1 1
JoeWeber

Biden is blowing it.

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

And if you are feeling down, finding someone to belittle/mock can make some people feel better about themselves.

'Cause everybody's gotta have somebody to look down on
Who they can feel better than at any time they please
Someone doin' somethin' dirty decent folks can frown on
If you can't find nobody else, then help yourself to me

-- The Philosopher Kristofferson

Just now, billvon said:

And if you are feeling down, finding someone to belittle/mock can make some people feel better about themselves.

In truth, SC is becoming more like training day than an interactive forum of exchanged ideas. To wit, the unfortunate exception of Winsor noted, it is becoming very boring. No surprise that our our most erudite poster is becoming more distant. So the prayer wheel spins.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, billvon said:

the right wing really has no other agenda other than "fuck you."

Fuck Joe Biden.

Well even democrats say that, lmao.  Most recent poll shows that 67% don't want him running in 2024.   Apparently  many here are too preoccupied with "hate watching" FOX news to see that liberal media shares a similar sentiment.

Fuck immigrants.

Guess you forgot that it was Obama who built those "Trump cages" that you always cried about, and said that an open border is unsustainable.  That it would give the wrong impression and put children's lives at risk.

Fuck Disney!  Cancel them!

48% of Democrats said they were less likely to use Disney products.

59% of Democrats said they would support a family-friendly alternative to Disney.

The change of heart was in response to a comment made by Latoya Raveneau, an executive producer for Disney :
“Our leadership over there has been so welcoming to my, like, not-at-all-secret gay agenda, I was just, wherever I could, just basically adding queerness.  No one would stop me and no one was trying to stop me.”

And recently, liberals also called for a boycott of Disney's Avatar for being a racist white savior film.

Fuck climate change.

76% of republicans are in favor of the government taking steps to reduce carbon and methane emissions.  82% for republicans between the ages of 18-54.

84% of republicans between the ages of 18-54 agree that we should accelerate the growth of clean energy so that our state can be a national leader in competition for economic development and good-paying jobs.

Fuck vaccines

The majority of republicans in practically every demographic have been vaccinated.  60% of all republicans and 80% of republicans aged 65+ received the vaccine, and that was a poll from almost 2 years ago.  The lowest demographics were the uninsured and those between the ages of 18-29.

Fuck science, evolution

Ya,  back in 70s  about  72% of Republicans had confidence in Science while only 67% of Democrats had confidence.

Now, 79% of Democrats have confidence and anywhere from 45%-63% for Republicans depending on the level of confidence. (High to moderate confidence)

That's  likely due to wannabe scientists parroting or misrepresenting something they heard online about evolution and confusing it with abiogenesis/cosmology and then weaponizing their ignorance against Christianity.  

There were also conflicting statements about the efficacy and need for masks at the start of the pandemic, along with confusion about adverse effects and the potential for vaccinated individuals to transmit the virus.

Exaggerated statements from alarmists about climate change probably didn't help either.

10 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Fuck trans people

No thanks.

Fuck being woke

I believe that this is mostly directed at people who participate in performative activism without thoughtful consideration, using self-righteous nagging to gain a political advantage and destroy the livelihood of others over petty offenses without due process. 

You could probably lump in environmental terrorists (ex. train derailment wokees) and hyperbolic climate alarmists who use exaggerated claims as a means of persuasion.

Most are preoccupied with trying to save the world without trying to understand it first.

Fuck women's rights

Yep, all those misogynistic women at those pro-life rally's, eh?

See, it's not so hard to address various types of gish-gallops.  Now you try:

"The left wing really has no other agenda other than "fuck you."
Fuck The Police
Fuck Peaceful Protest
Fuck Christians (lock them in their churches and leave them for dead)
Fuck White People   
Fuck Family Values
Fuck the right to life
Fuck Fetuses (no different than a clump of cancer cells)
Fuck Personal responsibility
Fuck Nuclear Power
Fuck the free world/market
Fuck Avatar (Boycott That Racist White Savior Film!)
Fuck Capitalism
Fuck Homeland Security
Fuck A Secure Border
Fuck banning drugs and prostitution
Fuck the Clevland Indians
Fuck Aunt Jemima
Fuck FOX News  (can't stop "hate watching" it)"

I have the feeling that I might've missed a few. . .

