Brad2

How to know when its time to downsize

Hey there fellas, I am after some advice on downsizing. I hve a little over 150 jumps total, I am on a B license trhough the APF
( I jump mainly NSW and Vic in Australia).

I downsized from a sabre 170 to a crossfire 150 about 60 jumps ago but I really feel ready to hit up a kitanna or a JVX.

I am very confident wwith my canopy skills and I have a few hours tunnel time now.My ultimate goal is to specialize in freeflying and swooping,
they seem to just go together really well.

What do you guys think?

monkycndo

What do you guys think?

Your trollage is weak.

But... but... he only weighs 78 pounds. With the 150 and the 170, he spent an average of 45 minutes per jump in canopy flight!
Low jump #'s, but shitloads of canopy experience. Give the man at least a comp Velo, otherwise he'll be able to swoop twice on each landing. ;)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

If you're considering a JVX you should skip the Katana and go straight for a Velocity for 20-30 jumps then, when you're experienced with a cross-brace, get a Valkyrie.

If you insist on a Katana, please get a very small one.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Please make sure to keep your GoPro (you *do* have aGoPro already, of course?) on through the landing pattern so we can all see your "confidence" in action.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

skyjumpenfool

Hmmm?

Dizzy.com has a great archive of "Am I ready to downsize" threads. Do some research....

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=Downsizing&sb=score&mh=25

OP has made 1 post of the site under that name...any questions? ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Brad2

Hey guys thanks for the info ill take it all on board. My exit weight is 98kg, not pounds, I was in a rush setting up the profile and diddnt set the right metric. I was told to ask on here by a mate at the dz.

Cheers

So you're flying a Crossfire 2 150 @ a 1.6 wingload with 168 jumps ...... [:/] ...... and you want to downsize ,,,,,,,

Life is short ... jump often.

Brad2

Hey guys thanks for the info ill take it all on board. My exit weight is 98kg, not pounds, I was in a rush setting up the profile and diddnt set the right metric. I was told to ask on here by a mate at the dz.

Cheers

When people ask if they should downsize, I compare it to going to a restaurant that doesn't post the prices of the food. If you have to ask, you can't afford to eat there and following that thought, if you have to ask if you should, you shouldn't downsize.

There are bazillions of threads on here about skills you should have before you consider downsizing. First thing you should answer to yourself, why do you want to. And it shouldn't be because it is cool, you want a smaller rig or everyone else does it.

Regarding the Crossfire, other than the person wanting to sell it to you, doubt anyone would suggest that canopy type at your jump number. When I started, you had to have 500 jumps to even demo the canopy.

And a good rule of thumb for wingloading. Stay at or below 1.0:1 for first 100 jumps, then add 0.1 for each 100 after that. Edited to add, going below a 150sf canopy no matter the wingloading puts the jumper in the high performance range by size alone.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Brad2

I was told to ask on here by a mate at the dz.

I think your mate has a dry sense of humour, and what he was really saying is "it's not time to downsize".
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?