Bealio

PD Storm

I just got a PD Storm and have 5 jumps on it. I noticed the brake settings are pretty deep compared to other canopies i've flown. When doing rear riser turns after opening (before i unstow my toggles), it stalls a bit and gets "shakey". My wing loading is about 1.1. I use the canopy for wing suiting and not crew. Should I consider making my brakes for shallow?

I've observed the same thing on storms loaded 1.35 and 1.7. You should give PD a buzz about changing the brake settings. My guess is that this would alter the openings quite a bit.

On my part, I've gotten used to it. You don't have the same turning power as with many other canopies, but a combination harness and rear riser input works out fine.

PD addresses, somewhat, the control line length in this document:

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/StormCFStormFAQFlightCharacteristics.PDF

TL;DR - designed that way for a reason and PD recommends keeping them that way without a real issue (ie: more than a handful of jumps on the canopy).

At 1:1 you're going to be climbing the risers to get the thing to harness turn. I put a few hundred on a Storm and, like most, just learned to live with the long lines.

I had a storm 190 and the brakes were very deep. I always had to really kill it to get the best flare. Shortening the brake lines may help, but you dont want them so tight they are pulling when they are fully released. You can always take a wrap and see if it helps.

I also noticed a huge improvement on my storm after a reline. I originally had old dacron lines, so they may have been out of trim.

I jump Storm 120's loaded at 1.6 at work. Yes, the brakes are set very deep, but I've grown accustomed to it. The only time it becomes problematic is when you have a brake-fire. As for the landings: I swoop the hell out of mine! Yes, you have to turn them low, but when you have built up some speed they will almost "auto land".

Chuck

I jump a Storm 135 loaded at 1.4. I have noticed some directional instability after opening while the brakes are still set. Once the brakes are released it's fine. Flare is fine.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I notice similar characteristics. It opens great on heading, but then it is very sensitive to harness inputs while the brakes are still set. This is noticeable when I am unzipping my leg wing, so I have to really focus on staying symmetrical while doing this, or immediately unstow my brakes. I've talked to 2 other Storm owners and they have experienced similar characteristics as it turns soon after opening.

It was not uncommon for my two Storm 120's to smack open and and dive 180 when they were new, but now both have over 500 jumps on them and they are excellent: straight, medium-positive openings on terminal jumps and straight slow openings in any of my wingsuits.

FWIW: I jump a Xaos 27 80 square foot main in one of my sport rigs and a Sabre2 97 in my personal, dedicated WS rig. My Storms are in my two work rigs.