jkbernstein

Total Reverse Shoulder Replacement

Anyone have any personal experience with this procedure, or know anyone who does? I'm facing one, and need to know if I'm going to be able to jump afterward. (Please respond only if you can actually speak from experience. I don't need hypothesizing about what I "should" be able to do; I can do that myself.)
May the (relative) wind take your troubles away...

I'm not exactly sure what a "total reverse shoulder replacement" is, so I did some googling. They talk about being susceptible to dislocations in the forward motions, etc.

I read some of the rehab guidelines too. Sounds like at least 9 months to a year to get where you want to be. I've had lesser surgery, both rotator cuffs reattached. Right side it was 8 months without jumping, left side 6 months. Both times I followed rehab instructions to the letter and did all my exercises religiously. I'm back as good as ever, maybe even in better shape.:D

The best thing is talk to your doctor and your physical therapist about wanting to resume "athletic activities" after surgery and recovery. I didn't mention skydiving first time thru, because that is kind of a red flag with some doctors and PT people. I just told them I wanted to be active, to "have my life back." I have a friend with an artificial shoulder that jumps every sunny Saturday we have in Seattle. ( about 5 or 6 a year;):D). He's doing great. B|

Best of luck to you. :)

jkbernstein

Anyone have any personal experience with this procedure, or know anyone who does? I'm facing one, and need to know if I'm going to be able to jump afterward. (Please respond only if you can actually speak from experience. I don't need hypothesizing about what I "should" be able to do; I can do that myself.)

What JM said. It depends.

My right shoulder needed about 9 months for complete recovery after 'open' operation (front scar of abt. 15 cm from right shoulder top down to armpit) : Nearly all tendons in my right shoulder plus the rotator cuff were torn. No broken bones.

Still today, the right side motion radius is limited to about 70 percent.

What exactly has to be done with your shoulder?

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Thanks for the input and encouragement, guys, though that's not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm actually pretty well versed myself in recovery after more conventional shoulder surgeries: I've had 6 arthroscopic rotator cuff/labrum repairs (including biceps tenodesis on both shoulders), and one open surgery where pig tendon was grafted on to my supraspinatus. Every surgery was done in December or January, and each time I was jumping again by June or July.

I have just blown out my rotator cuff AGAIN, (why it was so susceptible to injury is a long story...) and, because the muscle is so degraded, another repair is not an option. Additionally, the arthritic and osteolytic damage to the bone is extensive, necessitating a total replacement.

Christel, the procedure I'm facing is a Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement (I transposed the first two words in the title). You can read about it here: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00504 The short version is that a traditional shoulder replacement involves replacing the ball (humeral head) and socket (glenoid) of the shoulder joint with artificial parts. However, in order for this procedure to be successful, you need an intact rotator cuff, which I no longer have. (The clinical term to describe my rc, according to my surgeon, is "completely shredded.") A Reverse Replacement involves the reversing the position of the two parts, so that the ball part comes out from your body, and the socket is at the top of your humerus. It's more stable than real shoulder (which is inherently unstable), and allows you to use other muscles (like your deltoid) to move your arm, so that you no longer need a rotator cuff for either stability or motion. It's actually pretty cool.

I have a great surgeon and wonderful physical therapist, both of whom are fully aware (and supportive!) of my jumping. I've read the available information about recovery from this procedure, including the one study that's been done; it's limited because the procedure is pretty new (at least in the U.S.). I know what the statistics say, and what I need to do to increase my chance of success. I'm wondering if there are any jumpers who have actually had this procedure, and can attest to their new joint's ability to withstand the rigors of freefall.
May the (relative) wind take your troubles away...

A. I'm sorry it's gotten to this. I have nothing to offer in terms of information
B. If you're the first skydiver to have it, CASE OF BEER!

Wendy P.
(Wendy from Spaceland)
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

i have not had this done but i am a physical therapist assistant and have seen many patients with that procedure and many end up better off after the procedure. the key as mentioned above is being very diligent with your rehab (and having a good surgeon). in my opinion (not knowing too much about you) it is very possible to skydive after this procedure it may just be awhile depending on how your rehab goes. good luck!