1 1
JoeWeber

Biden is blowing it.

34 minutes ago, billvon said:

Pete Buttigieg would be perfect for this except for that one 'flaw' that republicans - and even centrist bigots - will never accept about him.

(Talking about his impossible to pronounce last name of course.)

There's that, but there's also that frankly he hasn't been high-profile enough in his current job. If he were to get one or two of the red states to really be anxious to get the infrastructure money, that would be an excellent start.

Wendy P.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Not in the Constitution, so not an essential function of the federal government.  In fact, from the conservative "kill the fed" perspective, handing this function off to the states makes the most sense.  Texas doesn't like it?  Texas can build a wall.

Right - but only 55% of them are due to illegal (i.e. non-prescription) fentanyl, rather than legal fentanyl sources that are abused by patients/doctors/pharmacists.   And an even smaller percentage of that is from drugs coming across the border vs illegally made in the US.

So let's go with the 55% number to be conservative.  That means that there are 38,000 US deaths a year due to illegal cross-border fentanyl.

Let's compare that to gun deaths - 45,000 in 2021.  And we all know what the story is there - nothing can be done, thoughts and prayers.

So nothing can be done about cross-border fentanyl either, thoughts and prayers.  At least it's not as bad as gun deaths.

We know exactly what the outcome of illegal immigration in North America is - the United States of America.

I respect your opinion, even when we differ. In this case I appreciate the accurate stats.

Seems that we'll disagree on border security. Agree, it's not in the Constitution. But from a practicality standpoint it makes no sense for the border states to have that role. It sure is nice that the "port of entry" for US folks returning through the Vancouver airport is in the departing airport. I do think that smaller government is better - meaning that there are things they should stay out of. One specific reason is that the feds have no clue how to be efficient or effective with money. I worked directly with the feds for 25 years, the waste was unbelievable. I actually lost a bid because my price was too low so, according to their reasoning, "there was no way we could do the job correctly." I learned to bid higher and just give them a bunch of stuff for free. Crazy.

The DHS budget is about $60 billion with Border Patrol getting $5, expected to increase to $5.4. That's some serious money. US Border Patrol in Charleston was one of my customers and the spending/waste was evident.  They have a training center there and do the port security. Of course, only part of the $5.4 is spent at the southern border, and there's inflation, etc. It makes no sense for individual states to perform that function.

The gun data is somewhat off. The data I've seen shows: 2021 - 40,200 deaths, suicide (62%) - 25,000, remove mishandling, and self defense and you have 14,200 murders. 90% of those are with pistols in urban areas and/or gang related. That leaves 1,400 with rifles and a smaller number are "mass shootings." I've seen stats in the 400-600 range that meet that definition.

All gun deaths are bad. Some say that suicide will occur regardless of the method, not sure I agree with that. It's not a good comparison to compare 38,000 to 40,200. It's also crazy to continue to focus solely on so called "assault" weapons as the problem. Especially when pistols are used in 90% of the non-suicide fatalities. And yes, there are options to manage that problem that don't infringe on the rights of legal gun owners. We discussed that before and I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

I'm with you.  Last time around he was in an Anybody But Trump scenario.

That will not work in two years.

Re:  he will need to inspire voters 

In 2008, a young, virtually unknown senator from Illinois did just that.  When I would listen to Obama speak, it reminded me of JFK in Berlin in the summer of '63.

When I listen to Biden speak, I am reminded of a very old man.  While I wish it were not true, age does take a toll.

Jerry Baumchen

Agreed. We need an orator with charisma. Gavin Newsom, maybe? Who else, #1 or #2?

• Like 1

Just now, GeorgiaDon said:

I like that he's bringing the fight directly to DeSantis.

What do all you California residents think of him as Governor?

I also love that he's sticking it to big Pharma over insulin. He survived a recall so he's not universally hated, I guess.

52 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Agreed. We need an orator with charisma. Gavin Newsom, maybe? Who else, #1 or #2?

Hi Joe,

Just this past week I was thinking he would be a very good candidate.  He has his detractors in his home state; but, who doesn't.

How about Pete G for the #2 slot?

Where do I send the donation check?

Jerry Baumchen

15 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Just this past week I was thinking he would be a very good candidate.  He has his detractors in his home state; but, who doesn't.

How about Pete G for the #2 slot?

Where do I send the donation check?

Jerry Baumchen

Pete is a top choice in a rational world. However this election, and maybe more to follow, we need to leave what is right behind and take what will work. The LGBTQ community is not well loved in many communities of color, which is baffling but there it is. That and I fear many christian women will recoil once in the voting booth. A centrist, straight white male ticket seems to me the best shot. Does that suck, or what?

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

40,200 deaths, suicide (62%) - 25,000, remove mishandling, and self defense and you have 14,200 murders. 

OK.  But to do that we'd also have to remove all the fentanyl deaths due to accidental overdose (to match up with your removal of mishandling gun deaths.)  Since few drug users want to die, that would leave very few deaths indeed.

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Don,

^^^^ THIS.  I am thinking that this is what Joe Weber was thinking in his OP.

Jerry Baumchen

Considering that enough Californians and businesses have fled to other states under Newsom that the state lost a Representative after the last census I personally wouldn't vote for him on a bet. He's only in office in CA because 75% of the state are registered Democrats. 

(edited)
51 minutes ago, jimjumper said:

Considering that enough Californians and businesses have fled to other states under Newsom that the state lost a Representative after the last census ...

California population is up 5.8% since the previous House re-allocation, vs 7.35% for the US as a whole.