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

That's  likely due to wannabe scientists parroting or misrepresenting something they heard online about evolution and confusing it with abiogenesis/cosmology and then weaponizing their ignorance against Christianity.  

Lol, blaming democrats for pig-ignorant creationist fucktards is a new one for me :rofl:

• Like 2

So President Biden is in Kiev today. Giving support to Ukraine.

Had trump stolen the election. trump would have been visiting Kiev today. Giving support to the Putin puppet government. Then likely flying on to Moscow to congratulate his bum buddy. For some more ass kissing.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:38 PM, JoeWeber said:

In truth, SC is becoming more like training day than an interactive forum of exchanged ideas. To wit, the unfortunate exception of Winsor noted, it is becoming very boring. No surprise that our our most erudite poster is becoming more distant. So the prayer wheel spins.

Clearly, jakee hasn't been around enough to poke, prod and keep you in line.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

So President Biden is in Kiev today. Giving support to Ukraine.

Had trump stolen the election. trump would have been visiting Kiev today. Giving support to the Putin puppet government. Then likely flying on to Moscow to congratulate his bum buddy. For some more ass kissing.

Clearly, jakee hasn't been around enough to poke, prod and keep you in line.

I read he took a 10 hour train ride with a small security detail, medical team and no air cover. Best, if true, they notified Moscow in advance he was going. That’s some serious beat down. That’s saying that if anything happens we’ll call it an intentional attempt on Biden and you really don’t want us thinking that. Have a borscht day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Best, if true, they notified Moscow in advance he was going. That’s some serious beat down. That’s saying that if anything happens we’ll call it an intentional attempt on Biden and you really don’t want us thinking that.

Seems like by far the most sensible thing to do. If you don’t tell them, there’s a small but real chance of getting caught in a random strike. If you do tell them, they’ll put a massive exclusion zone around him for any missile, drone, saboteur, and whatever the hell else they’re doing activity. The last thing Russia wants is a reason for western forces to get directly involved.

• Like 2

Gotta say Biden has been sort of kicking butt lately.

First he gets the IRA passed, a landmark bill to reduce the deficit and prioritize US research and development.  Even republicans who opposed it start lining up for funding from that bill.

Then he gives a State of the Union address where he spars with republicans - and wins, getting them to applaud the idea of not cutting social security of medicare.  And he was bipartisan enough to get GOP applause at several other parts of his address.

Next he goes to an active war zone to meet with Zelensky, thus taking the wind out of Putin's sails a few days before a critical address of his own.  With success in Ukraine looking less and less likely there will be more pressure on Putin to engineer a strategic withdrawal that still allows him to claim he won something.

Good to see he's finally decided to get to work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billvon said:

Gotta say Biden has been sort of kicking butt lately....

Pfffffft republicans are responding.

The Biden laptop investigation will start soon.

MTG has called for a "national divorce" of republican and democrat states. She hasn't laid out a plan on how to account for the huge subsidies GOP states receive from Dem states.

Fox News host Tucker Carlson just received all the governments video footage of the January 6th insurrection from Kevin McCarthy. Expect something newsworthy soon from FOX. Or from RTV.

"Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) said in a new interview that he did not think people would find out about his resume fabrications because he “got away with” the same falsehoods during his unsuccessful campaign for Congress in 2020"

For the White christian evangelical GOP base. A new book lays it all out. "Preparing For War: The Extremist History of White Christian Nationalism--and What Comes Next." How GOP christian evangelical nationalists are preparing for war and the coming apocalypse in America.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Gotta say Biden has been sort of kicking butt lately.

First he gets the IRA passed, a landmark bill to reduce the deficit and prioritize US research and development.  Even republicans who opposed it start lining up for funding from that bill.

Then he gives a State of the Union address where he spars with republicans - and wins, getting them to applaud the idea of not cutting social security of medicare.  And he was bipartisan enough to get GOP applause at several other parts of his address.

Next he goes to an active war zone to meet with Zelensky, thus taking the wind out of Putin's sails a few days before a critical address of his own.  With success in Ukraine looking less and less likely there will be more pressure on Putin to engineer a strategic withdrawal that still allows him to claim he won something.

