2 2
RonD1120

Others Looking at Worst Case Scenarios

Many have ridiculed and downplayed my warnings about the possible approach of SHTF. In addition to the viability of the north GA mountians, I recently became aware of some other orgainized options.

1. Fortitude Ranch:  https://fortituderanch.com/about-the-ranch/resort-facilities/ FR-locations-map-Feb-2022.png?time=1655854418

2. American Redoubt:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_RedoubtA_Map_of_The_American_Redoubt_-_Share-Alike_3.0_Licensed.jpg

3. The New Republic of Texas: Although this seems unlikely at this point in time, it is being discussed and may be a topic in the 2023 state legislature.

Edited by RonD1120
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Many have ridiculed and downplayed my warnings about the possible approach of SHTF. In addition to the viability of the north GA mountians, I recently became aware of some other orgainized options.

1. Fortitude Ranch:  https://fortituderanch.com/about-the-ranch/resort-facilities/ FR-locations-map-Feb-2022.png?time=1655854418

2. American Redoubt:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_RedoubtA_Map_of_The_American_Redoubt_-_Share-Alike_3.0_Licensed.jpg

3. The New Republic of Texas: Although this seems unlikely at this point in time, it is being discussed and may be a topic in the 2023 state legislature.

Great information. So, whilst we're whiling away SHTF here, in what used to be America, what ever do you suppose will going on elsewhere in the world outside of North Georgia? Are you thinking that our Chinese and Russian friends will simply be sitting back and cheering on our latest attempt at self determination?

28 minutes ago, RonD1120 said:

Many have ridiculed and downplayed my warnings about the possible approach of SHTF. 

I think that might have to do with the fact that you've been predicting it's imminent for about 15 years now.  Fool me once and all that.

Fortitude Ranch:

Somehow it's hard to take a survivalist encampment that offers "frisbee golf, horseshoes, walking and riding trails, swimming and boating, cross country skiing, and other activities" very seriously.  If it's a way to make money for a resort off people who believe that SHTF is imminent, well, good for them.

Although this seems unlikely at this point in time, it is being discussed and may be a topic in the 2023 state legislature.

I recall a previous attempt to secede did not end well for them.  And while Texas didn't see much in the way of battles during the Civil War, their end was quite ignominious.  They raised an army to support the South and shipped them east towards Mississippi.  The army didn't see much fighting.  When most of the South surrendered they were left with nothing to do.  Troops near Galveston mutinied.  Thousands of troops just went AWOL and went around the local area raping and stealing.  Others pillaged military storage facilities and made off with weapons and food for themselves.  They were often aided by Texas civilians.  The army was finally disbanded to prevent further depredations against civilians.

Given all that, I can't see an independent Texas working much better this time.  Their worst enemy is themselves.

1 hour ago, RonD1120 said:

It is very magnanimous of you to provide us with more targets for ridicule. Kudos, Ron.

(edited)
27 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

You also have been predicting the second coming of the Lord. I'm not sure which is less likely.

He may be right this time though. Doesn't god have to punish Evangelical Americans now for their deal with Lucifer re: trump/GOP/SC?

Drought, heat and "biblical" swarms of "Mormon crickets", grasshoppers are sweeping the west.

spacer.png

Edited by Phil1111

6 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Thanks Ron, sounds interesting.   I might be in a position to check some of these out during my travels, God willing.  I have family in many of these areas so it could turnout to be a decent network for us.  Who knows what to expect at this point, especially if in fact the Vatican is legislating from the Bench, so to speak.  I'll keep you posted and send a PM when I get a chance - been busy here packing up and getting ready to move on. . .

Take care, God Bless.

(edited)

I hate to break to any of you, but the place where the shit is going to really be hitting the fan will be within these survivalist compounds.  Thousands of armed civilians with skewed views of the world living out their own personal Biblical apocalyptic survival fantasy within what is essentially a micro-communist state.  What could possibly go wrong?

You wouldn't catch me within miles of one of those Hell-holes.

Edited by NewGuy2005

14 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I’m sure the leaders will keep a good stock of Kool-Ade on hand just in case.

That's the key point: who get's to be the leader? Will Ron get to be the leader of his faction on his plot way up in the woods? Will there be a vote? Will the vote be by ballot or bullet? So little time, so many fantasies.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:14 PM, RonD1120 said:

1. Fortitude Ranch...

First off, what is your expected progression for 'SHTF'?

How will it start? 
Who will start it?
Who will die first?

Where will the first shots be fired? (not necessarily a geographic location, but what sort of event?)

What will become so bad that it goes from unrest, to chaos, to total anarchy?
How long will that take?

Second off, that ranch place looks like a nice place to take a vacation.

But if 'SHTF', that place will be a hell of a target. I love the idea that they'll build walls after SHTF.

On 7/8/2022 at 12:14 PM, RonD1120 said:

...2. American Redoubt...

