1 1
JoeWeber

Biden is blowing it.

59 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Normally you hate the ivory tower academics, but I am not surprised you prefer that over a woman of colour.

I'd say "over any liberal." After all, I seem to recall he liked Candace Owens.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 8:07 AM, jakee said:

...Viktor Orban is what their policies look like in the real world.

Don't confuse him. People outside the US are blank slates for republicans. Just list Orban's policies in order to solicit his approving nod.

On 7/23/2022 at 5:51 PM, brenthutch said:

Tim Scott, Rick Scott. (Not Adam Smith and Robert Burns)

Of course DeSantis, Haley, Cruze, Cotton, Sasse and Hawley would all be on the short list

Still like Rick Scott? If so please give your usual detailed explanation of why.

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Still like Rick Scott? If so please give your usual detailed explanation of why.

He has the balls to point out the obvious, Social Security and Medicaid are going broke and reform is needed. Unfortunately good economics is bad politics. That said I would take him over Kamala Harris eight days a week.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

He has the balls to point out the obvious, Social Security and Medicaid are going broke and reform is needed. Unfortunately good economics is bad politics. That said I would take him over Kamala Harris eight days a week.

Of course you think some weeks have eight days. Given your prescience, how would you provide for seniors when the numbers of young workers are in decline and 401K's can drop by half overnight?

19 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Of course you think some weeks have eight days. Given your prescience, how would you provide for seniors when the numbers of young workers are in decline and 401K's can drop by half overnight?

I believe the answer to that is “they should plan better and be born to families with enough resources that they have options, or be smart/gritty enough by nature to bill their way through.”

Of course, the logical extension of bulling your way through can be bullying…

Wendy P. 

33 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

The declining number of young workers is exactly why we need entitlement reform.  BTW, a 401k or Roth IRA that has been halved will still give a better ROI than Social Security.

Edited by brenthutch

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The declining number of young workers is exactly why we need entitlement reform.  BTW, a 401k or Roth IRA that has been halved will still give a better ROI than Social Security.

That's only even possibly true if you have one to be halved. Maybe you think a gun toting, dog eat dog, world is nirvana. Inarguably it's the natural order in most of the animal kingdom. The exception being a single species that saw that making concessions and working together for mutual success could reap huge rewards. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I guess as long as you get yours you are fine with the younger generation getting screwed.

That's a ridiculous accusation, and you know it. Given that you must have an economics degree, too, please lay out the fool proof plan you've developed that will assure that every retiree will have a sufficient, self funded, retirement plan to protect them in old age and how those who fumble their savings away won't need the successful retirees to save them. Or, and this I suspect, your plan is to spout at them a simple fuck you for your bad luck and have a nice time living under the overpass.

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

That's a ridiculous accusation, and you know it. Given that you must have an economics degree, too, please lay out the fool proof plan you've developed that will assure that every retiree will have a sufficient, self funded, retirement plan to protect them in old age and how those who fumble their savings away won't need the successful retirees to save them. Or, and this I suspect, your plan is to spout at them a simple fuck you for your bad luck and have a nice time living under the overpass.

The younger generation doesn’t have to be screwed at all. The United States is seriously underpopulated and lots of people want to move there. Of course  some people might not like the colour of most of them. But solving the demographics problem is easy if you want to.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

.. But solving the demographics problem is easy if you want to.

US politicians have been working on that problem for 50 years and not come close.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I guess as long as you get yours you are fine with the younger generation getting screwed.

Of course its ridiculous. Unfounded counter accusations are standard GOP debating methods.They invented whataboutism.

Brent has a MBA, not an economics degree. Unless FOX-U has given him one.

The support staff for his retirement village. Commuting from under the underpass is right up Ron DeSantis's line of thinking. Don't give them election talking points.

4 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

The support staff for his retirement village. Commuting from under the underpass is right up Ron DeSantis's line of thinking. Don't give them election talking points.

Plus there’s the added bonus that those underpass dwellers won’t have the right kind of identification cards to be able to vote.

Or, and this I suspect, your plan is to spout at them a simple fuck you for your bad luck and have a nice time living under the overpass.

Of course.  Brent's particular pocket of the right wing really has no other agenda other than "fuck you."

Fuck Joe Biden.
Fuck immigrants.
Fuck Disney!  Cancel them!
Fuck climate change.
Fuck vaccines, science, evolution, trans people, being woke, renewable energy, Whoopi Goldberg, CNN and women's rights.

They take this approach because it works with a large percentage of conservatives.  Many are never happier than when they can say "fuck you!" to someone who they think might be smarter/more successful/more aware than they are.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Of course its ridiculous. Unfounded counter accusations are standard GOP debating methods.They invented whataboutism.

Trump's debating style is called  "Gish Galloping" (look it up).  It consists of making as many incoherent, unconnected, untrue and unprovable statements as possible in the time available (and more) knowing that any reasoned rebuttal is impossible.

It is apparent that he spouts rubbish when you read a transcript, but his base is most unlikely to do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kallend said:

Trump's debating style is called  "Gish Galloping" (look it up).  It consists of making as many incoherent, unconnected, untrue and unprovable statements as possible in the time available (and more) knowing that any reasoned rebuttal is impossible.

It is apparent that he spouts rubbish when you read a transcript, but his base is most unlikely to do that.

spacer.png

Thank you professor, Now I understand Brent!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kallend said:

Hi John,

That reminds me of when Trump & Pence were first on 60 MINUTES.  They were sitting side by side &, I think, it was Leslie Stahl who was trying to interview them.

She would ask Trump a number of questions & he would answer.

She then would ask Pence a question & Trump would interrupt & answer for Pence.

At the time I thought of Edgar Bergen & Charlie McCarthy.

Jerry Baumchen

6 hours ago, billvon said:

Of course.  Brent's particular pocket of the right wing really has no other agenda other than "fuck you."

Fuck Joe Biden.
Fuck immigrants.
Fuck Disney!  Cancel them!
Fuck climate change.
Fuck vaccines, science, evolution, trans people, being woke, renewable energy, Whoopi Goldberg, CNN and women's rights.

They take this approach because it works with a large percentage of conservatives.  Many are never happier than when they can say "fuck you!" to someone who they think might be smarter/more successful/more aware than they are.

That is exactly why Trump was so successful

He said "fuck you" to EVERYONE. and got away with it.

All of his followers wanted to be able to do that. 
Many of them have gone on and done that.

Some are going to prison for it.

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

That is exactly why Trump was so successful

He said "fuck you" to EVERYONE. and got away with it.

All of his followers wanted to be able to do that. 
Many of them have gone on and done that.

Some are going to prison for it.

Hey, you know where you stand if you know who’s inferior…

Wendy P.