1 1
JoeWeber

Biden is blowing it.

The Roe decision was leaked two months ago. A weak kneed executive order after the decision is published isn't leadership. A hell of a lot more screaming and hollering could happen after any of the near daily gun massacres. He could with a command be on TV decrying oil company price gouging, food producer price gouging, health care price gouging, you name your flavor du jour it doesn't matter the idea is to get out there displaying leadership. He isn't doing it. Yes he's doing a lot of good elsewhere and yes he saved us from Trump 2.0. But he's not measuring up now and now it's time to look ahead to who we want to run in 2024. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billeisele said:

He could start with leadership on border security. That is a primary function of the federal government.

In the meantime conservatives could help by not eating cantaloupes or getting their homes re-roofed to help ease the pressure for more migrant labor.

He could start with leadership on border security. That is a primary function of the federal government.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Except conservatives claim it doesn't apply to women of childbearing age or presidents who encourage rioting.

(edited)
17 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

The Roe decision was leaked two months ago. A weak kneed executive order after the decision is published isn't leadership. A hell of a lot more screaming and hollering could happen after any of the near daily gun massacres. He could with a command be on TV decrying oil company price gouging, food producer price gouging, health care price gouging, you name your flavor du jour it doesn't matter the idea is to get out there displaying leadership. He isn't doing it. Yes he's doing a lot of good elsewhere and yes he saved us from Trump 2.0. But he's not measuring up now and now it's time to look ahead to who we want to run in 2024. 

Hi Joe,

IMO Biden is a very nice guy.  It ends there.

Your post is exactly why I did not want Biden to get the nomination two yrs ago.

Joe Biden has been an achiever all of his life; he has never been & never will be, a leader.

If the Dems don't dump him ( 'I'm choosing to not run for re-election' ala LBJ in '68 ) then the GOP has a clear shot at the office.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Since it has just come out, I have not had a chance to read it [Hearts Touched With Fire] 

Washington insider David Gergen's advice for the nation's older political leaders: Step aside - CBS News

David Gergen - Wikipedia

ETA:  Hearts Touched with Fire | Book by David Gergen | Official Publisher Page | Simon & Schuster (simonandschuster.com)

Edited by JerryBaumchen

5 hours ago, billeisele said:

Sorry, not in the Constitution.  The only mention of immigration is that Congress shall "establish a uniform Rule of Naturalization."  They've done that; therefore they have fulfilled that part of the Constitution.

In fact, the Constitution expressly says that the federal government may NOT stop migrants from coming into the US, although that provision expired in 1808. 

And with the new Supreme Court interpretation of that document, that means stopping immigration is not a function of the federal government.

10 hours ago, billeisele said:

Why is it a primary function? Does it constitute national defense (which is definitely a primary function), when the people entering have a lower criminal offense rate than native-born Americans? What are they threatening?

Wendy P. 

5 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Why is it a primary function? Does it constitute national defense (which is definitely a primary function), when the people entering have a lower criminal offense rate than native-born Americans? What are they threatening?

Wendy P. 

Because of the magic caravan of course!!! You know - the one that appears every time fox and friends want something to rile up their less well educated base about! image.png.74db0ed44a0835351a957f5b21f75c6c.png

So a person who values,respects congress, the house and the presidency. Is forced to lead with both hands tied behind his back. A majority of none because some of his members have dual loyalties. An opposition that swears zero compromise from day one. Who is prepared to pander, lie and obstruct by any means.

A person who faces an extreme court who strikes down what they swore to uphold. Cuts the legs off from upright policy and law. One who did a decent job turning around lies and disinformation about a once in a lifetime pandemic. One who got the country out of a war that couldn't be won. Then reunited and rejoined a world coalition to face down Russian aggression.

Is "blowing" it?

Perhaps if his base spent less time moaning and complaining. Instead spent more time organizing the vote. Organizing the apathetic and disillusioned into action. Those who wish America would become a religious autocracy. With a court of willing apostles chosen to destroy liberalism. Would become defeated outcasts as they deserve.

15 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Is "blowing" it?

He is POTUS, but he is not providing any leadership. Leadership is a huge part of the job. He inspires no one. He is obviously not up to the job at this stage in his life. His only accomplishment, beating Trump, was important but not enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

So a person who values,respects congress, the house and the presidency. Is forced to lead with both hands tied behind his back. A majority of none because some of his members have dual loyalties. An opposition that swears zero compromise from day one. Who is prepared to pander, lie and obstruct by any means.