...3.The New Republic of Texas: Although this seems unlikely at this point in time, it is being discussed and may be a topic in the 2023 state legislature.

Oh please, 

The American Redoubt is a fantasy. By a novelist. A fiction writer.

The 'New Republic of Texas' is part of a role playing game scenario.

It's already been 'in existence' for a decade. 
It the 'world' where it exists, SHTF a loooooooong time ago.

Anyone suggesting that as 'reality' is a fool. Anyone proposing that it should really happen is a bigger fool.

23 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

How will it start? 

An accumulation of shit.

Who will start it?

The guy with the fan.

Who will die first?

Someone downwind?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NewGuy2005 said:

I hate to break to any of you, but the place where the shit is going to really be hitting the fan will be within these survivalist compounds. 

Shit would've already hit the fan, your residence for whatever reason is no longer fit for survival, what do you do, where do you go?  This is just but one of several options.

Thousands of armed civilians with skewed views of the world living out their own personal Biblical apocalyptic survival fantasy within what is essentially a micro-communist state.  What could possibly go wrong?

Doubt it would be thousands for any particular ranch within this network, but still, it's a  legitimate point that has to be considered, particularly in the long run.  It's not hard to imagine, but thanks for keeping inline with the thread title.

I'm always reminded of the North East Black out in 2003 when this stuff comes up.  I was headed back to Detroit after a nice day at the beach and as soon as I reached downtown I was trapped in utter chaos - cars jammed packed, abandoned, people freaking out, nobody knowing wtf was going on, what to do nor where to go - and that was just the first couple hours.  It lasted only a few days - could only imagine had it lasted for an extended period.  Don't really care to be left that vulnerable again.  Learned a big lesson that day.

You wouldn't catch me within miles of one of those Hell-holes.

Perhaps one of the reasons it's attractive.  Maybe you'd prefer the Superdome style of survival:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/trapped-in-the-superdome-refuge-becomes-a-hellhole/

43 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Shit would've already hit the fan, your residence for whatever reason is no longer fit for survival, what do you do, where do you go?  This is just but one of several options.

Doubt it would be thousands for any particular ranch within this network, but still, it's a  legitimate point that has to be considered, particularly in the long run.  It's not hard to imagine, but thanks for keeping inline with the thread title.

I'm always reminded of the North East Black out in 2003 when this stuff comes up.  I was headed back to Detroit after a nice day at the beach and as soon as I reached downtown I was trapped in utter chaos - cars jammed packed, abandoned, people freaking out, nobody knowing wtf was going on, what to do nor where to go - and that was just the first couple hours.  It lasted only a few days - could only imagine had it lasted for an extended period.  Don't really care to be left that vulnerable again.  Learned a big lesson that day.

Perhaps one of the reasons it's attractive.  Maybe you'd prefer the Superdome style of survival:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/trapped-in-the-superdome-refuge-becomes-a-hellhole/

How about not living the one life you can be certain you have in gleeful anticipation of an apocalypse or reasonable facsimile thereof? You or Ron, in fact no one, has any track record or factual standard to believe what you apparently believe. No matter, waste your one life if it pleases you so much. While you are assembling your network of cave habitats in fear of unfounded concerns, I'll be traveling the world, seeing new things, meeting new people and just trying to enjoy my life. You're still alive, man, it's not too late to shake off what limits you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

SHTF is a long time fantasy for many in the US.  And it means something different for everyone.

For older conservatives, it means a failure of everything that frightens them - the internet, EV's, solar power, trans people, liberal democracy, Whoopi Goldberg etc etc.  It's a return to an earlier time, where family was central, where kids played outside without a care in the world, where a strong white man got respect, where your source of news was a newspaper you bought, where women and blacks knew their place and weren't trying to be men.  It's a return to their nostalgic youth.  MAGA is an example of this desire.  (This is, of course, an illusion of a past that never existed - but it's a powerful illusion for many.)

For gun fanciers, it means that THEY are finally in charge.  All their lives they have associated guns with power, only to be frustrated by a world that values achievement, money, power and justice over deadly force.  Once SHTF and police/the courts go away, then they are in charge.  They don't need to worry about food; they will take yours.  They don't need to worry about reprisals, because they have fearsome weapons that will give them all the power they ever wanted.  They don't need to worry about anything any more, because the world has been rearranged to put them at the top.

For religous conservatives, it means the Second Coming.  (Note that Ron has said that these two don't actually coincide.)  For them, it is an end to people who doubted their beliefs and sacrifices; it will be Jesus coming back to smite everyone who's not a believer, and who hasn't sacrificed and toiled like the Chosen People.  No more secular government, no more Muslims or Wiccans or Hindus.  And for many believers, no more of the "wrong" type of Christianity.  There's a dozen different scenarios of how this plays out.  Oddly most of them aren't much like what's written in Revelations, since that's pretty horrific for believers and sinners alike.

