airdvr

Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Spanking (not beating)

• I spank(ed) my kids
    • I never spank(ed) my kids

12 hours ago, gowlerk said:

There just isn’t enough context in your question to say. And it’s unlikely you could give it if you tried. Most likely the behaviour is something that didn’t just happen randomly. Everyone is different and every child is different.

True.  I'm sure everyone has different results.  She has been the helicopter parent from the beginning.  One would think that by age 7 it would be working better than it is but I think it's a combo of spoiled (it's partly our fault...he has 4 sets of grandparents) and a course of action that is ineffective at best.  I'm not sure what consequences he endures as a result of his actions.  He's only allowed to watch a limited amount of TV...no access to phones/ipad/computers.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:45 PM, gowlerk said:

The only place for spanking is in the bedroom or dungeon between consenting adults.

You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman: Stuff you pay good money for in later life.

-- Emo Philips

• Like 2

(edited)

I look at physical contact as a point on the continuum of communication.  I don’t spank my kids as a punishment, I use touch to get their attention. A swat on the butt or a smack on the top of the head can be a cntrl-alt-delete for an out of control child.  When I was in school getting whacked with a paddle was par for the course.  The irony is that because we had corporal punishment, it was rarely needed.

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

We had fewer school shooting when I was a kid

Because they were scared that after shooting as many kids as possible and themselves they’d be whacked with a paddle?

By the way, know what else you had a lot less of when you were a kid? Guns. I wonder if that could be relevant. By way of comparison where I live we have less corporal punishment, stricter gun laws and fewer school shootings than when I was a kid.

Edited by jakee

37 minutes ago, jakee said:

Because they were scared that after shooting as many kids as possible and themselves they’d be whacked with a paddle?

By the way, know what else you had a lot less of when you were a kid? Guns. I wonder if that could be relevant. By way of comparison where I live we have less corporal punishment, stricter gun laws and fewer school shootings than when I was a kid.

Not true, me and my friends went pheasant hunting after school and we all had guns on school grounds, we had a rifle team and a rifle range in the school basement. The AR style of firearm has been around for more than a half century.  It’s not the guns.

45 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Not true, me and my friends went pheasant hunting after school and we all had guns on school grounds, we had a rifle team and a rifle range in the school basement. The AR style of firearm has been around for more than a half century. 

More guns now doesn’t mean no guns then. I didn’t think the logic was that hard to follow. 

46 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It’s not the guns.

Right, so you’re saying two separate things that changed might not be connected? I believe you can now continue this argument with yourself.

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Not true, me and my friends went pheasant hunting after school and we all had guns on school grounds, we had a rifle team and a rifle range in the school basement. The AR style of firearm has been around for more than a half century.  It’s not the guns.

How many pheasants did teenage Brent take down with a semi-auto?

*Growing up we had a birch tree just south of our house on the edge of our property that partridge just fucking loved.  Used to be able to open the bathroom window, drop one with the .22 and be eating a few hours later.

21 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I drove my parents' truck that had a gun rack in the back window.  To be clear, I never had rifles in the rack while at school.  However, what we did have was strict training and supervision before being able to handle a firearm (as a minor).  No one seemed to have a problem with common sense gun rules (training, background check, licensing) in my small town.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:48 AM, TriGirl said:

I drove my parents' truck that had a gun rack in the back window.  To be clear, I never had rifles in the rack while at school.  However, what we did have was strict training and supervision before being able to handle a firearm (as a minor).  No one seemed to have a problem with common sense gun rules (training, background check, licensing) in my small town.

was close to the same for me, but i did go to a highschool that had a gunsmithing course so i did take guns to school to work on and made a few there also. but now if you even point your fingers like a gun you can get expelled from school. forget about teaching safe handling schools would never allow that now.