A person who faces an extreme court who strikes down what they swore to uphold. Cuts the legs off from upright policy and law. One who did a decent job turning around lies and disinformation about a once in a lifetime pandemic. One who got the country out of a war that couldn't be won. Then reunited and rejoined a world coalition to face down Russian aggression.

Is "blowing" it?

Perhaps if his base spent less time moaning and complaining. Instead spent more time organizing the vote. Organizing the apathetic and disillusioned into action. Those who wish America would become a religious autocracy. With a court of willing apostles chosen to destroy liberalism. Would become defeated outcasts as they deserve.

Of course the base is blowing it, we suck on our good day's. I do believe I'm on record extolling his foreign policy and foreign relations virtues. Also, I think I might have mentioned in passing what a bunch of treasonous assholes are too many of our  Republican Senators and Congress bastards, too. Certainly, I could have expounded further on the several lying, perjuring, back stabbing, self serving whack jobs, none of whom has the minimal integrity of a USPA Director, that we've installed for life on the highest Court in the land. And yes, Democrats did this to ourselves in the last election. So yes, Biden walked into a shit show. But he knew it upfront and took the job. Now he needs to use the bully pulpit to energize anyone open to being energized. I have to say, and I don't like saying it, his absence reminds me of Trumps absence in France at the honoring of WWI war dead. I am convinced he was concerned about his hair. I am fearful that Biden is concerned about appearing old. 

40 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

He is POTUS, but he is not providing any leadership. Leadership is a huge part of the job. He inspires no one. He is obviously not up to the job at this stage in his life. His only accomplishment, beating Trump, was important but not enough.

Unfair. Many leaders aren't truly inspirational.

37 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

.... Now he needs to use the bully pulpit to energize anyone open to being energized. ...

Agree. It almost seems as if the private WH chef and Washington life have captured him. He is MIA. Thankfully the republicans don't have a actively campaigning national leader.

32 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Agree. It almost seems as if the private WH chef and Washington life have captured him. He is MIA. Thankfully the republicans don't have a actively campaigning national leader.

That's it exactly. We voters are living on borrowed time, at least we have that in common with our President.

10 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P. 

It is the responsibility of law enforcement agencies to enforce the law. We have immigration laws. Homeland Security owns that task and has the US Border Patrol for that purpose.

If it's not the responsibility of the feds then it's interesting that they are complaining that TX is doing something about it. If it's not the feds job then should the US Border Patrol be abolished?

Along with illegal immigration comes drugs, sex trafficking, vicious gang members, known terrorists, and more.

Fentanyl (and the generic class of synthetic opioids and precursor chemicals) are primarily produced in China and smuggled to and in through Mexico. The death rate from these drugs has increased from about zero in 2014 to ~70,000 in 2021. Seems that would attract more attention. Then there is sex trafficking of, primarily, woman. We can't ignore that if we're screaming about a SC ruling. 

Yes, many immigrants are hard-working, law-abiding (except for illegal entry), productive people. Only time will tell the overall outcome from illegal immigration.

17 minutes ago, billeisele said:

....Yes, many immigrants are hard-working, law-abiding (except for illegal entry), productive people. Only time will tell the overall outcome from illegal immigration.

Over forty years now of the same policy of inaction on a national immigration policy by both parties. The net result 11,000,000 unfilled jobs that more immigration would address. Simultaneously acting to lower wage inflation.

(edited)
9 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

True. But if he expects to be re-elected he will need to inspire voters. Last time around Trump inspired them. If Joe and Donald are the nominees again Trump will win. Easily.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

It is the responsibility of law enforcement agencies to enforce the law.

If the President is responsible for enforcement of ALL the Federal laws it's hard to argue that border enforcement specifically is one of his primary responsibilities - because then almost everything else is as well. And then what does 'primary' really mean?

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

It is the responsibility of law enforcement agencies to enforce the law. We have immigration laws. Homeland Security owns that task and has the US Border Patrol for that purpose.

If it's not the responsibility of the feds then it's interesting that they are complaining that TX is doing something about it. If it's not the feds job then should the US Border Patrol be abolished?

Along with illegal immigration comes drugs, sex trafficking, vicious gang members, known terrorists, and more.