Totally. No more Brandon, now it’s got to be Mo-Jo Joe.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

With success in Ukraine looking less and less likely there will be more pressure on Putin to engineer a strategic withdrawal that still allows him to claim he won something.

Putin could just borrow Nixon's "Peace with Honor" speech for pulling out of Vietnam.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Putin could just borrow Nixon's "Peace with Honor" speech for pulling out of Vietnam.

Except Nixon wasn’t pulling out of Alabama. I reiterate that our current strategy is spot on. Yes, it’s tough on Ukrainians but it’s not Maryland on Russias border. Contain the scope and boil the Russian frog until internally the pain is so great that the strongman’s power is at risk. I think, and I’m just some yo, that Putin will choose being leader of a weakened Russia over being no leader at all. He’ll still control the media in what is essentially a third world country outside of Moscow and Saint Petersburg. Milton’s observation rules.

17 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Except Nixon wasn’t pulling out of Alabama. I reiterate that our current strategy is spot on. Yes, it’s tough on Ukrainians but it’s not Maryland on Russias border.

Hmmm...But do you think Biden might entertain the idea of pulling the US out of Texas or Florida?

51 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Contain the scope and boil the Russian frog until internally the pain is so great that the strongman’s power is at risk. I think, and I’m just some yo, that Putin will choose being leader of a weakened Russia over being no leader at all. 

Agreed.  I think the most likely outcome is some sort of announcement of a Russian victory over the Nazis, pedophiles and people who leave the toilet seat up, where Putin retains some small portion of Ukraine but retreats from the rest of it.  Putin can then announce that the war is over and he won, and can use that claim to retain power.

10 hours ago, billvon said:

Agreed.  I think the most likely outcome is some sort of announcement of a Russian victory over the Nazis, pedophiles and people who leave the toilet seat up, where Putin retains some small portion of Ukraine but retreats from the rest of it.  Putin can then announce that the war is over and he won, and can use that claim to retain power.

The problem with that scenario is that the Ukrainians aren't going to let him keep some 'small portion of Ukraine'.
They want pre-2014 borders. You know, the ones Russia agreed to.

And they are going to be able to make that happen.

Putler put together what little assets he had and tried to have ANY sort of 'victory' for the anniversary of the invasion. 
What he ended up with is a few thousand more dead and the destruction of a whole lot more Russian armor.
The Vuledar offensive was a debacle. Bahkmut is still held by the Ukranians (and Russia has been trying to take that since August).

There's a recent report from the UK that well over 90% of the Russian army is in Ukraine. And barely holding on. 
Putler is trying to enslave a bunch more people to send to their deaths at the front, but anyone who can has fled. Those who can't flee are hiding.
The 'professional' Russian army is done. What's left is old men and people too stupid to run or hide from the draft.

OTOH, Ukraine is ascendant. Modern tanks are on the way. The crews and maintenance people are being trained. There's a ton of pressure on the West to provide fighter jets. Those will likely be approved in the next couple months. While getting F-16s & F-15s operational in Ukraine is a big job, getting Polish Migs up and running would be a lot simpler and faster.

The only real question is what will happen to Putler.

He's done a really good job consolidating power. He has a much stronger grip than I thought a year ago. He has NO check on his power. Nobody can oppose or even disagree with him. Anyone who starts to look like they could be a potential rival gets either taken down a peg or two or tossed out a window.
So there really isn't anyone in a position to overthrow him. 

Not unlike Iraq, if he was removed, there isn't anyone who could take his place. It would be chaos. In a country that has nukes. There's a decent argument that the nukes likely aren't functional any more, but it's not certain.
As an aside, thermo-nuclear bombs rely on Tritium for the second stage to go. That has a fairly short half-life and is at or near the top of the list of 'most expensive things in the world'. 
Does anyone really believe that someone in Russia didn't steal that tritium?

But he can't lose the war and still hold much authority over the country. 
As with any mafia clan, losing a conflict or appearing weak is deadly.

It's a fascinating dilema. 

It's going to be an interesting spring & summer.

39 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

There's a decent argument that the nukes likely aren't functional any more, but it's not certain.