For survivalists, it means validation that their paranoia and efforts to prepare haven't been in vain.  It's a big middle finger to all the people who told them that they should be prioritizing their families, their careers, their health etc over getting ready for SHTF.  There's a large overlap with the gun people here.

For others it means a fresh start - an end of whatever part of their life has been dogging them.  Alcoholics will no longer have access to alcohol, and addicts won't be able to get their fix.  People with failed relationships, criminal pasts or horrible family situations could have all that erased with the drop of a hat (or an asteroid) and see a fresh start in a world where _they_ might come out on top due to their charisma, strength or force of will.

To a large degree, many of these people share part of the same ideology of one type of suicide victim - the sort that believes "once I kill myself, they will all be sorry for what they did!"  These SHTF supporters don't want to die, but do share the belief that the world ending will be a GOOD thing for them, and that all the things that make their lives possible (water, health care, food etc) will sort of take care of themselves, or will be amenable to a simple, easy solution (i.e. taking that rich fuck's food who gave me shit about all my guns.)  And their detractors will either perish or be easy pickings.

The amazing variety of doomsday movies/novels/series plays into this.  There's a very large contingent in the US, for example, who loves to see LA destroyed; there are literally dozens of movies depicting exactly that in great detail.  These movies often go into detail on who ends up on top and what challenges they face, which is part of the fantasy for a lot of these types.

However I find books to do a much better job considering all the changes and adaptations that might come about.  Some notable books include:

One Second After, a book about an EMP attack.  It contains a fairly standard ex-military hero who saves his whole town from evil government minions.  Good description of how society rebuilds.

The Slow Apocalypse, a book about running out of oil.  A fairly realistic look at a disaster where an oil-eating bacteria gets loose in the oilfields of the world.  (And stars Lake Elsinore, which is a cool connection for skydivers.)

Earth Abides, another attempt at a realistic end-of-the-world scenario where most people are killed off by a pandemic.  Especially interesting since it was written in the 1940's and thus brings an 80 year old perspective to the issue.

The Stand, a Stephen King book that, while it has his usual horror stuff in it, has a fairly believable background of what the Earth looks like after a similar plauge, and how society rebuilds itself.

Lucifer's Hammer, a book about an asteroid impact that almost ends civilization.  A long description of what such an impact would do to the US and the people who live here.

• Like 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Case in point: Sri Lanka

Where people wait politely for days in line for their turn at all of life's essentials. "Sri Lanka, with 70.2% of the population identifying as Buddhist. Of the remaining Sri Lankan population, 12.6% identify as Hindu, 9.7% identify as Muslim and 6.1% identify as Christian."

Perhaps its because there are so few christians with AR-15s running around.

Edited by Phil1111
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, RonD1120 said:

Case in point: Sri Lanka

The announcements -- which protesters celebrated by singing on the streets and setting off fireworks -- marked a historic victory for the protesters,

Could it get any worse?

3 hours ago, jakee said:

The announcements -- which protesters celebrated by singing on the streets and setting off fireworks -- marked a historic victory for the protesters,

Could it get any worse?

Sri Lankan protesters are swimming in the pool of the presidential residence. You can smell their shit hitting the fan from the mansion next door.

On 7/10/2022 at 12:36 AM, JoeWeber said:

How about not living the one life you can be certain you have in gleeful anticipation of an apocalypse or reasonable facsimile thereof?

Gleeful? Anticipation?

On 7/10/2022 at 12:36 AM, JoeWeber said:

No matter, waste your one life if it pleases you so much. While you are assembling your network of cave habitats in fear of unfounded concerns

I think you're reading a bit too much into this and allowing your bias to blind you from why I'd see value here, particularly for a single person or retired couple traveling the country extensively, likely in an RV or similar fashion.  The fact that it can double as a shelter during a local emergency or natural disaster is just a bonus.

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Gleeful? Anticipation?

I think you're reading a bit too much into this and allowing your bias to blind you from why I'd see value here, particularly for a single person or retired couple traveling the country extensively, likely in an RV or similar fashion.  The fact that it can double as a shelter during a local emergency or natural disaster is just a bonus.

Alrighty, then, so the apocalyptic second coming is not a cause for gleeful anticipation in certain circles and a network of SHTF armed and stocked redoubts is just a way of providing a bit of needed security for retired RVer's. Got it.

18 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:
1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Gleeful? Anticipation?

Alrighty, then, so the apocalyptic second coming is not a cause for gleeful anticipation in certain circles and a network of SHTF armed and stocked redoubts is just a way of providing a bit of needed security for retired RVer's. Got it.

It's whatever you or other people want to make it out to be.

I'm simply telling you where I see the value.

5 minutes ago, Coreece said:

It's whatever you or other people want to make it out to be.

I'm simply telling you where I see the value.

That's fine. I see not only zero value but a great deal of harm. We don't need to be stoking paranoiac fears of impending doom and societal collapse; fears and predictions that are regurgitated and trumpeted again and again and yet again and again never occur. I say go with the evidence and enjoy what time on the planet you have.