1 1
JoeWeber

Biden is blowing it.

10 minutes ago, billvon said:

covfefe

Oh, he's not a great orator by any means.  He was merely the best choice last time.

It offers scant little hope to remember that those points have been offered up on these pages on what is nearly as regular a basis as the train schedule. And from what I can tell the points simply go in one ear, then straight out the other while, apparently, picking up considerable speed in the process. Bills a smart guy, so are others here, but even repetition has no impact. The conversation is continually dragged down with irrelevancies while the real conversation about how we finish the job of finishing Trumpism while we still have some semblance of a democracy limping along goes unaddressed. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wmw999 said:

There's that, but there's also that frankly he hasn't been high-profile enough in his current job. If he were to get one or two of the red states to really be anxious to get the infrastructure money, that would be an excellent start.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

I suppose in a really wide horizon look, that may be true.  However, Pete G really shined back in 2020 during the Dem's debates when there was about 11-13 of them up there.  IMO he answered every question asked [ and quite well ], he never got flustered, he showed me that he is up to the task of POTUS.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

I suppose in a really wide horizon look, that may be true.  However, Pete G really shined back in 2020 during the Dem's debates when there was about 11-13 of them up there.  IMO he answered every question asked [ and quite well ], he never got flustered, he showed me that he is up to the task of POTUS.

Jerry Baumchen

Don't get me wrong, I thing Pete would be great. I just do not trust most voters.

26 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Wendy,

Jerry Baumchen

He needs to shine now, not 2-4 years ago. I think he has the chops, although he, too, is light on experience (which he's addressing).

Wendy P.

20 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Please flesh out the list of Reps making any sort of tangible effort to keep Trump away, I count two. 

I'm not aware of any overt action to keep him away.

But....much like I suspect is happening on the Dem side with Biden, I'm holding out the hope that there are many Reps that realize Trump 2.0 would not be good. I have no clue "how the soup is made" in the political gamesmanship of the DNC or RNC.

With people's willingness to forget and forgive, and the concept of "recency bias", it does make me wonder what would happen if Trump did something outstanding then came out and stopped most of his negative behaviors. In the last election some think that if he had stopped demeaning people and, in general, shut up, he would have been reelected. I doubt he's capable of doing that. We'll see.

18 minutes ago, airdvr said:

If you don't get a handle on the economy I fear you'll pave the way for Trump 2.0.

Price of oil falling like a rock. Interest rates climbing to tackle inflation. Buyers walking away from new home purchases. All to cut inflation

Back on track.

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

I'm not aware of any overt action to keep him away.

But....much like I suspect is happening on the Dem side with Biden, I'm holding out the hope that there are many Reps that realize Trump 2.0 would not be good. I have no clue "how the soup is made" in the political gamesmanship of the DNC or RNC.

With people's willingness to forget and forgive, and the concept of "recency bias", it does make me wonder what would happen if Trump did something outstanding then came out and stopped most of his negative behaviors. In the last election some think that if he had stopped demeaning people and, in general, shut up, he would have been reelected. I doubt he's capable of doing that. We'll see.

It must be an easy life being a totally disinterested observer. I guess we'll see if some people are able to make soup out of his negative behaviors, but who knows?.

Hi folks,

The Dipping of the Toes in the Water begins:  If 79-year-old Joe Biden drops dead or drops out, how prepared will I be to run for president?

Opinion | Newsom, Harris, Buttigieg and the Democrats Definitely Not Challenging Joe Biden - POLITICO

Open the floodgates, they are coming.  And, I'm glad of it.

Jerry Baumchen

10 hours ago, billeisele said:

While I respect your optimism, no, he's not. When he was elected I (and others, I'm sure) took a breath and figured I'd wait and see how he did once he was actually in there and doing the job.

He's shown us all along exactly who he is, he will never change. He is a man solely invested in what he can get from others to satisfy whatever need he has, in that moment.

Biden is weak, but so was Trump. Only one of them was actively looking out for their personal interests in running the country.

(edited)
32 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Trump seems to be somewhat vigorous for a man his age. Biden seems pretty week and feeble. It is not a good look. Fairness has little to do with it.  

A Biden day v a trump/dump day

Here’s Everything We Know About the Bikes Joe and Jill Biden Were Riding

Donald Trump thinks exercise will kill you

trump, about 50lbs overweight. Biden appropriate weight. trump fueled by Big Macs, Egg McMuffins,  Biden"s Italian salad, tuna salad, club sandwich.

spacer.png

trump recently “You always have to talk about health. You look like you’re in good health, but tomorrow, you get a letter from a doctor saying, ‘Come see me again,’” he told The Post. “That’s not good when they use the word ‘again.’”

Donald Trump's 2019 Walter Reed Trip Was For Colonoscopy At the time, the White House said Trump was at Walter Reed only for "a quick exam and labs" in order to get started on his annual physical, with Grisham herself dismissing what she called "conspiracy theories" about the hospital trip. A year later, however, New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt's book Donald Trump v. The United States reported that Trump's visit to Walter Reed came with serious implications: "In the hours leading up to Trump's trip to the hospital, word went out in the West Wing for the vice president to be on standby to take over the powers of the presidency temporarily if Trump had to undergo a procedure that would have required him to be anesthetized." As Grisham writes in her book now, Trump opted not to go under anesthesia for the procedure, because he did not want Pence to take over the country, if only briefly. (Chamlee, 10/7)

My money would be on the cyclist over the Big Mac.

Edited by Phil1111

37 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Trump seems to be somewhat vigorous for a man his age. Biden seems pretty week and feeble. It is not a good look. Fairness has little to do with it.  

