaday a serious and vital problem. More and more, you see people, generally relatively young with low experience, who don't care about letting their basic instinct works by itself : ie SURVIVE. Some skydivers think that if they know how to react at the right time, they will do it in an appropriate way. Which is not enough ! Practice, rehearsal, anticipation, dirt dive...and knowing your procedures and equipment and how to use it...are all among ways to be able to perform as it should. Ask to serious athletes, ask the military people about the value of practice. Fashion, trend, showing off, pride especially when women are around or just trying to "look" younger and cool...makes some people taking unnecessary risks. Unfortunately, very few but some older skydivers follow up that trend. Is that attitude a by product of the AAD use or improvement of equipment, bippers...? To be discussed.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

This post is interesting but it'd be way more interesting if you had at at least gotten a pic of his hot girlfriend! Don't you at least have gopro footage to show us so we can judge for ourselves the hotness factor?

But on a serious note I'd never in my life consider jumping with music blaring in my ears or for that matter snow ski, snowmobile or anything else that requires my full attention since if I didn't give my full attention there would a higher chance of dying or injuring myself.

If I were to jump with music though it'd definitely be Fear Factory or Pantera, I'd probably explode from all the adrenaline rushing through my veins and die of a heart attack. Heavy metal while skydiving isn't a good mixture. Hmm maybe Gravity Kills?

http://www.songlyrics.com/megadeth/high-speed-dirt-lyrics/

Do it if you dare, leaping from the sky
Hurling through the air, exhilarating high
See the earth below, soon to make a crater
Blue sky, black death, I'm off to meet my maker

Energy of the Gods, adrenalin surge
Won't stop till I hit the ground, I'm on my way for sure
Up here in the air, this will never hurt
I'm on my way to impact, taste the high speed dirt

Paralyzed with fear, feel velocity gain
Entering a near, catatonic state
Pressure of the sound roaring through my head