51 minutes ago, jimjumper said:

He's only in office in CA because 75% of the state are registered Democrats. 

47% of registered voters in CA are registered as Democrats.   Newsom got reconfirmed (i.e., not recalled) by 61.9% of the vote.

Edited by headoverheels

1 hour ago, headoverheels said:

California population is up 5.8% since the previous House re-allocation, vs 7.35% for the US as a whole.

47% of registered voters in CA are registered as Democrats.   Newsom got reconfirmed (i.e., not recalled) by 61.9% of the vote.

California’s economy grew 7.8% in 2021, vs. 5.7% growth in US

California’s top economic rivals Florida was up 6.9% (No. 5) while Texas grew 5.6%

So less people are producing more. Must mean unproductive republicans are moving out so they can shoot guns and draw benefits.

1 hour ago, headoverheels said:

It’s not that Californians love Democrats. It’s that they really dislike Republicans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimjumper said:

Considering that enough Californians and businesses have fled to other states under Newsom that the state lost a Representative after the last census I personally wouldn't vote for him on a bet. He's only in office in CA because 75% of the state are registered Democrats. 

I'm glad you brought up those salient points because it's never too soon to read a well reasoned and carefully considered political opinion and say OK, thanks. 2024 will be another Not Trump (or not Trump facsimile) 2.0. We need to be willing to vote for whomever leads us away from this current right wing horror show. Unless, that is, you're a fan of such an outcome.

13 hours ago, billvon said:

OK.  But to do that we'd also have to remove all the fentanyl deaths due to accidental overdose (to match up with your removal of mishandling gun deaths.)  Since few drug users want to die, that would leave very few deaths indeed.

Good point. Just wanted to get the gun data straight. Bottom line is both are a big problem. Hopefully some of the recent proposed legislation on guns will be passed. Then how about the drug smuggling that comes with illegal immigration and other smuggling.

Just saw this in a Biden article with him reading the teleprompter about banning assault weapons. The poll research on this topic would be interesting.

"Suicides accounted for about 54 percent of all gun-related deaths in the United States in 2020, while 43 percent were murdered, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The other 3 percent were classified as gun-related deaths involving law enforcement, unintentional, or had undetermined circumstances.

In 2020, handguns were involved in 59 percent of all gun-involved murders, according to the FBI. Only 3 percent involved rifles, which includes firearms that are sometimes called “assault weapons,” and shotguns were involved in 1 percent of gun-related homicides. The other 36 percent involved other guns that were classified as “type not stated,” the data show."

My beef with the gun control yelling is some think that addressing "assault weapons" fixes the problem. Reality says otherwise. 

15 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Joe - Not sure Newsom or the party would want CA front and center. One thing I hate about politics is how deep they will go to dredge up the past, then twist and restate information. CA has many issues that the rest of the country is probably not interested in embracing. One would be fuel prices, another would be the AB5 and independent trucker issue. According to AAA the current US average is $4.66, CA average is $6.01.

Both parties will need to choose a candidate after the mid-terms. We'll see what happens. More interesting will be to see if the Reps can keep Trump away.

13 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

What does that have to do with ANYTHING?

Uhhh.....because many believe that he's mentally deficient. Oftentimes when he speaks freely he makes big mistakes. Most remember his 90-second rant where he said AR14 instead of AR15 and called semi-autos machine guns while insulting the auto union worker, "You're full of shit."

The State of the Union flub was terrible, "Putin may circle Kyiv with tanks but he'll never gain the hearts and souls of the Iranian people."

His writers have to be more careful now that they know he'll read everything on the teleprompter, "end of quote, repeat the line."  A March poll showed that, "Only 40 percent believe that Biden is mentally sharp enough for the job."
I get it, people make mistakes. At his level and with his frequency that excuse isn't acceptable.

7 minutes ago, billeisele said:

Uhhh.....because many believe that he's mentally deficient. Oftentimes when he speaks freely he makes big mistakes. Most remember his 90-second rant where he said AR14 instead of AR15 and called semi-autos machine guns while insulting the auto union worker, "You're full of shit."

The State of the Union flub was terrible, "Putin may circle Kyiv with tanks but he'll never gain the hearts and souls of the Iranian people."

His writers have to be more careful now that they know he'll read everything on the teleprompter, "end of quote, repeat the line."  A March poll showed that, "Only 40 percent believe that Biden is mentally sharp enough for the job."
I get it, people make mistakes. At his level and with his frequency that excuse isn't acceptable.

And yet he's orders of magnitude more coherent and accurate than his predecessor.

I'm not a biden fan. I'm somewhat bemused that despite holding Congress, Senate and the Presidency he still seems to be "losing". You are clearly however buying into the narrative from the right that has him simultaneously losing his marbles, but also masterminding some grand plan to kill fossil fuels, or tax the rich, or allow illegal immigration, or whatever Fox places in your head each evening.

...Then how about the drug smuggling that comes with illegal immigration and other smuggling...

Not sure where you get the idea that illegal immigrants and high value illegal drugs are smuggled in the same manner.

Most 'low volume' illegal drugs (heroin, fentanyl, cocaine) that come in by land come in hidden in vehicles. Crossing at standard border crossing points (that doesn't include the innovative and exotic stuff like drones, secret tunnels, ect).
While some illegals come in that way, most either come across legally and overstay or sneak across the border at unprotected places.

Well thats prima facie of mental deficiency. Just like this republican president this year.

3 hours ago, billeisele said:

Uhhh.....because many believe that he's mentally deficient.

covfefe

The State of the Union flub was terrible

Oh, he's not a great orator by any means.  He was merely the best choice last time.