Fentanyl (and the generic class of synthetic opioids and precursor chemicals) are primarily produced in China and smuggled to and in through Mexico. The death rate from these drugs has increased from about zero in 2014 to ~70,000 in 2021. Seems that would attract more attention. Then there is sex trafficking of, primarily, woman. We can't ignore that if we're screaming about a SC ruling. 

Yes, many immigrants are hard-working, law-abiding (except for illegal entry), productive people. Only time will tell the overall outcome from illegal immigration.

Not to worry, Bill, you are irreplaceable.

27 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

True. But if he expects to be re-elected he will need to inspire voters. Last time around Trump inspired them. If Joe and Donald are the nominees again Trump will win. Easily.

Mostly true. The polls indicate that he'd win but "Easily"??. I'd say that he might have a hard time winning from a prison cell. But I've adopted Joe's position that US justice is woefully lacking. So that will never happen. Besides there are so many Americans that still have not learned their lessons about trumpism.

Imagine the payback if trump was re-elected. All the enemies he could and would target.The US Extreme Court in his back pocket. He has cleaned out the entire republican party of no-men. Only Liz Cheney remains, for now.

Not in the Constitution, so not an essential function of the federal government.  In fact, from the conservative "kill the fed" perspective, handing this function off to the states makes the most sense.  Texas doesn't like it?  Texas can build a wall.

Fentanyl (and the generic class of synthetic opioids and precursor chemicals) are primarily produced in China and smuggled to and in through Mexico. The death rate from these drugs has increased from about zero in 2014 to ~70,000 in 2021. 

Right - but only 55% of them are due to illegal (i.e. non-prescription) fentanyl, rather than legal fentanyl sources that are abused by patients/doctors/pharmacists.   And an even smaller percentage of that is from drugs coming across the border vs illegally made in the US.

So let's go with the 55% number to be conservative.  That means that there are 38,000 US deaths a year due to illegal cross-border fentanyl.

Let's compare that to gun deaths - 45,000 in 2021.  And we all know what the story is there - nothing can be done, thoughts and prayers.

So nothing can be done about cross-border fentanyl either, thoughts and prayers.  At least it's not as bad as gun deaths.

Yes, many immigrants are hard-working, law-abiding (except for illegal entry), productive people. Only time will tell the overall outcome from illegal immigration.

We know exactly what the outcome of illegal immigration in North America is - the United States of America.

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Hi Ken,

I'm with you.  Last time around he was in an Anybody But Trump scenario.

That will not work in two years.

Re:  he will need to inspire voters 

In 2008, a young, virtually unknown senator from Illinois did just that.  When I would listen to Obama speak, it reminded me of JFK in Berlin in the summer of '63.

When I listen to Biden speak, I am reminded of a very old man.  While I wish it were not true, age does take a toll.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 4

I still think Biden was the right person to run against Trump in 2020.  The country needed an alternative to the 24/7 insanity of the Trump administration.  "Boring but serious" got the job done.  I don't think it will work again though.  The Democrats need to put forward someone who is rational, charismatic, energetic, and younger, someone with the drive to lead an alternative to Trumpism and Republican white nationalistic Christian fundamentalism.  Most Americans, I hope, don't see the Handmaid's Tale as an aspirational vision of the future.  Surely the Democrats can find someone who can stand as a credible leader and offer a vision of what this country can be.  Biden isn't that person, he seems unwilling to take on Republican lies and dirty tricks. Perhaps he is still too stuck in the hope that Republican politicians will, in the end, do what is right for the country.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

I still think Biden was the right person to run against Trump in 2020.  The country needed an alternative to the 24/7 insanity of the Trump administration.  "Boring but serious" got the job done.  I don't think it will work again though.  The Democrats need to put forward someone who is rational, charismatic, energetic, and younger, someone with the drive to lead an alternative to Trumpism and Republican white nationalistic Christian fundamentalism.

Pete Buttigieg would be perfect for this except for that one 'flaw' that republicans - and even centrist bigots - will never accept about him.

(Talking about his impossible to pronounce last name of course.)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, billvon said:

Pete Buttigieg would be perfect for this except for that one 'flaw' that republicans - and even centrist bigots - will never accept about him.

Sounds like the kinda guy who'd use Dijon mustard. Unforgiveable.

8 minutes ago, billvon said:

Hi Bill,

Pete B was who I wanted to get the nomination two yrs ago.  I do agree that one 'flaw' can still be a problem.  

It is a damn shame that this country is not yet beyond that.

Jerry Baumchen