Trump is weak to the core, in his essence as a person. Biden is weak because he's old as hell and showing it.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2022 at 9:34 PM, JoeWeber said:

The Roe decision was leaked two months ago. A weak kneed executive order after the decision is published isn't leadership. A hell of a lot more screaming and hollering could happen after any of the near daily gun massacres. He could with a command be on TV decrying oil company price gouging, food producer price gouging, health care price gouging, you name your flavor du jour it doesn't matter the idea is to get out there displaying leadership. He isn't doing it. Yes he's doing a lot of good elsewhere and yes he saved us from Trump 2.0. But he's not measuring up now and now it's time to look ahead to who we want to run in 2024. 

Joe certainly is NOT the best president we have had... however is still head and shoulders above the seditious conspiracy from the other option (at this point).  But the entire system is exposed here as failing.

We have 'pile of shit 1' over here OR 'pile of shit 2' over here to choose from.  Seditious conspiracy/fascism OR the inability to get anything done.  The only people that can fundamentally change the system from a two party system is the two parties.  And they have no interest in doing that.  Haning onto power is the priority and getting anything done is secondary.

Personally, I will take the do-nothing president over the dictator wannabee mostly because I understand the causes of inflation and I don't vote based on the price of gasoline. Yeah it's bad, but fascism is worse.  It's not Joe's fault but it is now his responsibility.  And they cannot get even the simplest things done.  

Looking forward to the civil war so we can get around to killing them all and restoring the actual democracy that was planned in the first place.  I might even vote right wing bat shit crazy in order for that to happen even faster.  The sooner we tear off the Band-Aid, the better

Yes I still think we can save the republic, but it looks pretty grim right now.  at least I can leave back to Canada if I need to.  At least I have options.  All you Americans are fucked.  You are stuck here in this farce of a shit-show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tkhayes said:

Yes I still think we can save the republic, but it looks pretty grim right now.  at least I can leave back to Canada if I need to.  At least I have options.  All you Americans are fucked.

Hopefully Trump is not the agent of change that ends The Great Experiment. Somehow I doubt it.

2 hours ago, tkhayes said:

Looking forward to the civil war so we can get around to killing them all and restoring the actual democracy that was planned in the first place.  I might even vote right wing bat shit crazy in order for that to happen even faster.  The sooner we tear off the Band-Aid, the better

I'll put that down to cocktail hour posting. TK, we on the left here are largely in agreement that Biden is basically like a condom: totally necessary for the job at hand but best discarded after a single use.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2022 at 1:10 PM, billeisele said:

Why wonder about something that would never happen? Like asking someone living next to a volcano what they’d do if it started erupting powdered sugar instead. Who cares? Let’s just live in reality and deal with the fact that the volcano is still dangerous.

By the way, the question reminds me of Ivanka deflecting criticism of Trump’s outright nepotism and grift in giving her a seat at the table in international conferences. She said ‘if it was Chelsea Clinton here you wouldn’t be complaining’. Again, the point is that Chelsea Clinton would never have been there, just like Trump will never suddenly become a respectful, diligent and professional statesman.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Trump seems to be somewhat vigorous for a man his age.

I recall him being unable to make it down a short ramp on his own, and needing two hands to pick up a water glass.

It may well be that Trump is better at hiding his infirmities much of the time.

4 minutes ago, billvon said:

It may well be that Trump is better at hiding his infirmities much of the time.

Yes, that is absolutely true. Trump is also too old for the job, and proven incompetent in other ways as well. Biden shows clear signs of his age catching up with him. Jobs requiring mental acuity often have mandatory retirement ages. Commercial pilots at 60 or 65. Biden will be 82 years old in 2022 and even further along the path of decline. POTUS is a high stress and very important job. He would be fine as a Senator, they don't get woken in the middle of the night to deal with a crisis. As Hilary pointed out with Trump.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, billvon said:

Fentanyl (and the generic class of synthetic opioids and precursor chemicals) are primarily produced in China and smuggled to and in through Mexico. The death rate from these drugs has increased from about zero in 2014 to ~70,000 in 2021. 

Right - but only 55% of them are due to illegal (i.e. non-prescription) fentanyl, rather than legal fentanyl sources that are abused by patients/doctors/pharmacists.   And an even smaller percentage of that is from drugs coming across the border vs illegally made in the US.

So let's go with the 55% number to be conservative.  That means that there are 38,000 US deaths a year due to illegal cross-border fentanyl.

Let's compare that to gun deaths - 45,000 in 2021. 

Lmao, "but but with critical thinking, if you take the total amount of fentanyl deaths minus a dosey doe, multiply it by patients/doctors/pharamacists, divided by 3.14159265359 and multivided by the square root of the border vs the U.S, we see it's not really THAT bad.

Compare that to the SHEER number of TOTAL Gun Deaths!"

. . .and just to be clear here, my problem isn't with which one is worse. . .

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Lmao, "but but with critical thinking, if you take the total amount of fentanyl deaths minus a dosey doe, multiply it by patients/doctors/pharamacists, divided by 3.14159265359 and multivided by the square root of the border vs the U.S, we see it's not really THAT bad.

Ah!  So you figure if you make fun of rationality enough you can prove anything is dumb.  Bravo!  I will remember the next time you post anything numeric.

1 minute ago, billvon said:
1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Ah!  So you figure if you make fun of rationality enough you can prove anything is dumb.  Bravo!  I will remember the next time you post anything numeric.

Nah, can appreciate the rationality if you applied it equally.