1 1
JoeWeber

Biden is blowing it.

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

Any relation John?

Brits were already mentioned.  Can't you read? It was the USA omitted, and you forgot to mention the takeovers of Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the Philippines.

He was pathetically myopic. Grabbing more territory – with more natural resources, more population, and anything and everything physical in general – was important for Romans, Mongols, Brits, Spaniards, Turks, Chinese, Persians, and finally Russians, but in the distant past.

Edited by kallend

11 hours ago, kallend said:

Brits were already mentioned.  Can't you read? It was the USA omitted, and you forgot to mention the takeovers of Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the Philippines.

He was pathetically myopic. Grabbing more territory – with more natural resources, more population, and anything and everything physical in general – was important for Romans, Mongols, Brits, Spaniards, Turks, Chinese, Persians, and finally Russians, but in the distant past.

Fine, but in mentioning the U.S, I think there should've been more emphasis on the British Colonist.  And then with the western expansion throughout the 1800's, it was the descendants of those British Colonists along with other Western Europeans in their onslaught against the indigenous, as you claimed - along with slavery.

Yet Eastern Europeans who were fleeing imperialistic persecution themselves and didn't get here until like the 1920s are often lumped in with those bloody blokes and are somehow supposed to be ashamed simply for being white  for the sins of YOUR fathers - Because, you know, people from hundreds of years ago should've known better.

8 minutes ago, Coreece said:

those bloody blokes and are somehow supposed to be ashamed simply for being white  for the sins of YOUR fathers - Because, you know, people from hundreds of years ago should've known better.

This is simply the giant lie being told by the right to justify their reluctance to acknowledge the facts of the past. NO ONE and I repeat NO ONE wants white people to feel ashamed of what their ancestors did. The rest of us just want the story told so that the roots of the present day problems are understood. If you or anyone else wants to feel shame let it be for the things that are happening today. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Yet Eastern Europeans who were fleeing imperialistic persecution themselves and didn't get here until like the 1920s are often lumped in with those bloody blokes 

Yep.  "Those evil immigrants" is a common refrain of the right.  No details, please, they are just ignorant Eastern Germans/drunken Irish/criminal Italians/shiftless blacks/terrorist Muslims/MS13 Mexicans.

are somehow supposed to be ashamed simply for being white  for the sins of YOUR fathers

You're projecting here.

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

and are somehow supposed to be ashamed simply for being white  for the sins of YOUR fathers

Just curious - do you find it similarly outrageous how Christians are expected to accept guilt for a fictional fruit being eaten 6000 years ago by a person you never met, and responsibility for the crucifixion of some guy by Romans 2000 years ago?

Or is that totally different?

• Like 2

I’m a second generation American on one side, third on the other. No antecedents in the US before the Civil War, and they’re all Swedish, so their imperialistic conquering is a thousand years ago. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t benefitted from being white, and (when I was young at least) blond and reasonably good looking.

I feel no guilt for any of those things, but I do feel guilt when I behave as though I’ve earned those advantages. I’ve worked on some of them, but I know people who have worked as hard, and harder, and not gotten as far ahead. I’ve been hired because I was white (a waitress job — didn’t know it at the time), and denied work because I’m female.

The guilt is participating in a society that doesn’t, in fact, entirely grant equal opportunity. There is a window available for most people, but it’s really big for some folks, and really small for others. Acknowledging that, and acknowledging that things aren’t always perfect, doesn’t lessen what you’ve earned. Just a reminder to be grateful, and to share

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lippy said:

So your response to Billvon saying that only conservatives are talking about this is to post 3 videos from a conservative....well played sir, well played.

Maher's a "politically incorrect" comedian, writer, producer, actor, and television host. He describes himself as a progressive libertarian.  

But trying to score points by quoting clips of a comedian is pretty lame.

• Like 3

Maher tries not to be either; he skewers PC (which is normally considered to be a conservative trope), while also championing freedom of (and from) religion, as well as making fun of nearly everything political.

Maybe a good lesson in not automatically assigning beliefs or labels to someone based on a partial picture. I’d put him as someone who doesn’t use a party line to define himself, and would rather others not do so either  

Wendy P. 

14 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Maher tries not to be either; he skewers PC (which is normally considered to be a conservative trope), while also championing freedom of (and from) religion, as well as making fun of nearly everything political.

He also sounds right-wing when talking about the pandemic response.

But other than that, he is definitely not a part of the group who self-applies the "conservative" label.

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Huh? Maher as a conservative?

I'm not too familiar with him, but when I clicked Coreece's first link and watched the first 2 minutes it struck me as it could have been a monologue out of Gutfeld, if Gutfeld had any kind of comedic presentation skills.

• Like 1