As an aside, thermo-nuclear bombs rely on Tritium for the second stage to go. That has a fairly short half-life and is at or near the top of the list of 'most expensive things in the world'. 
Does anyone really believe that someone in Russia didn't steal that tritium?

I expect by now, if you were to open up any Russian nuclear warhead, it would be empty except for a certificate entitling the holder to one share of stock in M&M Enterprises.

Edited by ryoder
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The problem with that scenario is that the Ukrainians aren't going to let him keep some 'small portion of Ukraine'.

I think if the deal was that Russia gets 20 square miles in a separatist area and they pull out everything else, along with some other concessions (no military in that area or within 50 miles of the Ukranian border for example) Ukraine would go for it.  This war has been brutal to them as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

I expect by now, if you were to open up any Russian nuclear warhead, it would be empty except for a certificate entitling the holder to one share of stock in M&M Enterprises.

Hi Robert,

So, if you do not have anything to play the game with, do you then go home:  Putin says Russia will stop participating in its last nuclear treaty with the U.S.

Russia suspends only remaining major nuclear treaty with US | The Hill

Jerry Baumchen

19 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Robert,

So, if you do not have anything to play the game with, do you then go home:  Putin says Russia will stop participating in its last nuclear treaty with the U.S.

Russia suspends only remaining major nuclear treaty with US | The Hill

Jerry Baumchen

Given what we've seen about the lack of a true threatening, viable, power military so far, is anyone surprised their ICBM test attempt during Biden's visit failed too?

Are they REALLY a nuclear threat?

I wonder the Draft Kings odds on that one....

43 minutes ago, normiss said:

Given what we've seen about the lack of a true threatening, viable, power military so far, is anyone surprised their ICBM test attempt during Biden's visit failed too?

This.  Anyone else notice that our military "threats" have been over stated in the last few years?  Not saying he isn't a threat but the military power obviously isn't there.

17 minutes ago, airdvr said:

This.  Anyone else notice that our military "threats" have been over stated in the last few years?  Not saying he isn't a threat but the military power obviously isn't there.

I, for one, haven't cared a whit about Russia's Army attacking NATO for a while; it's long been an open secret that corruption in the Russian kleptocracy included their Armed Forces with money being siphoned off instead of invested. I'm also not calmed by a failed Russian ICBM launch anymore than a North Korean failure. Russia has thousands of warheads and, just like their infantry, they won't care if only half make it through. All said and done, while the war in Ukraine seems to be going as well as can be hoped for it's plain folly to think that Putin is the only Russian madman with a finger on a button.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, normiss said:

Probably not.

43 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Ah! the US military industrial complex and its political connections.

17 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I, for one, haven't cared a whit about Russia's Army attacking NATO for a while; it's long been an open secret that corruption in the Russian kleptocracy included their Armed Forces with money being siphoned off instead of invested. I'm also not calmed by a failed Russian ICBM launch anymore than a North Korean failure. Russia has thousands of warheads and, just like their infantry, they won't care if only half make it through. All said and done, while the war in Ukraine seems to be going as well as can be hoped for it's plain folly to think that Putin is the only Russian madman with a finger on a button.

Mostly agree. Russia is not likely to flip over to an open democracy after Putin is gone. Just as China is not going to go democratic after Xi dies.

IMO the western NATO countries closest to Russia have the best feeling for Russian warmongering. From Latvia to Poland defense budgets are on the increase. From Finnish, Swedish and  Germany appeasement of Russia is over. All knowing that the Russian military is a paper tiger. Soon Putin will be resurrecting the gate guardian T-34 tanks for service.

But as long as sociopaths in Russia can use a subservient media. As long as Russia is a kleptocracy led by gangsters. It can jail opponents, draft more fodder and start more wars. If it decided that Belarus is full of previously undiscovered Nazis Would anyone stop it?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

...If it decided that Belarus is full of previously undiscovered Nazis Would anyone stop it?

Well, right now if Russia decided to attack Belarus, they couldn't.

Over 90% of their army is in Ukraine. 
Anything they would want to pull out of Ukraine to attack Belarus is desperately needed to hold back Ukrainian counter-attacks. 

And even if the Russians could spare any forces from Ukraine to attack Belarus, the Belarussian army may have something to say about that. 

The whole world has come to the realization of how incompetent and impotent Russia is. 

• Like 1